60%
02 Rank
Progress
Accepted Solution

New PS3 Super Slim loading and lagging issues

226 Replies 46,273 Views Created 15-10-2012
15 Oct 2012
By jhw93

Hey guys, I bought a Super Slim PS3 a couple of days a go and I have noticed loading and lag issues while playing certain games. The first issues I had encountered was with Uncharted 3, it bad framerate, lag and audio & display synchronisation issues. After playing Uncharted 3, I played a few other games and found similar issues with some of those as well. It is strange because I also have a 2008 model PS3 which does not have the same problems. Here's a list of games I played in the order I played them in with the problems I encountered.

1. LittleBigPlanet - Did not notice any issues, played fine.

2. Socom 4 - Some framerate issues, other than that it played fine.

3. Uncharted 3 - Suffered from framerate issues, bad lag and poor synchronisation of audio & display. These problems made the game unplayable, it was like playing a multiplayer game with a poor connection. Have never encountered these issues with my 2008 model PS3.

4. God of War 3 - On the first two occasions, the game would freeze while loading (this is just after the game has just started loading before the main menu screen), forcing me to reboot the console on both occasions. The game loaded the third time, gamely was ok until it froze and a loading screen came up then the action resumed (never had this before with god of war 3).

Resistance 3 - Some framerate issues and lagging, no where near as bad as Uncharted 3. However, never encountered any lag on my 2008 PS3 with this game.

Uncharted 2 - Played fine, didn't notice anything wrong.

Killzone 2 - Some framerate dips (Normal), noticed no other issues.

Killzone 3 - Some lag while navigating through the menus. Gameplay was fine until it was taking a long time to load another section of the level in which I gave up waiting.

Overall I think there is definately something wrong with my new PS3. I don't think they are issues concerning the CPU or the GPU, the games appeared to play fine as regards to the gameplay. I encountered the issues whilst a lot of loading was taking place e.g the game booting up, new levels, cutscenes and etc. This encourages me to think that it's something to do with the transmission of data with the blu-ray drive or hard drive.

If anyone else has had similar problems with their Super Slim PS3, I would like to here what issues you have encountered. I definitely will be contacting Sony about this, as they are problems that are braking the game experience.

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TruFatty

22%
02 Rank
Progress
TruFatty
Accepted Solution

not sure if this has been resolved, didn't feel like reading through 13 pages of posts, but i also had that issue with games skipping, very long loads.

so i decieded to change the hard drive on the ps3 super slim. i used a western digital 320gb ( had from my old ps3)

that fixed the issue. not sure if there may be issues with the drives that ships with super slim but mine was a hitatchi 250gb

also, just throwing this out there. i wouldn't use SSD drives, the read/writes times arn't that much faster, but the drives have a limited number of read-write cycles once that limit is reached the drive is toast.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Re: New PS3 Super Slim loading and lagging issues

[ Edited ]

All Replies

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

RabidWalker

• Beta Tester
88%
04 Rank
Progress
RabidWalker
Accepted Solution

jhw93 wrote:

Hey guys, I bought a Super Slim PS3 a couple of days a go and I have noticed loading and lag issues while playing certain games. The first issues I had encountered was with Uncharted 3, it bad framerate, lag and audio & display synchronisation issues. After playing Uncharted 3, I played a few other games and found similar issues with some of those as well. It is strange because I also have a 2008 model PS3 which does not have the same problems. Here's a list of games I played in the order I played them in with the problems I encountered.

1. LittleBigPlanet - Did not notice any issues, played fine.

2. Socom 4 - Some framerate issues, other than that it played fine.

3. Uncharted 3 - Suffered from framerate issues, bad lag and poor synchronisation of audio & display. These problems made the game unplayable, it was like playing a multiplayer game with a poor connection. Have never encountered these issues with my 2008 model PS3.

4. God of War 3 - On the first two occasions, the game would freeze while loading (this is just after the game has just started loading before the main menu screen), forcing me to reboot the console on both occasions. The game loaded the third time, gamely was ok until it froze and a loading screen came up then the action resumed (never had this before with god of war 3).

Resistance 3 - Some framerate issues and lagging, no where near as bad as Uncharted 3. However, never encountered any lag on my 2008 PS3 with this game.

Uncharted 2 - Played fine, didn't notice anything wrong.

Killzone 2 - Some framerate dips (Normal), noticed no other issues.

Killzone 3 - Some lag while navigating through the menus. Gameplay was fine until it was taking a long time to load another section of the level in which I gave up waiting.

Overall I think there is definately something wrong with my new PS3. I don't think they are issues concerning the CPU or the GPU, the games appeared to play fine as regards to the gameplay. I encountered the issues whilst a lot of loading was taking place e.g the game booting up, new levels, cutscenes and etc. This encourages me to think that it's something to do with the transmission of data with the blu-ray drive or hard drive.

If anyone else has had similar problems with their Super Slim PS3, I would like to here what issues you have encountered. I definitely will be contacting Sony about this, as they are problems that are braking the game experience.

Hi jhw93,

If there is a loading/lagging issue on game playback it may be related to the HDD (and the data stored on there).

What you could to is try Safe Mode, specifically Option 3 'Restore File System'- this attempts to repair all areas on the hard disk drive where files can be saved.

Give this a try and then play some games to see if this has had an affect.

Let me know how you get on with this.

Rabid

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

jhw93

60%
02 Rank
Progress
jhw93
Accepted Solution

Hey Rabid,

I have ran my PS3 in safe mode and restored the file system, after doing this, I played Uncharted 3 to see if I  could see any changes. Since restoring the file system, the lagging has slightly improved but unfortunately the lag is still there. Whilst writing my prvious post, I had forgot to mention that i was hearing clicking and scraping sounds coming from the console whilst games are loading. I did research into this and found that it is the hard drive that makes these noises when faulty. I'm pretty sure now that it is the Hard drive that is causing problems. I plan on ringing Sony about this tomorrow and ask them what they can do about it.

Thanks for your help and advice man, much appreciated.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Nakatsu_Hime

• Beta Tester
94%
06 Rank
Progress
Nakatsu_Hime
Accepted Solution
I'm betting this is due to an 'odd' batch of HDDs Sony has sourced.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

jhw93

60%
02 Rank
Progress
jhw93
Accepted Solution

Well I have rang sony and PC world and they have both said to go to the store I got from, PC world said they will raplace it with a brand new PS3. Hopefully the replacement model does not have an 'odd' HDD as well. lol

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

jhw93

60%
02 Rank
Progress
jhw93
Accepted Solution

I got a replacement system from PC world and unfortunately the replacement has a faulty HDD like the previous one, i am very annoyed about this. I'm gonna contact Sony and ask them to make sure that the HDD actually works properly if they send me a replacement.... for the faulty replacement. All i wanted was a nice new PS3.... turning out to be a nightmare so far.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16
96%
05 Rank
Progress
LittleBigDragonz
Accepted Solution

jhw93 wrote:

I got a replacement system from PC world and unfortunately the replacement has a faulty HDD like the previous one, i am very annoyed about this. I'm gonna contact Sony and ask them to make sure that the HDD actually works properly if they send me a replacement.... for the faulty replacement. All i wanted was a nice new PS3.... turning out to be a nightmare so far.

If i was you, I'll get a refund A.S.A.P and buy a Slim. To many people are now saying about your problems ( even when a HDD has been swapped )

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

jhw93

60%
02 Rank
Progress
jhw93
Accepted Solution

I have lost my faith in the company.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

villagebear83

29%
02 Rank
Progress
villagebear83
Accepted Solution

I'm glad to have come across this particular thread as I have been at my wits end these past few days trying to figure out what was wrong with my new Super Slim PS3.

I too purchased a Super Slim 500GB PS3 and I also am experiencing the very same lagging and framerate issues with both FIFA 13 and PES 2013. I find the framerate and general picture shuddrering almost every 30-40 seconds when the disc is read by the console.

My friend is also experiencing the very same issues on his 500GB Super Slim console so it appears that there is a fault or design flaw somewhere when it comes to the console reading the disc whilst gameplay is taking place.

I'm looking at trading in the Super Slim and reverting back to the Slim 320GB console which in my honest opinion, is a better looking and would appear to be a much more reliable piece of kit.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

jhw93

60%
02 Rank
Progress
jhw93
Accepted Solution

Just get the older slim or a fat PS3 because then you can be confident that it will work.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

