98%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

How To: The DLNA thread

40 Replies 14,272 Views Created 05-08-2008

This guide will tell you how to stream files to your PS3 through DLNA. Provided by HSVDude

Vista and Xp Setup

Software Requirements:
You will need Windows Media Player 11, this is included in Windows Vista. This will also work with Windows Xp but you will need Windows Media Player 11 installed.

Hardware Requirements:
This should be compatible with any modern hardware capable of running Vista or Xp well.

You must also be connected to a Wireless or Wired network.

Setup:
1. Launch Windows Media Player 11
2. Press alt, select tools from the dropdown menu and select options.
3. Select the Library tab then click the configure sharing button.
4. Tick the share my media box then press ok to the options windows (leave Windows Media Player open).
5. Boot your PS3.
6. A prompt should come up.
7. Go back into Windows Media Player and perform steps 1,2 and 3 again.
8. There should be an icon saying Unknown device, if there isn't make sure your PS3 is connected to the network.
9. Select it and select allow.
10. Press ok and close the Windows.
11. This should now be working, an icon saying Windows Media Player 11 and your pc name should be there.

Select Ok to any firewall prompts

Troubleshooting:
Q. I cannot connect to my computer but the icon is on the XMB.
A. Select the search for media servers icon again.

Q. It still won't work.
A. You may need to configure your firewall.

Note:
You can only open your streamed video files under the video menu or view your photos in the photo menu and so on. If you try to view them under other menus they will not open.

Image:
user posted image

Adding MP4 files to your Windows Media Player library for streaming:
For MS Windows XP Media Centre Edition
MS Windows XP Home/Professional - Pending
MS Windows Vista Basic/Premium - Pending

To play and add MP4/AVI files to WMP11 you need to download and install 2 files to allow WMP to read and display MP4/AVI then you need to alter some registry to get WMP11 to accept the files into their library.

First of all, pay a visit to this site:
http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/ho...y_mp4_files.cfm

And scroll down to 'Recommended Solution'. Follow the instructions from there, downloading and install both files, Haali Media Splitter and FFDShow. After both those files are installed and configured as per the instructions, you should now be able to play MP4/AVI files via WMP11. The only problem is, WMP11 holds them in the 'Other' section of the Library, the one section the PS3 cannot access.

To get WMP11 to recognize MP4/AVI as Video files, we need to delve into the Registry to tell it to recognize these file types.

Disclaimer
Before going any further, people who don't know, altering the registry is the core of your Windows System, messing this next part up or changing something that isn't meant to be change can damage and kill your copy of Windows. This is how I did it and it worked fine, although I accept no responsibilty if your computer goes down the *****ter.

Before going on you have to close Windows Media Player if you still have it running. It is also very recommended that you make a recovery point so if something does go wrong, you can hopefully recover to the time where your computer was working fine.

Anywho, on with the instructions.

Visiting the following site, Alan Stevens (don't know who he is, just credit goes to him for this next part) had already done what I was trying to do, except with a different file format. AAC instead of MP4/AVI. So I took his code he had done for AAC format and worked it to my liking for WMP11 to accept MP4/AVI.

AAC Registry Code is at the bottom of the linked page if your interested. Called m4a.reg.txt.
http://netcave.org/PermaLink,guid,ffead613...4ef7b656ef.aspx

1. Anywho, to alter the registry, Click on your Start Menu, click on 'Run' and type 'Regedit' (without the ' ' ) and hit Enter.

2. Expand the folders, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> Multimedia -> WMPlayer -> Extensions -> and click the folder .mp4

If there is no .mp4 folder:
When you get to the Extensions folder and the .mp4 folder isnt found within you need to create it. Right Click on the Extensions folder, click 'New' and then click 'Key'

Name the new folder .mp4

Click on the newly named .mp4 folder where there will be just one entry called "default"

Right Click within the folder, select 'New' (the only option when you right click) and select 'DWORD Value'

Call this value 'Permissions' and hit enter. (without the ' ' just so ya know.)

Right Click on 'Permissions' and select Modify (in bold)

In the Value box, type 'f' and select OK.

Now we need to make one more file. Once again, right click within the folder and select 'New' then Select 'DWORD Value'

Call this new 'DWORD Value' Runtime

Right click on the newly named 'Runtime' and select Modify (in bold)

In the Value entry box, type '7' and hit ok.

