PS3 Support

PS3 Support

15 Oct 2012
By: jhw93 Member 29 Posts
Level 1
Accepted Solution

New PS3 Super Slim loading and lagging issues

207 Replies 30268 Views Created 15-10-2012

Hey guys, I bought a Super Slim PS3 a couple of days a go and I have noticed loading and lag issues while playing certain games. The first issues I had encountered was with Uncharted 3, it bad framerate, lag and audio & display synchronisation issues. After playing Uncharted 3, I played a few other games and found similar issues with some of those as well. It is strange because I also have a 2008 model PS3 which does not have the same problems. Here's a list of games I played in the order I played them in with the problems I encountered.

1. LittleBigPlanet - Did not notice any issues, played fine.

2. Socom 4 - Some framerate issues, other than that it played fine.

3. Uncharted 3 - Suffered from framerate issues, bad lag and poor synchronisation of audio & display. These problems made the game unplayable, it was like playing a multiplayer game with a poor connection. Have never encountered these issues with my 2008 model PS3.

4. God of War 3 - On the first two occasions, the game would freeze while loading (this is just after the game has just started loading before the main menu screen), forcing me to reboot the console on both occasions. The game loaded the third time, gamely was ok until it froze and a loading screen came up then the action resumed (never had this before with god of war 3).

Resistance 3 - Some framerate issues and lagging, no where near as bad as Uncharted 3. However, never encountered any lag on my 2008 PS3 with this game.

Uncharted 2 - Played fine, didn't notice anything wrong.

Killzone 2 - Some framerate dips (Normal), noticed no other issues.

Killzone 3 - Some lag while navigating through the menus. Gameplay was fine until it was taking a long time to load another section of the level in which I gave up waiting.

Overall I think there is definately something wrong with my new PS3. I don't think they are issues concerning the CPU or the GPU, the games appeared to play fine as regards to the gameplay. I encountered the issues whilst a lot of loading was taking place e.g the game booting up, new levels, cutscenes and etc. This encourages me to think that it's something to do with the transmission of data with the blu-ray drive or hard drive.

If anyone else has had similar problems with their Super Slim PS3, I would like to here what issues you have encountered. I definitely will be contacting Sony about this, as they are problems that are braking the game experience.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 208 (30,268 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Re: New PS3 Super Slim loading and lagging issues

jhw93 wrote:

Hey guys, I bought a Super Slim PS3 a couple of days a go and I have noticed loading and lag issues while playing certain games. The first issues I had encountered was with Uncharted 3, it bad framerate, lag and audio & display synchronisation issues. After playing Uncharted 3, I played a few other games and found similar issues with some of those as well. It is strange because I also have a 2008 model PS3 which does not have the same problems. Here's a list of games I played in the order I played them in with the problems I encountered.

1. LittleBigPlanet - Did not notice any issues, played fine.

2. Socom 4 - Some framerate issues, other than that it played fine.

3. Uncharted 3 - Suffered from framerate issues, bad lag and poor synchronisation of audio & display. These problems made the game unplayable, it was like playing a multiplayer game with a poor connection. Have never encountered these issues with my 2008 model PS3.

4. God of War 3 - On the first two occasions, the game would freeze while loading (this is just after the game has just started loading before the main menu screen), forcing me to reboot the console on both occasions. The game loaded the third time, gamely was ok until it froze and a loading screen came up then the action resumed (never had this before with god of war 3).

Resistance 3 - Some framerate issues and lagging, no where near as bad as Uncharted 3. However, never encountered any lag on my 2008 PS3 with this game.

Uncharted 2 - Played fine, didn't notice anything wrong.

Killzone 2 - Some framerate dips (Normal), noticed no other issues.

Killzone 3 - Some lag while navigating through the menus. Gameplay was fine until it was taking a long time to load another section of the level in which I gave up waiting.

Overall I think there is definately something wrong with my new PS3. I don't think they are issues concerning the CPU or the GPU, the games appeared to play fine as regards to the gameplay. I encountered the issues whilst a lot of loading was taking place e.g the game booting up, new levels, cutscenes and etc. This encourages me to think that it's something to do with the transmission of data with the blu-ray drive or hard drive.

If anyone else has had similar problems with their Super Slim PS3, I would like to here what issues you have encountered. I definitely will be contacting Sony about this, as they are problems that are braking the game experience.

Hi jhw93,

If there is a loading/lagging issue on game playback it may be related to the HDD (and the data stored on there).

What you could to is try Safe Mode, specifically Option 3 'Restore File System'- this attempts to repair all areas on the hard disk drive where files can be saved.

Give this a try and then play some games to see if this has had an affect.

Let me know how you get on with this.

Rabid

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 208 (30,235 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Hey Rabid,

I have ran my PS3 in safe mode and restored the file system, after doing this, I played Uncharted 3 to see if I  could see any changes. Since restoring the file system, the lagging has slightly improved but unfortunately the lag is still there. Whilst writing my prvious post, I had forgot to mention that i was hearing clicking and scraping sounds coming from the console whilst games are loading. I did research into this and found that it is the hard drive that makes these noises when faulty. I'm pretty sure now that it is the Hard drive that is causing problems. I plan on ringing Sony about this tomorrow and ask them what they can do about it.

Thanks for your help and advice man, much appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 208 (30,178 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

I'm betting this is due to an 'odd' batch of HDDs Sony has sourced.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 208 (30,108 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Well I have rang sony and PC world and they have both said to go to the store I got from, PC world said they will raplace it with a brand new PS3. Hopefully the replacement model does not have an 'odd' HDD as well. lol

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 208 (30,097 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

I got a replacement system from PC world and unfortunately the replacement has a faulty HDD like the previous one, i am very annoyed about this. I'm gonna contact Sony and ask them to make sure that the HDD actually works properly if they send me a replacement.... for the faulty replacement. All i wanted was a nice new PS3.... turning out to be a nightmare so far.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 208 (30,034 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

jhw93 wrote:

I got a replacement system from PC world and unfortunately the replacement has a faulty HDD like the previous one, i am very annoyed about this. I'm gonna contact Sony and ask them to make sure that the HDD actually works properly if they send me a replacement.... for the faulty replacement. All i wanted was a nice new PS3.... turning out to be a nightmare so far.

If i was you, I'll get a refund A.S.A.P and buy a Slim. To many people are now saying about your problems ( even when a HDD has been swapped )

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 208 (29,998 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

I have lost my faith in the company.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 208 (29,943 Views)
0 Kudos

I'm glad to have come across this particular thread as I have been at my wits end these past few days trying to figure out what was wrong with my new Super Slim PS3.

I too purchased a Super Slim 500GB PS3 and I also am experiencing the very same lagging and framerate issues with both FIFA 13 and PES 2013. I find the framerate and general picture shuddrering almost every 30-40 seconds when the disc is read by the console.

My friend is also experiencing the very same issues on his 500GB Super Slim console so it appears that there is a fault or design flaw somewhere when it comes to the console reading the disc whilst gameplay is taking place.

I'm looking at trading in the Super Slim and reverting back to the Slim 320GB console which in my honest opinion, is a better looking and would appear to be a much more reliable piece of kit.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 208 (29,675 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Just get the older slim or a fat PS3 because then you can be confident that it will work.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 208 (29,644 Views)
0 Kudos