11 Nov 2008
Playstation Staff

Oh dear, blue screen of death on my PS3?!

37 Replies 23,820 Views Created 11-11-2008

I seem to have just encountered a slight problem with my PS3. Was browsing YouTube on my PS3 just now, was looking for videos of anyone managing to get that "Beat Zico" trophy in Wipeout HD. A bad idea as it turns out because it looks like Zico has in fact just beaten my PS3. I was browsing the list of available vids when I pressed and held down the X button to open up one of them in a new window. At this point instead of opening a new window I got what can only be described as a "blue screen of death" A blue screen with a load of text all over it, mainly gibberish but I'm sure I saw the word "installing" or "initializing" or something like that in there. Then I think out of surprise I accidentally hit X again, my PS3 reboots and now I'm presented with a screen telling me the "Hard Drive Database will be rebuilt"

I can only assume that means I have to kiss goodbye to everything on my HDD if I want to see the XMB again. What makes this worse is that I only recently put in a new 320GB HDD and because I only had an external storage device with enough space to back up my save games and not everything on the HDD I've spent a very long time redownloading all my old  games, updates, dlc etc. And now it looks like I need to do it all again! My ISP is going to have a fit! 

Just wondering what your thoughts were? Do you think it's something to do with the new HDD going wrong, though up until now, it been absolutely perfect, not  a single problem or error. Or is it something to do with the web browser going kaput, I mean lets face it, it's hardly Firefox in the first place is it? Or is it possible that it got some sort of virus of malicious file from trying to open that video on YouTube? That error screen was like nothing I've ever seen on the PS3 before?

I guess I'll have to face the inevitable eventually and rebuild the damned HDD database, wasn't there supposed to be an emergency option menu thing pop up when you hold the power button for so long? Can't even seem to be able to get that to show itself to try reinstalling the firmware or something. 

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated. 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 38 (23,820 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Re: Oh dear, blue screen of death on my PS3?!

i dont recall people saying they have lost much with a DB rebuild.. its not a reformat or anything..   let the rebuild finish, see how it goes... if you dont have any problems after, then all is good... if it keeps happening, then maybe it doesnt like your hard drive :s

i wouldnt point my finger at the firmware unless it did it a couple of times while doing different things.. 

id the DB rebuild takes a while, and you have lots of media on there (songs, videos etc) then i would guess that its rebuilding the media database

For the recovery menu:

1. Turn off Playstation®3.
2. Hold the power button down; the system will turn on and turn off once again.
3. Once the System has been shutdown, re-press you finger until you hear 2 consecutive beeps
4. When you hear the 2 beeps take finger off power button.
5. You will be prompted to plug in your controller via USB and then hit the PS button
6. The Recovery menu will pop up.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 38 (23,726 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

I didn't know about the recovery menu - thanks for that :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 38 (23,688 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I had exactly the same thing happen to me a few weeks after I fitted a 160gig HDD, the only things I lost were album titles and a few video names that I had changed had reverted back to the original titles.

No data, demos, videos, music or saves were lost at all.

It scared the hell out of me, but I happy to say it wasn't a major issue at all. That was about 9 months ago and its been fine since.

Regards

Scaff

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 38 (23,660 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Well, I bit the bullet and did the rebuild, and all that happened was my PS3 thought it was brand new again and had to reconfigure all the settings, but all my old stuff was still there from the save games to play tv recordings so no harm done, apart from scaring the hell out of me. Thanks for you input folks.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 38 (23,613 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

i have been having the tsame problem, it happened to me two days ago  since then i havent been able to earn any trophies, just wondering if that has happened to anybody and how to fix that
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 38 (23,506 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

The Blue Screen appeared on my PS3 as well, but this happened twice in 2 days.

The first time it showed the blue screen with some forigen language and it scared the hell out of me.

Then it asked to reconfugure my PS3 again, which I did. The data was still there, and the PS3 worked fine for a day.

But then again the next day, when I was trying to watch some videos online the same thing happened again. This led me to believe that there is some thing wrong with watching online videos on PS3. This never happened to my PS3 since last 3 months when I bought it.

My data is still there on the disk but I am still afraid that the blue screen will show up again. 

My request to the PS3 development team is to look into this matter, as I am not the only one facing this problem.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 38 (22,856 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I have a similar experience when I changed my HDD out but it only happened once.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 38 (22,832 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Similar thing happened to me too. I was playing COD WAW online when the screen went blue with all green patterns over it. The PS3 was working fine i could still hear sound and everything. i thought it was my tv but that was fine. i changed the hdmi cable bit still no picture, i tried a scart lead but still nothing , also i tried a different tv but still no luck. Seems like the ps3 wouldnt send the picture to my tv or something. i got a refurb a week later.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 38 (22,937 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Had the same thing happen to me on Battlefield the other night scared the crap out of me as I thought the PS3 had died but luckily it came back to me

Over 18 then Click on Signature to Visit Mature PS3 Gamers. Come and join the forum and join the fun.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 38 (22,874 Views)
0 Kudos