(.mp4 creation instructions end here)

user posted image

3. Right Click within the folder which will bring up a menu with one option. New. Click on New and add a new String Value. Call this new string 'Extension.Handler'

user posted image

4. Right Click on this new string you've just named and click MODIFY (in bold)

user posted image

5. In the new window, under where it says Value Data, type 'mp4file' and click OK.

user posted image

6. Thats the start, you now need to do this 3 more times in this section repeating steps 3 - 5 except using the following names and values

New String Name: PerceivedType
Value: Video
New String Name: AlreadyRegistered
Value: Yes
New String Name: MediaType.Description
Value: MP4 Format Video

7. Check that your screen looks EXACTLY the same as my completed screen here before going on.

8. Expand the folders, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> MediaPlayer -> MLS -> and click on the folder Extensions

user posted image

9. Right Click inside that folder and make a New String, as you did before.

10. Call the new string 'mp4'

11. Right Click on the new string just named mp4 and click MODIFY (in bold)

12. Enter the Value Data as 'Video', the end result of this step should look like the picture from instruction 8.

And your done! Close the window and load up WMP11. If all goes well, you should now be able to add MP4/AVI videos to WMP11 library and they will show up under the Video Tab, therefore accessable to the PS3.

Macintosh OS X setup

Software Requirements:
You will need to download and install TwonkyMedia.

Hardware Requirements:
Any Mac OS X computer connected to a Wired/Wireless network should work fine.

Setup:
1) After installing TwonkyMedia (above) you must restart your computer.
2) Open up a web browser to http://localhost:9000/.
3) Browse through each of the settings. The important one is to point TwonkyMedia at your iTunes Library xml file (note DRM'd files won't be playable).
4) If you make any changes, select restart server.
5) Enable DLNA from the network options on your PS3.
6) Scan for media servers.
7) Select music/photos.
8) Enjoy.

user posted image

user posted image

Thanks to Atari4Ever, Lion-Face, mikecamimo and ValiX.

0 Kudos
LABELS:
Pretoria Sig
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

nebnosneh

22%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
nebnosneh
Accepted Solution

I'm interested in getting a NAS drive so I can share music and videos through the whole house without having to leave my PC on. I've heard that the PS3 shoudl be able to read from such a drive but has anyone tried it? Is it as simple as buying a drive that is DLNA enabled?

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos

Re: How To: The DLNA thread

/16

FluxZero

88%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
FluxZero
Accepted Solution

nebnosneh wrote:

I'm interested in getting a NAS drive so I can share music and videos through the whole house without having to leave my PC on. I've heard that the PS3 shoudl be able to read from such a drive but has anyone tried it? Is it as simple as buying a drive that is DLNA enabled?

Any help would be appreciated.

Yes its as simple as getting a NAS that has a DLNA client. However just note that if the DLNA client doesn't not transcode then you will only be able to play files that are natively supported by the PlayStation 3. 
What this means is if the files is in a non natively supported format, MKV for example you will need to convert it to an AVI (or other natively supported format) before you  can serve it to the PlayStation 3

Message Edited by FluxZero on 24-10-2009 12:48 AM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

football_fan99

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
football_fan99
Accepted Solution
hey guys im an absolute idiot when it comes to this stuff but what on earth is nero media home and these other programs you are talking about? my mum is watching a movie on the ps3 so i'm going to try to start the media server once she's done with it. do i need additional programs to watch videos? as  i was skim reading, avi and convert caught my eyes..
Message Edited by football_fan99 on 20-10-2009 11:39 AM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

abenzar

31%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
abenzar
Accepted Solution
PS3 media server works a charm, I also installed Kl Codec Pack n VLC Player. Currently using over Wireless goes ok, better to use wired connection for HD vids,
0 Kudos

/16

Its_tricky83

31%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Its_tricky83
Accepted Solution

Awesome guide.  Thanks heaps.  I was happy with just transferring files to a USB thinking I'll need TVersity set up to properly grab files.  I'll be DLNAing as soon as I get a chance.

You are a champ, cheers.

