32%
02 Rank
Progress

My ps3 or controller or usb ports aren't working

21 Replies 6,389 Views Created 20-10-2010
20 Oct 2010
By audi4444player

Hi

my ps3 or a component is experiencing problems it keeps having the "The maximum amount of power that can be supplied to USB devices has been reached. Remove at least one device". i have tried removing all the things i have plugged in ie cooling fan, hub eye, move controllers and dual shock but nothing works i originally thought that it was my usb ports being shorted but a guy from a game repair shop said that  it probably wouldn't turn on but i have found that if i turn off my dual shock and use my move it stops displaying the message. the controllers all work wirelessly but the dual shock wont charge via ps3 and its getting annoying because it interrupts gaming by turning the controller off. i tried borrowing my friends controller but it still has that message. it could still be my controller though because i cant de pair it  i hold the reset button and if i press ps again it just re connects i tried doing the same with my friends controller  and it wont reset either if he pairs it with his its just the same i have yet to try my controller on his ps3 but i think i will unless anyone can tell me otherwise. i'd like to restore the controller to new mode where it needs to be plugged it to connect to my ps3 for the first time i thought thats what reset did but it wont work please help.

ps  the firmware is up to date but its not the cable or the hub or the fan thats malfunctioning however it did start when i updated to the newest firmware

thomas 

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Iyonix

94%
04 Rank
Progress
Iyonix
Accepted Solution
It's only referring to items plugged into the USB ports, anything running wirelessly doesn't count. If you need a lot of USB devices plugged in get a 'powered' USB hub. It's telling you the combined number of devices are drawing too much power. You can charge devices by connecting them to USB ports on a PC.

Cooling fans shouldn't be necessary and often make the situation worse.
0 Kudos

Re: My ps3 or controller or usb ports aren't working

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

castaway666

• MVP
98%
14 Rank
Progress
castaway666
Accepted Solution
I concur, lose the cooling fan.

All you're doing is moving dust through the PS3 quicker.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

McNeilio

• Beta Tester
95%
08 Rank
Progress
McNeilio
Accepted Solution
GET RID OF THE COOLING FAN BUD ITS DOING MORE HARM THAN GOOD
0 Kudos

Let the others come after us. We welcome the chase
Bill Struth 1875-1956

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

audi4444player

32%
02 Rank
Progress
audi4444player
Accepted Solution

1 no its not drawing too much power i said it does it without anything plugged in and the hub is powered

2 the fan sucks out of the ps3 not blows in duh

3 i called sony they said do a restore so i did its sorta fixed but the message still comes up sometimes but does not turn off the controller so now its not bad but just a minor annoyance, however id still like to now why 

and ps i bought the fan because the ps3 kept going on high fan mode last summer and i cant watch dvds when its that loud, im in australia so its been getting a bit hot lately so i put it back on and no thats not when it started.

i thought i went through all this in my first post

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

McNeilio

• Beta Tester
95%
08 Rank
Progress
McNeilio
Accepted Solution

trust me m8 get shot of the fan they do no good at all why do u think there r no official fans from sony have a search thru the forum u will find plenty of posts regarding this issue when its sucking all its doing is drawing more dust into the inner workings of the console i had 1 and got rid of it soon after the ps3 will get hot but its fans r built to do a job this 3rd part fan will just make it worse in the long run...oh and another thing try not to be too smarmy with everyone we r only trying to help u fix a problem
0 Kudos

Bill Struth 1875-1956

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

davey23

• Beta Tester
98%
03 Rank
Progress
davey23
Accepted Solution
This sounds like a hardware failure. I would guess that the usb ports have been overloaded and something has become damaged so that it is drawing too much current even when off load. (or the usb port hardware has just failed). I guess something has internally shorted.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

McNeilio

• Beta Tester
95%
08 Rank
Progress
McNeilio
Accepted Solution
i wonder what could have done that hhhmmmmm .....lol
0 Kudos

Bill Struth 1875-1956

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

xFyre1

60%
02 Rank
Progress
xFyre1
Accepted Solution

audi4444player wrote:

It forces more air through the PS3. What the fan exhausts has to come from somewhere, there isn't an infinite amount of air inside the PS3. It is pulling morre dust in the PS3.

The PS3's own fan is built to cool the system down on its own. If you think that fan is lowering your chances of having an YLOD, you're doing just the opposite.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

gobbybobby

77%
02 Rank
Progress
gobbybobby
Accepted Solution

fans= fail on All consoles just no! even the fans won't stop a 360 self destructing.

If you still in warrent call up sony, tell em yer USB ports are dead. If not well ull have to charge things on PC, that could be a problem tho doesn't first tile run of new controller have to be plugged into USB to register to the console?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

voorsk

80%
02 Rank
Progress
voorsk
Accepted Solution

It could be the cable that you're using for the dual shocks?  Maybe it's broken and is shorting out, causing it to drain all the power from the USB, and stopping the power from getting to the controller. 

If it's not that, then it definitely sounds like *something* is shorting out, somewhere.  If you don't mind losing the warranty sticker, you could open it up and dust down the USB circuit board.

You could also try using a powered hub, and plugging all the USB equipment into that.