jhw93

60%
02 Rank
Progress
jhw93
Accepted Solution

I can deal with a faulty product but it's their customer service that has annoyed me. After technical support telling me to go to the retailer to get a replacement, they then told me to go to the retailer again when i rang up the 2nd time about my replacement also being faulty in which i replied telling them that shouldn't have to spend my time and money going to the retailer again especially when I don't know if the 2nd replacement will work or not. After putting my argument forward and doing some debating, they finally instructed me to email sony and request a replacement directly from them. I emailed sony requesting a replacement, then to read their reply stating they couldn't replace the system because they were "out of stock". It just seemed to me that they were trying there best to avoid giving me a replacement. Instead of technical support questionning me and trying to make out i was wrong, they should have just helped me. I can understand them questioning me since as though it's a brand new console, but when it's faulty out of the box and then the replacement is also the same, the last thing I need is the company being awkward about it instead of just helping me. I'm sorry to bang on about this and this might sound daft but I have grown up with playstation (PS1,2, PSP and 3) and i admit i have formed  an emotional bond with the playstation brand and I'd like to think that i have a lot of pride in owning  playstation products. Because PS has been a big part of my childhood, I find it a big let down when their technical support try and tell me I am wrong and make things awkard and difficult. I ended up not having my super slim replaced (again) and having to go to the retailer to get a refund (who i really feel sorry for), i'm lucky that i've a fat PS3 because then i would have no PS3 at all. The fact that their new system is unreliable is disspointing but their technical support/customer service is what has really annoyed me. Massive let down guys.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

BIGJOEJGDE

29%
02 Rank
Progress
BIGJOEJGDE
Accepted Solution
I'm having audio syncing issues when watching Blu-ray movies..Had the super slim about a month and yesterday decided to put a Blu-ray movie in it for the first time and it doesn't play right :(
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

BIGJOEJGDE

29%
02 Rank
Progress
BIGJOEJGDE
Accepted Solution

I was able to use my friends original PS3 slim and still the same problem,so it has to be the new 4.30 update that's causing this..Glad it's not because of my super slim,i love that thing.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Mike9_LO

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Mike9_LO
Accepted Solution

I have been reading the comments on this thread with interest regarding the new Super Slim PS3's. How wide spread are these problems because doing an internet search is not bringing up any other reports of these problems?

Also, do the new super slims make more or less noise than the current slims? Im interested particularly when playing games.

Lastly, do the super slims suffer with the same problem as the current slims and make cracking sounds as the case heats up/cools down?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

jhw93

60%
02 Rank
Progress
jhw93
Accepted Solution

I think the issues are just related to a batch of Super Slims.... I don't think all super slims are like this. I hope so anyway. I might get one again next year, atleast by then bugs will probably have been ironed out. Form my experience, the only sounds you can here is the drive, because there is only the plastic lid over it. You cant here any fans at all.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

BIGJOEJGDE

29%
02 Rank
Progress
BIGJOEJGDE
Accepted Solution

The Blu-ray drive is a little louder,but the fan is really silent and it doesn't make the cracking sound from the plastic heating and cooling,probably because the console doesn't make much heat.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

MI5not9to5

56%
02 Rank
Progress
MI5not9to5
Accepted Solution
hello all...we got the super slim today mainly for the blue ray and 3D , we have an older slim as well. Me and my son we playing resident evil and the game would not load past one of the levels. It just kind hung up, did nt freeze just went into a info screen loop. We then went onto the other PS3 slim but not super slim and we did the level again all was fine. I am guessing from what I am reading I should take it back right.?
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

jhw93

60%
02 Rank
Progress
jhw93
Accepted Solution

Your best bet is to go and ring technical support. When I rang, I was not pleased with how they dealt with it, they found it difficult to believe me. However, I believe that there is a definate hardware issue with the new support slim PS3. The more people who ring up about it, the better chance that sony will notice that there is an issue with them. So if i was you, i'd give them a ring and tell em what's wrong, they will most likely tell you to go and get it replaced from the retailer but the more rings they get about it, the more they will understand that there is an issue with the super slims.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

jhw93

60%
02 Rank
Progress
jhw93
Accepted Solution

which firmware version is your super slim running on?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Spyrowhite

37%
02 Rank
Progress
Spyrowhite
Accepted Solution
Is normal from ps3 super slim doing a hot air from the place of the cables in the back ?
My ps3 super slim hots really quick(not very hot or overheating heat like a computer) but the hot only increse some times a little more but always the same even if i play 9 hours (does decrese sometimes )
It also freeze sometimes at the game munch oddysee HD
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TruFatty

22%
02 Rank
Progress
TruFatty
Accepted Solution

not sure if this has been resolved, didn't feel like reading through 13 pages of posts, but i also had that issue with games skipping, very long loads.

so i decieded to change the hard drive on the ps3 super slim. i used a western digital 320gb ( had from my old ps3)

that fixed the issue. not sure if there may be issues with the drives that ships with super slim but mine was a hitatchi 250gb

also, just throwing this out there. i wouldn't use SSD drives, the read/writes times arn't that much faster, but the drives have a limited number of read-write cycles once that limit is reached the drive is toast.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel