26 Dec 2011
Playstation Staff

[HELP] ps3 screen goes black randomly

33 Replies 33,824 Views Created 26-12-2010
Okay so i got my new ps3 two days ago. I use a HDMI/DVI cable and the latest updates are installed. So the problem is that when i use my Playstation 3, the screen goes black for about a second and then returns to normal. This happens about once in 5 minutes, but it can do this more usually also. I have tried to reconnect the cables. This is very annoying, when theres a bad situation running in a game and at the critical moment, it goes black.... Please help me, this ***** me off!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 34 (33,824 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

Re: [HELP] ps3 screen goes black randomly

Have you tried looking in settings->display settings to see if anything is wrong there.

Also, this is wrong forum board for your question. This board is just for playstation home questions. Playstation home is sony's social media application :smileywink:

Follow fi8767 on Twitter
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 34 (33,769 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Hi, I had this problem. Got really annoying.

I replaced my HDMI cable and the problem hasn't happened since.

PSN: Stevens_2k9
XBL: ST3V3NS1992
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 34 (33,743 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Agreed.  That's an issue with either the HDMI cable or the socket on the TV that it connects to.  I'd be surprised if this was your PS3.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 34 (33,716 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Oh crap... I tried to use the PS3 with another tv and another hdmi-cable, worked fine... So the problem is in my damn TV... I guess there isn't a way to fix the socket (tried to remove the dust). But I could still try to buy a new cable and see if that works.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 34 (33,640 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I'm glad i've seen someone else with the same exact problem....

Works fine on my 32" LG tv via HDMI or scart. used via HDMI on 1080p

Works fine on an old sony rear projection tv via scart

However take it to my girlfriends who has one of these technika tv's ( tesco branded i think decent enough tv with hdmi ports vga etc.... this is where the problems begin.

Connects and displays picture fine however will randomly flash black for 3 seconds or so then teh picture comes back. completely random when it happens and can happen throughout a movie via divx from hdd or playing a game.

On a few occassions it has flashed black and the picture does not come back on. so do video rest upon rebooting and works for a few mins and does it again. Tried all resolutions and screensaver and all other options in display but never got it to work fine with that tv.

Xbox 360 competely fine.

Phoned sony at one point who were very helpful and was going to send me a new ps3 out next day but decided not to because not had my slim 250gb 5 months yet and plus it works at home ok.

Makes me wonder what it is if it aint just me having the same problem???

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 34 (33,623 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I'm experiencing this exact issue too. I'm glad I'm not alone, but it's bitter sweet. 

I got the Move bundle 2 weeks ago and after about 15 minutes of playing Sports Champions in 1080p the screen will temporarily flash black for about 1-2 seconds. Audio continues while the screen is black. The game does not appear to pause or stutter while the screen is black. The game will play normally for about 2-3 minutes and then the screen will flash black again for about 1-2 seconds. This cycle will continue until I turn off the PS3. The issue only starts once I load the game, but the issue persists even when I quit and return to the XMB home menu.

My TV is a 46" 120hz LG model 46LD550-UB and I connect to it through HDMI. I use the same HDMI connection for audio as well. The TV is capable of receiving firmware updates and is running the latest version. The TV has a Game Mode display setting that disables Tru-Motion which is some sort of 120hx upscaling. Changing this one way or the other didn't have an effect. I also tried all other HDMI ports on my TV.

If I change the display resolution of the PS3 to 1080i the issue does not occur. I'm able able to watch Blu Ray movies in 1080p without any issues, but I was watching Salt on DVD and the issue started after about 40 minutes into the movie. I also tried turning off the 24p setting on the PS3.

I tested with two of the games from the demo disc and did not experience the issue. These games do not play directly from the disc though. They have to be installed to the hard drive first. The games were Eyepet and The Shoot.

I tested on my brother's Sony Bravia in 1080p and we played Sports Champions for about an hour and a half without any issues using the same HDMI cable. I still bought a higher quality cable from Monoprice.com to test with, but haven't had a chance yet. I don't really suspect the cable since the Blu Ray worked fine in 1080p with the 24p setting on Auto.

The thing that makes my crazy here is that Sports Champions only supports up to 1080i. Why would it matter if I have the PS3 set to 1080 i or p. The game is only playing in 1080i right? I'm leaning toward an issue with the TV. Sorry for the long post.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 34 (33,242 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

i had the same problem last year with the slim i brought a "monster hdmi" thinking only the best will work......wrong it kept blacking out so i changed back to my 99p hdmi from flebay and never had the problem since.

all in all your only paying for a name lol

keep that in mind!!!!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 34 (33,226 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

my screen also does the same thing, but only on certain games and nothing else on the tv does, even when i change my hdmi. what is the real issue.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 34 (32,847 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

well im having this issue aswell and it sucks goes black for 2 secs about every 5 t0 10 mins i just bought a new slim bundle and a 47 "  lg tv now if i play on my old tv without the hdmi it works just fine so far ive tried 2 different hdmi cables and it  still does it i called LG and they ve never heard of any issues like this so im stumpped and pist if anyone has some other suggestions feel free to suggest away

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 34 (32,552 Views)
0 Kudos