0 Kudos

bring back The Getaway!!

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Skykid360

• Beta Tester
97%
08 Rank
Progress
Skykid360
Accepted Solution

gobbybobby wrote:

fans= fail on All consoles just no! even the fans won't stop a 360 self destructing.

Is this from personal experience...or something you've read on the Internetz?

I can only talk for myself and think the latter part of your statement is utter tosh. My Launch Xbox 360, had a good run...then when FIFA 09 came out i got a RROD. The only time it has ever got a RROD in it's life (apart from the other forced ones due to testing).

How did i combat it? I built a fan mod, much like how a PC case works, fans Sucking cold air in, and powerful fans Pushing that air back out. I also did a few other minor modifications to direct the windflow.

The result? My Launch 360 is still going to this day, and can last huge stretches of gaming in one sitting, so as far as i'm concerned if it's done right not all fans are a bad thing...it definitely saved my xbox.

- - -

As for the PS3, it's a different beast and very packed (not much room for air to circulate)..what i found bet during the hotter days is to try and keep the environment around the PS3 cool, which means, Desktop Fan (not pointing directly at it), or if your lucky enough Air Con...but i wouldn't go with a 3rd Party Fan specifically for the PS3.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

audi4444player

32%
02 Rank
Progress
audi4444player
Accepted Solution

ok i got rid of the fan stop bugging me

but that doesnt solve my problem and yes i too thought the usbs or cable were shorted but no, borrowed my friends cable it still did it (this is with only the dualshock plugged straight into the ps3 with a official cable NO FAN OR HUB plugged in) and apparently if the usb port was shorted the ps3 would detect it and not turn on.

ps no i dont have warranty and and stop talikig about the fan i got it because the ps3 was being noisy like the fan test noise, ok i wanted it to shut up as my mum was getting worried about the house burning down or something so i got that but its gone now so stop commenting about it i want a solution not criticism on my fan. 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

McNeilio

• Beta Tester
95%
08 Rank
Progress
McNeilio
Accepted Solution
get a new ps3 problem solved
0 Kudos

Bill Struth 1875-1956

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

emilynewcastle

84%
02 Rank
Progress
emilynewcastle
Accepted Solution
Your attitude stinks. People are only trying to help you.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

McNeilio

• Beta Tester
95%
08 Rank
Progress
McNeilio
Accepted Solution
thanks finally someone else sees it as well glad im not the only one thinking this lol
0 Kudos

Bill Struth 1875-1956

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ReaperXI2

23%
02 Rank
Progress
ReaperXI2
Accepted Solution

I know this is a long time coming, but good news for those still looking for resolution to their problems or for those that come across it in search for help. If your controller will not charge or is hit or miss, there is a high probability that it is the cord itself. As i'm sure many of you are thinking what could go wrong with a cord...you sure it isn't the controller? Yes it could very well be the controller, but keep in mind your moving, twisting, wrapping, stretching that cord you got over however long which deteriorates the integratey of the cord. Longer cords have more tendency to have issues. If your just looking to charge your controller get a new short cord. If this doesn't work its going to be likely the least of your problems as the latter of the OPTIONS is your PS3 or controller USB connections whether it be a bent/missing/loose prong or the socket is falling off from its foundation. I have tried many things to get my controllers to get charged up and to get rid of that error notification, and as simple as it is, sometimes is all it takes.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ReaperXI2

23%
02 Rank
Progress
ReaperXI2
Accepted Solution

Fans are needed on consoles, the cooler the environment(within reason, don't go tossing it in the snow) the better it runs. Saying fans only suck in dust is just a lackluster way of saying, "oh well" or "I had issues and I'm upset" or haven't put any thought into the matter. Keeping your console in a cool and ventinalted environment is part of taking care of it, but also keeping the area its kept and room clean as yes as some have said haphazardly it does suck in dust, but you breathe in dust too, but you don't see people sniffing underneathe their fridge for dust bunnies as its common sense its gunna be dusty there. Keep it clean and cool and you will have your console working for a generation or two(still have every game console that has come out and working fine due to due care and diligence)

Happy Gaming!

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

CHRIS-1995-R

21%
02 Rank
Progress
CHRIS-1995-R
Accepted Solution

ok i just got off the phone with sony cuz my playstation is haveing the same prolem they said to go to settings and click restor factory settings or whatever and then ur gonna need to kinow ur email and password and ur wep key if tht dosent work then go hold down ur power button it will beep three times then let go then hold it down it will beep twice then have a quick double beep then u go and cli9ck restor files and thts it and did u have any problems with ur playstation if u didnt fix it?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

InC0ntr0l_

21%
02 Rank
Progress
InC0ntr0l_
Accepted Solution

my controllers are doing the same now the cable is fine and my eyetoy camera which i use as a headset works in both ports but it just refuses to charge my controllers its really weird can anyone help without stupid suggestions becasue i cannot afford a new ps3 controller or ps3 :) thanks

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

sharkfan106

37%
02 Rank
Progress
sharkfan106
Accepted Solution

i sent my system to www.videogame911.com  they told me what was wrong and how much it would cost before they fixed it. they got my sytem back fast to me andwere great at communicating while working on my system

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel