08 Jun 2012

Playstation Staff
Accepted Solution

No Applicable update data was found

[ Edited ]
30 Replies 39,282 Views edited 08-06-2012

I need help, my PS3 keeps going onto its favourite black screen and saying the following:

"No applicable update data was found.

Connect storage media that contains update data of version

4.11 or later, and then press the START and SELECT buttons

at the same time."

When I press START and SELECT like it says, it checks for a while and comes back to this.

What can I do to get back onto my PS3 properly.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 31 (39,282 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Re: No Applicable update data was found!

Fat32 formatted memory stick. Update data in folder layout PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP.

Create a folder 'PS3', inside that create a folder 'UPDATE', inside that put the update data. All names must be uppercase.

http://uk.playstation.com/ps3/support/system-software/detail/item459018/Update-features-%28ver-4-11%...
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 31 (39,274 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Hi

have done exactly what youve said to do but still keeps commin up with with same message above

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 31 (39,231 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Re-check everything, it'll only work if it's exactly as I stated. 'PS3' must be top level directory, both directory names and the filename must be uppercase.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 31 (39,217 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I tried all that and I was sure I had it saved correctly , I even saved it to sd card and tried with adapter, then on a DVD-R and a DVD+RW, still no luck , then I swapped out a hdd from an old ylod 40gb , still no luck, I played about with formatting and installing updates for hours . .... Then ... I also had a fat cech M03 ylod ( I love you Sony) this hdd had a lot of data on it ( gt4 oblivion ) so I was reluctant to put it in my slim as it would instantly format it and probably give me another error message ( cannot find hdd etc) ....... BUT ....I guess the Gamer Inside me took over and I unscrewed it from the fat hdd caddy and fixed it into the slim hdd caddy and inserted into the slim hdd caddy ..... As it formatted my heart sank thinking of all those years of game saves disappearing .... And all I was going to get for them would be an error message :smileysad: .....Formatting finishes , USB light starts flashing ..... Wait for error message....... UPDATE 4.11 Ready to install press ok ! it worked !
Summary : I think my 320gb died of corruption , I think the second hdd was also dodgy , I was absolutely certain I had saved to flash drive correctly BEFORE I attempted swapping drives .Try a different drive if you have a unimportant 2.5 Sata lying around or just buy a new 2.5 Sata hdd . Hope this helps someone .
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 31 (39,209 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Can any one tell me how I can get my ps3 to work again...how can i reinstall the update if it wont let me do anything...please. if so an exact walk through would bd great
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 31 (38,902 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

You will need to use a pc/laptop , to put the update data onto a USB stick ,
Then you will have to put the USB stick with the data on in the usb slot on your ps3 and press start and select together .
The update data is found on playstations website .
There is a link a few messages above . Read up though . The data needs to be saved in a certain way for it to work . ( lots of posts on here about how to do this )
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 31 (38,898 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

You need to download your update from the correct website for your region. I'm in uk so got mine from Eu website , not U.S website.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 31 (38,897 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Yeah I had the same problem myself but I figured it out. I followed the instructions exactly from the sight, format into fat 32, make folders all upercased, and install the update into the last folder. But, sadly I had no luck and it didnt work. Then I went back to the last, which held the update, strangely the update had an extra ".pup" after the program in lowercased letters. So, I decided to re-download the update from the Sony website and it didnt have the extra ".pup" at the end. Try to check if it has ".pup" at the end of the update and if it does, get rid of it and it should work fine. 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 31 (38,779 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Re: No Applicable update data was found

thank you very much it works for me any question let me know if you get stuck ok :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 31 (38,653 Views)
0 Kudos