21 Nov 2012
By: fergiestreble99

3 Posts

Installing a hard drive in a 12gb ps3

8 Replies 21,191 Views Created 21-11-2012

Hi , I am NEW to PS3 so please don't bite. I have bought a new 320 gb to pot in my ( new ) 12 gb.. I have managed to find the system backup, which I have done to an external hard drive. My question is how or what do I do next, I havent installed the new HD yet, so do I just put it in and turn on the ps3? If so I assume I can then go to menu and restore from external hard drive. Very sorry for what is a simple question but Im no genius with pc's, wish I had done some homework before getting the 12gb as I've only been playing GT5 and I cant update anything as the download is to big ! Still I'm hoping someone on here can assist me. Thanks in advance :Stupid:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9 (21,191 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Re: Installing a hard drive in a 12gb ps3

[ Edited ]

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-Sony-PlayStation-3-Hard-Disk-Drive-Mounting-Bracket-for-Super-Sli...

1st of all u will need 1 of these as the 12gb will not come with 1. and for how to put hdd in  - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gd05jdtkIM

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9 (21,182 Views)
0 Kudos

A2GMAN, thanks for the quick reply, I have ordered the caddy , and I hadnt seen that particular video on you tube , with the last 20 seconds being exactly what I wanted. Ive just had a thought , I assume the screws to attatch the drive to the caddy and indeed the blue screw to attatch the caddy to the ps3 aren't going to be in the box with the caddy !!! Anyone on here no a link where I can get some. I can of course go on ebay myself BUT not sure what I need to put exactly in the search box. As I said sorry for the questions but Ive only had the ps3 2 weeks , my last games system was a sega mega drive !!!! Thanks again in advance

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9 (21,173 Views)
0 Kudos

I've put a 80gig hdd in mine It needs a caddy I had one from my old ps3 fat that ylod I had to modify slightly to get it to fit and some card to keep it secure the ps3 finds it when you switch it on and asks if you want to swap to the hdd then it formats it and I'm sure it copys you data to it as well
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9 (21,169 Views)
0 Kudos

I'VE GOT A PS3 12GB AND I WANT TO BUY THE PlayStation 3 Hard Disk Drive Mounting Bracket,AS YOU HAVE JUST SHOWN (FROM eBay). SO DOES THIS GIVE ME MORE GBytes OR ANY Gbytes BECAUSE IM NOT TOO SURE, THANKS (:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9 (21,013 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

it is just a caddy. u need to find a sata 2.5 hdd (or laptop hdd) to fit in the caddy.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9 (20,991 Views)
0 Kudos

UPDATE: The caddy & hard drive arrived last week  ( ALL screws needed were in the bracket box inc the blue one ) thanks to all the help and advice from you guys , it all went like a dream. GT5 is a BIG update though !!! Thanks again to all

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9 (20,975 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

well GT5 needs around 10gb INSTALL. lol.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9 (20,944 Views)
0 Kudos

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9 (2,467 Views)
0 Kudos