24 Jun 2012

Playstation Staff
Accepted Solution

Help!!- ps3 turns itself off

[ Edited ]
6 Replies 1,543 Views edited 25-06-2012

Hey guys, my ps3 (slim 120gb) has been turning itself off after about 20 mins of use.. theres no warning, no flashing lights, just a 'donk' noise and its off. i can hear the fan working when its on, so i dont think that its an overheating issue? i would be really appreciate any help :smileyhappy:

Jenny

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7 (1,543 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

Re: Help!!- ps3 turns itself off :(

Off with no lights at all?
Follow fi8767 on Twitter
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7 (1,539 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Nope, no lights. As if i pulled the plug out :/

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7 (1,536 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

Have you tried a different power cable and power socket?
Follow fi8767 on Twitter
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7 (1,519 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I have, and the same thing is happening. Ive also formatted the ps3, and tried taking the hdmi lead out, incase that was the cause.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7 (1,513 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

Sounds like the power supply has gone faulty unfortunately :smileysad:

If you call sony customer support (number below) they should be able to sort out a refurbishment for you at a cost of around £128. You could also just buy a new console if you don't wish to spend all that money for a refurbished machine with only 3 months warranty. Up to you.

Customer support number is 0844 736 0595 for the UK

For other countries go to:
http://www.community.eu.playstation.com/t5/Technical-Help/Contact-Us-Playstation-Support-Number/m-p/...

Follow fi8767 on Twitter
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7 (1,507 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I have a similar prob, just one q though. If it is the powersupply giving probs, why would the system then start up and run for 20-30 mins. Also this does not happen with all my games either, I games that seem to give me this prob is GT5 and Mass Effect2. I also experience probs playing ANY DVD, similar prob. I can however play Rede dead redemption, Lost planet, God of war, Darksiders, etc. I have heard from guys repairing the ps3s in my country that it can be the processor pulling away from the mb, causing overheating of the processor, ***** ? Don't the mean that the cooling between the heatsink and the processor, surely the mb is not responsible for the cooling on the processor. Pls any help in this regard will be much appreciated.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7 (1,468 Views)
0 Kudos