Support

PS3 Support

PS3 Support

30 Jun 2012
By: eimantaslad01 Member 11 Posts
Level 1

HELP:My PS3 keeps turning off by itself!

87 Replies 97829 Views Created 30-06-2012

Right so I have been experiencing a problem with my PS3 lately. When I get into a game or when I start to load it up, the PS3 just randomly turns itself off, as if the plug was pulled out of the socket. So when I restart it, it will ask me to restore the data, because it may be corrupt (but it isn't). So after I restore it, I try to start up a game, and the same thing happens! It shuts down by itself...

I looked this problem up, and it appeared to be because of over-heating. So I cooled the back vents of my playstation with a hairdryer, and left it alone for a while. After this I did manage to play one full game, but after that, the system did the same thing, it shut down. So I felt the PS3 and it was a little hot. So I don't know what to do, this has never happened before, but it has been a more occuring experience over the past few days. PLEASE HELP!

Thanks in advance!

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 88 (97,829 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Re: HELP:My PS3 keeps turning off by itself!

check if the switch whre you plug your ps3 is properly plugged and is not sparking. i think that could be the problem.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 88 (97,814 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Let me just be more specific.

When start to play, it will just shut off, with no signal and no triple beeps. I checked everything, the wiring, the socket, everything (except the inside of it). It all is in good condition. But I still experience the same thing.

I think my power supply is *****ed.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 88 (97,806 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Sounds like it keeps over heating. What model is it? If it is the old fat model then tbh I think you should get all the saves of the system and deactiveate the account and buy a new slim PS3.

PS4 best console ever! Deep Down Exclusive, Drive Club Exclusive, Planetside 2 PS4/PC Exclusive YEAR OF THE PS4!

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 88 (97,801 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

No, mine is the PS3 slim.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 88 (97,790 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

ive been having the same problem with y slim ps3 as well :smileysad:

Deboss1997
2013 MNR Tournament!! Wooooh!!
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 88 (97,711 Views)
0 Kudos

Hi, 

I´m having the same problem. I have the old fat model though, but basically it´s doing the same thing as yours. The thing is that its only happening when I'm playing MW3 multiplayer. It works fine for hours when I´m playing campaign mode or any other game. What I´ve found out about this is that it has been happening for a while now. People playing MW2 where having the same problem. I played it for days and days and never had a problem ´till now with MW3 and it has been only recently for the last month or so.I have had this game since december and never had a problem with it ´till now. People are saying it may be because an update that was done, that this game includes new "technology" that the old models can´t support. So basically a new system update could fix this, but you say you have a slim model so it doesn´t add up. I had only seen people complaigning about fat models. I was just recently on vacation so I tried playing throughout all times of the day and in my experience I found out that I could play for an extended period of time in non-pick hours. This would be during the morning and the early evening. In this time periods I was able to play for at least 6 games and then it would turn off again. Also, when I turn on the playstation for the first time and start playing a multiplayer game it will crash in the start of the game. I have tu turn it back on, do the restore part, and start playing again being able to play an average of 4 to 6 games before it crashes again. The free maps that were recently launched are giving problems as well. I'm not able to play even a full game with the faceoff maps. I´m getting really frustrated about this because what I'm able to find is just people like us sharing our experiences, but no one is Playstation is saying something about it. So if you find out anything please give me a heads up and it will be much appreciated. 

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 88 (97,606 Views)
0 Kudos

yes fat ps3

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 88 (97,475 Views)
0 Kudos

i had the exact sam problem with my slim 120gb i could probably fit it about three games of call of duty which is 30 mins and it would just switch off... but the i noticed if i just left it at the XMB menu ( menu before you start games videos etc) that it wouldnt switch itself off.so what i did is used my hoover and sucked out the majority of the dust from the vents so that the fans wouldnt have to do so much work and i could play games for a bit more than an hour then it would switch off.

i got really angry with this so i decided to go and purchase the 320gb and so far so good, i try not to play it as much to try and prevent the same thing from happening if over use was the problem.

FINALLY,

i made a last discovery... the playstation 3 slim ( every gb ) can hold a current of 220V-240V but i had a closer look at the power cord Sony supplied us with, has a current of 250V so its right the Ps3 would over heat but your ps3 is good as gone mate

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 88 (97,195 Views)
0 Kudos

I am also having the same problem :Confused :smileysad:  i am going to try cleaning the air vents. Oh by the way the cable is fine thats not why its overheating. Sony put 250volts on ther because that is the max capacity of the cable.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 88 (92,926 Views)
0 Kudos