21 Oct 2012
By: Freich

3 Posts

My blu-ray player in the PS3 doesn't work. What about all my games?

6 Replies 757 Views Created 21-10-2012

Dear sir or madam,

I'm faced with a rather annoying situation. My PS3's blu-ray player is dead. Well, not actually, but I think the controller card which is married to the motherboard is broken. The reason? Well, I changed the laser once, and it broke again in a week.
So, now, since sony has made it impossible to change the entire player, I'm stuck with a broken unit and a lot of unplayable games. So it struck me; why can't I change my phyiscal discs for PSN-codes so that I get the game digitally? That way I could upgrade the HDD and not have to worry about broken lasers anymore, and I wouldn't have to pay for sony to fix it for more than the actual unit is worth.

How do I solve this? I think it's a reasonable thing.

Regards

Erik

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7 (757 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Re: My blu-ray player in the PS3 doesn't work. What about all my games?

Problem with your changing physical disks for codes is that anyone could just rent the game and get a digital copy, so it wouldn't work out.

Realistically if you have replaced the laser yourself you voided your warranty (if you were under one still), so you will just have to see how much it would cost for sony to replace, or try another DIY job.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7 (743 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately messing around with hardware comes with a price from time to time. 

PS3 is like a laptop , easy as hell to tear apart , a pain in the ass to put back proper sometimes.

Anyone remember the PS3 Grill? xD

So , if I understand correctly , we know a few things.

Your laser has died twice?

and you're well past the warrenty (although voided now regardless)

Check out a few repair shops a lot of places will swap out gear for you no qualms. 

Unless you're willing to do it yourself again. Just make sure that whatever hardware you buy is compatible with the Firmware associated to the PS3. If you try the universal approach things can die 

quickly. 

Good Luck

(( OH! and less I forget , don't do what most DIY's do , if you're trying to fix it under budget of a new system , then don't spend more the 50-60 in total eh? Keep it cheap or you might as well just buy a new one. Seeing as you've already invested once in a laser ))

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7 (738 Views)
0 Kudos

I meant that I actually turn in my games so that I don't own them anymore and get a code in exchange.

Yes, my laser broke twice, and the unit cannot be repaired except by Sony, since they have software locked the controller card on the disc player to the motherboard.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7 (733 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

I was thinking more along the lines of ;
Maybe its the issue with the install of the laser it self that causes it to break down on you again.

So get someone to install it that you can fall back on if it fails again.
Or invest in a new ps3?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7 (728 Views)
0 Kudos

Buying a new ps3 is crazy.
I succeeded in changing the laser on my friend's ps3.
The same procedure didn't work on mine.

Repairing it costs half of what a new one costs, it isn't worth it. I've got a first gen. device.
The new ps3 comes in 2013?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7 (714 Views)
0 Kudos

Hi Freich,

Swapping disks for digital versions is not a service that we provide.  If you wish to send your faulty console for service then you should contact PlayStation Support for further assistance.  They offer a service where your faulty console can be exchanged for a remanufactured unit. 

SFZ

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7 (696 Views)
0 Kudos