0 Kudos

/16

sultan2903

29%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
sultan2903
Accepted Solution
Im using simplecenter and it works very well. No problems at all in 3 weeks of use. Easy to install. Free. What more could you ask for?  I havent tried any of the other suggestions but I find it hard to believe that anything short of iTunes ( and thats never going to happen  is *****) could be this simple and configurable.
0 Kudos

/16

MysticGoat

47%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MysticGoat
Accepted Solution

I have used

Twonky *****

Tversity ****

Mediaplayer ***

There isnt much diference between twonky and tversity except the price. Oh and twonky automaticaly finds new files where as tversity has to be refreshed.

personally I feel Twonky was worth the money. now ifonly the PS3 can start supporting more media formats !

and allowing remote operation of the PS3.

I have found I have items on my network that interfere with DNLA NAS operation.

Also I have a Netgear router that has no balls, so I have to run without encryption else I get DNLA 2104 errors all the time

Also some media plays Video but not Audio I think this is down to the PS3 only supporting DNLA standard media codecs

0 Kudos

/16

sultan2903

29%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
sultan2903
Accepted Solution
Opinions on SimpleCentre for music streaming? Had it set up on an old PC and it was fantastic. The most "itunes" like of all the media centre software. Great lay out and easy to create playlists. ( drag and drop) Have since attempted to install on a new PC and I havent been able to access their website or download the file. Are they still in business?
0 Kudos

/16

FluxZero

88%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
FluxZero
Accepted Solution

MysticGoat wrote:

I have used

Twonky *****

Tversity ****

Mediaplayer ***

There isnt much diference between twonky and tversity except the price. Oh and twonky automaticaly finds new files where as tversity has to be refreshed.

personally I feel Twonky was worth the money. now ifonly the PS3 can start supporting more media formats !

and allowing remote operation of the PS3.

I have found I have items on my network that interfere with DNLA NAS operation.

Also I have a Netgear router that has no balls, so I have to run without encryption else I get DNLA 2104 errors all the time

Also some media plays Video but not Audio I think this is down to the PS3 only supporting DNLA standard media codecs

I know its been mentioned previously by a few people including myself, but have your tried PS3Media server (Find it HERE). Of all the DLNA media servers I have found it the easiest to set up the easiest to use and the most efficient and stable.  What exactly are you looking for in a DLNA server?

0 Kudos

/16

MysticGoat

47%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MysticGoat
Accepted Solution

FluxZero wrote:

I know its been mentioned previously by a few people including myself, but have your tried PS3Media server (Find it HERE). Of all the DLNA media servers I have found it the easiest to set up the easiest to use and the most efficient and stable.  What exactly are you looking for in a DLNA server?

I had heard  about PS3 Media server tho. I hadn't gotten around to trying it

I tried it......

I would like to say a big thankyou to the developers of PS3 Media Server. Where all the other media servers failed PS3 Media server has triumped, this obviously is WIP but it already is far ahead of all the other Mediaservers in its class.

If there is anyone out there that hasn't tried this program and is getting DNLA or Media server errors while using their PS3. I urge you to try PS3 Media server. It will have a setting for you !

MysticGoat wrote:

I have used

PS3 Media Server ********

Twonky *****

Tversity ****

Mediaplayer (vista)***

Vuze ***

Now all I want is remote operation of the PS3 Media player :)

0 Kudos

/16

AddGrg1

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
AddGrg1
Accepted Solution

MysticGoat wrote:

FluxZero wrote:

I had heard  about PS3 Media server tho. I hadn't gotten around to trying it

I tried it......

I would like to say a big thankyou to the developers of PS3 Media Server. Where all the other media servers failed PS3 Media server has triumped, this obviously is WIP but it already is far ahead of all the other Mediaservers in its class.

If there is anyone out there that hasn't tried this program and is getting DNLA or Media server errors while using their PS3. I urge you to try PS3 Media server. It will have a setting for you !

MysticGoat wrote:

I have used

PS3 Media Server ********

Twonky *****

Tversity ****

Mediaplayer (vista)***

Vuze ***

From what i can gather, it seems to be an open source project.
0 Kudos

/16

FluxZero

88%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
FluxZero
Accepted Solution

MysticGoat wrote: 

If you have a PSP then you can do this via remote play.

Just set the Audio output to the PS3  and bobs your uncle, video remote for your PS3

0 Kudos

/16

Bomber_Rock

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Bomber_Rock
Accepted Solution

Hi All,

Long time no chat....  I have recently copied all my CD's to my PC in FLAC format. (i had already copied all to my PS3 hard drive ages ago). I want to play my music losslessy, so i converted my music library to WAV files and have attempted to stream to the PS3. My problem is that when playing a track, the music pauses every 10-15seconds for about 1 second and then continues. I have used multiple media servers included dbpoweramp's Asset, PS3 media centre, windows media etc etc but the same problem.

My theory is that my older PC doesnt have the processing power to decode the infoand stream to PS3 on the fly. My wireless network is fast enough so that isnt the problem. Can anyone shed any light on the situation?

Also, I have considered just copying my whole CD collection to my PS3 as lossless WAV files. I can copy ok using windows media connect or Asset (only albumn art is missing), but this takes ages for 1 cd - and copying 150-200GB of info will take forever. If i copy via usb hard drive, the transfer is much faster transfer, but albumn and artist info is missing (this i cant do without). Does anyone know how i can get this info to transfer via usb hard drive without having to manually type in the albumn and artist info?

Failing that, is it possible to pull my hard drive out of the PS3 and copy the files from my PC to the hard drive via a USB case?

Cheers!!

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

RandAPle4

• Award Winner
95%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RandAPle4
Accepted Solution

Bomber_Rock wrote:

My theory is that my older PC doesnt have the processing power to decode the infoand stream to PS3 on the fly. My wireless network is fast enough so that isnt the problem. Can anyone shed any light on the situation?

This is a very old thread but this is my reply:

No matter how slow your old pc is (within reason) it will still be faster than your wireless network. Even an 802.11n wireless connection (which your PS3 doesn't support btw) is as slow as a wet week once you add encryption. Get a cable down and you're instantly ahead and, if your PC's network interface supports it, get a gigabit switch or router too. You'll be amazed.

regards

Rob

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

regards
Rob
deader than the ANZ forum :( .
/16

Calais02

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Calais02
Accepted Solution

Just wondering if anyone knows how to get the Media Server to work with Windows 7.  I was previously using Windows Media Player, but since installing W7 the share library feature is missing from the program.  A solution would be greatly appreciated as I  don't want to install another media sharing program, unless I can just us MediaGo 

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

kiwiatlarge

• Award Winner
93%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
kiwiatlarge
Accepted Solution

I got Windows 7 to work really easily... the great thing is WMP12 doesn't require any tweaking for the mp4s to be recognised in the right place... Yay, no tweaking registrys or downloading codecs or anything.. :)

Go to HomeGroup under Network and Internet in the Control Panel.... There are Media Streaming configuration options in there... I don't recall actually doing anything within WMP12 itself..

If you have any probs, I'll see if I can detail it out a bit more for you....

0 Kudos

Remember when I said I'd kill u last?? .... I LIIIIED!!
Uncharted Quadruple Platinum Club, 2008-12
Beta Tester
/16

crash987

• Beta Tester
96%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
crash987
Accepted Solution

any 1 know if there is a good media server app for ubuntu linux 9.04 +, i got the ps3 Media server for it but cant get it to work

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

RandAPle4

• Award Winner
95%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RandAPle4
Accepted Solution

There's mediatomb but I think ps3 media server is better.

What's not working with PMS?

0 Kudos

regards
Rob
deader than the ANZ forum :( .
/16

Conwayboys

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Conwayboys
Accepted Solution

I have tried many of the media servers including WMP 11, TVersity, PS3, VLC and while all of them work easily and for the most part switch on and play, every single one of them jitters and stutters even through normal sd tv shows, doesnt matter if it avi mpgeg 4 or what ever, i can watch 10 - 20 mins of anything perfect then the video stalls intermittently and then the audio stalls to let it catch up, always the same and happens in every file format, even went and bought a new router Rangemax and same deal, i am using a quad core processor win xp and everything works fine, i have read a thousand forum entries about various setting changes and all the rest but to no avail, so now i am back on default settings in tversity and ps3 media server and the same result from each, 10 - 20 mins of perfect video and then the intermittant stuttering and delays, PS3 says 100 % signal strength no drams with online gaming or such, stream photos and all sorts fine and fast just video problems.

Any help would be appreciated

0 Kudos

/16

abenzar

31%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
abenzar
Accepted Solution
u need a cable conection, i had the same problem over wireless, sweet when hoked up via cable. im Using PS3 Media server on 2.1Ghz Dual core, Wireless ok, HD not ok over wirelesss
0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel