31 Mar 2012
Playstation Staff

Help.... PS3 keeps freezing

36 Replies 58,540 Views Created 01-04-2012

Hi,

Once again I am trying to sort my sons PS3. Keeps freezing during games. Can't do anything with it except unplugging it.

Can anyone help me with how to sort this.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 37 (58,540 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Re: Help.... PS3 keeps freezing

Any game? Or specific games?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 37 (58,536 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Any game. When it freezes the only button that will work is the eject. Can't even turn PS3 off

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 37 (58,531 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

what model is it?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 37 (58,528 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

CECH-2502B...Does that make sense. About a year old 320gb I think

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 37 (58,524 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

I would recommend giving your local Sony support number a call. You can find the number in the back cover of any of your game manuals.

I suspect (based on the very limited information provided, so I could be wrong) that you will need to go to the recovery menu and do a rebuild on the harddrive. I've never needed to use the recovery menu so I can't recall how to get there, but the friendly Sony rep can help you with that.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 37 (58,521 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Hi there,

You should always turn off your console by either using the PS button on the controller, and then selecting "Turn Off System" - if the console seems to be freezing, then you should still be able to turn off the console by pressing and holding the power button - you may need to hold it for at least 30 seconds. This should always work.

If you don't turn the PS3 off correctly, it may damage the data on the hard drive, sometimes causing irreparable issues.

To get into safe mode / recovery / diagnostice mode (all different names for the same thing) -

Plug in your console. Press and hold the power button on the console, keep holding it unti it turns off again.

Then, press and hold the power button until you hear a double beep.

You will then be prompted to connect your controller using the USB cable and press the PS button.

You will be prompted with 6 options.

Option 3 will resolve most basic issues with freezing.

Option 4 will act like a 'defrag' does on your PC - reorganise all your data so it's more easily accessible (quicker)

Option 5 will complete a quick restore of your PS3 (this will delete all the data on your PS3's hard drive)

If this sounds daunting, or doesn't work as above, please call your local PlayStation Support Centre and we can go through the best troubleshooting options over the phone.

-sbs

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 37 (58,512 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Thanks for that. All went pretty good (I think)

Updates were all up to date, however now when trying to install 2.05 comes up with Error Code '80710736'

Would you be able to help with this please.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 37 (58,501 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Hey again,

Not 100% on the '80710736' error code - it's not in the official database.

But, anything starting with 8071 generally relates to network connectivity issues.

3 things to ensure:

1. If you're using WiFi, ensure the signal strength is consistent, and above 75% (also replace with Ethernet if possible, to test)

2. Make sure you are using the PlayStation in isolation (make sure your computer is not downloading a movie in the background - if possible power off, turn off WiFi or unplug any other Internet capable device)

3. Check with your ISP to ensure your speed has not been capped, or they don't have any other general service issues.

If possible, try another ISP (take your console to a mate's place)

-sbs

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 37 (58,499 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Legend,

Will give it a go now kids have parked up PSPs, Laptops etc etc.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 37 (58,497 Views)
0 Kudos