24 Oct 2012
By RCAM13

Playstation Staff
Accepted Solution

New PS3 12gb HDD Question (Caddy)

[ Edited ]
9 Replies 7,182 Views edited 24-10-2012

Hi,

Recently my PS3 died, it was one of the old fat models.  I had a 320gb hard drive in it and I've kept that as it has all my game saves, installs, dlc etc.

I've just bought a new 12gb PS3 slim and found that it's missing the caddy/bracket mount and have seen that people are having problems getting hold of one.

Will a caddy from an old PS3 like my old one or the slim version fit or does it need to be a new one that will fit only into the super slim model?  I've seen ones sold on HMV and Smyths but they're all sold out.

Also, will the hard drive I have simply be plug and play or will it need formatting?  If the latter, then how do I save all my data as a format would surely wipe it clean?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10 (7,182 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

Re: New PS3 12gb HDD Question

You have lost all the data on the HDD unless you can get your old PS3 working again and can make a backup. 

The caddy/mounting bracket is different in the newer models. Stock should be instore's shortly but Sony seem slow at getting stock out there.

SneezeSneeze
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10 (7,165 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

RCAM13 wrote:

Hi,

Recently my PS3 died, it was one of the old fat models.  I had a 320gb hard drive in it and I've kept that as it has all my game saves, installs, dlc etc.

I've just bought a new 12gb PS3 slim and found that it's missing the caddy/bracket mount and have seen that people are having problems getting hold of one.

Will a caddy from an old PS3 like my old one or the slim version fit or does it need to be a new one that will fit only into the super slim model?  I've seen ones sold on HMV and Smyths but they're all sold out.

Also, will the hard drive I have simply be plug and play or will it need formatting?  If the latter, then how do I save all my data as a format would surely wipe it clean?

Hi RCAM13,

The caddies for the New slim consoles are different from any of the previous models and will be made available for sale seperately in the shops. They have been made available now to retailers so you would have to check for available stock locally.

Regardless of whether you plug an existing or a new HDD into the console, it will be reformatted for the console, and the data will be deleted. You will of course be able to redownload anything previously purchased from your download list.

Rabid

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10 (7,163 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Thanks for the replies. I will have to wait for the caddies to come out. I'm guessing they will be available through the usual retailers.

I had a feeling that would be the case regarding the HDD data. I know you can use a SATA to USB adaptor to rip files from HDDs onto a PC. Could I do that to recover my save files from the HDD and then transfer the files from PC to PS3, or are the files encrypted?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10 (7,147 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Re: New PS3 12gb HDD Question (Caddy)

I believe The Hdd is hardware signed to each ps3 that formats it to start with. Any files on there are encrypted to the machine that created it. You would need to get the broken machine working and then transfer the files to another ps3 or usb drive. You could try looking for someone to break the encryption, but I think that will take somr doing.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10 (5,774 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I am shocked that sony do not supply the hard drive caddy with the new 12 GB models.

My daughters boyfriend just got one of the new super slim 12 gb for xmas (£180.00) and was shocked as I was to see that there was no caddy supplied.

I mean come on sony you could do better than that!!

Also seems a bit cheap where the disc drive is concerned.

I think the phat and the slim is def better quality.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10 (3,069 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

You get what you pay for ^^
Follow fi8767 on Twitter
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10 (3,015 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

The 12GB model is expensive at the standard price of £180 but is often on offer - it was £135 on Tesco/Amazon pre Xmas and £120 on Boxing Day.

If you can get it at a good price then it stacks up to upgrade with the caddy at £10 and up to 1TB HDD at £60/£70 compared to the 500GB PS3 which tends to be around £230.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10 (3,009 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I still think sony have cut back on quality with the new super slim,,,

In my opinion Sony have always been about top quality at affordable prices,,,I mean they have bought out some super great products in the past with total reliability and performance but ifeel the super slim is below par...

From what i have seen I would rather get a second hand slim or phat(love the 60gig apart from the ylod but that is due to the heat sink past drying out),,,ths is my opinion ofcourse xxx

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10 (2,689 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Just to add I love my ps3 slim,,,had the 60 gig,40 gig and 80 gig with no probs,,,hard gaming 24/7 always does the job.
Now i have the slim still loving it,,,its on at least 12 hours a day and apart from a few gliches here and there would not swap it for any games console
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10 (2,682 Views)
0 Kudos