20 Oct 2010
By: audi4444player

3 Posts

My ps3 or controller or usb ports aren't working

20 Replies 4,242 Views Created 20-10-2010

Hi

my ps3 or a component is experiencing problems it keeps having the "The maximum amount of power that can be supplied to USB devices has been reached. Remove at least one device". i have tried removing all the things i have plugged in ie cooling fan, hub eye, move controllers and dual shock but nothing works i originally thought that it was my usb ports being shorted but a guy from a game repair shop said that  it probably wouldn't turn on but i have found that if i turn off my dual shock and use my move it stops displaying the message. the controllers all work wirelessly but the dual shock wont charge via ps3 and its getting annoying because it interrupts gaming by turning the controller off. i tried borrowing my friends controller but it still has that message. it could still be my controller though because i cant de pair it  i hold the reset button and if i press ps again it just re connects i tried doing the same with my friends controller  and it wont reset either if he pairs it with his its just the same i have yet to try my controller on his ps3 but i think i will unless anyone can tell me otherwise. i'd like to restore the controller to new mode where it needs to be plugged it to connect to my ps3 for the first time i thought thats what reset did but it wont work please help.

ps  the firmware is up to date but its not the cable or the hub or the fan thats malfunctioning however it did start when i updated to the newest firmware

thomas 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 21 (4,242 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Re: My ps3 or controller or usb ports aren't working

It's only referring to items plugged into the USB ports, anything running wirelessly doesn't count. If you need a lot of USB devices plugged in get a 'powered' USB hub. It's telling you the combined number of devices are drawing too much power. You can charge devices by connecting them to USB ports on a PC.

Cooling fans shouldn't be necessary and often make the situation worse.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 21 (4,201 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

I concur, lose the cooling fan.

All you're doing is moving dust through the PS3 quicker.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 21 (4,176 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

GET RID OF THE COOLING FAN BUD ITS DOING MORE HARM THAN GOOD

Let the others come after us. We welcome the chase
Bill Struth 1875-1956
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 21 (4,160 Views)
0 Kudos

1 no its not drawing too much power i said it does it without anything plugged in and the hub is powered

2 the fan sucks out of the ps3 not blows in duh

3 i called sony they said do a restore so i did its sorta fixed but the message still comes up sometimes but does not turn off the controller so now its not bad but just a minor annoyance, however id still like to now why 

and ps i bought the fan because the ps3 kept going on high fan mode last summer and i cant watch dvds when its that loud, im in australia so its been getting a bit hot lately so i put it back on and no thats not when it started.

i thought i went through all this in my first post

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 21 (4,116 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

trust me m8 get shot of the fan they do no good at all why do u think there r no official fans from sony have a search thru the forum u will find plenty of posts regarding this issue when its sucking all its doing is drawing more dust into the inner workings of the console i had 1 and got rid of it soon after the ps3 will get hot but its fans r built to do a job this 3rd part fan will just make it worse in the long run...oh and another thing try not to be too smarmy with everyone we r only trying to help u fix a problem

Bill Struth 1875-1956
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 21 (4,107 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

This sounds like a hardware failure. I would guess that the usb ports have been overloaded and something has become damaged so that it is drawing too much current even when off load. (or the usb port hardware has just failed). I guess something has internally shorted.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 21 (4,103 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

i wonder what could have done that hhhmmmmm .....lol

Bill Struth 1875-1956
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 21 (4,100 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

audi4444player wrote:

It forces more air through the PS3. What the fan exhausts has to come from somewhere, there isn't an infinite amount of air inside the PS3. It is pulling morre dust in the PS3.

The PS3's own fan is built to cool the system down on its own. If you think that fan is lowering your chances of having an YLOD, you're doing just the opposite.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 21 (4,080 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

fans= fail on All consoles just no! even the fans won't stop a 360 self destructing.

If you still in warrent call up sony, tell em yer USB ports are dead. If not well ull have to charge things on PC, that could be a problem tho doesn't first tile run of new controller have to be plugged into USB to register to the console?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 21 (4,066 Views)
0 Kudos