27 Feb 2013
By: Fluffiehead Member 6 Posts
Level 1

PS3 12g super slim internal hard drive update problem

13 Replies 1,262 Views Created 27-02-2013

My lads decided that they wanted a 2nd PS3 in the house as they couldnt agree who was playing what and when etc.

In my wisdom I decided that as we already had a 320g then a super slim 12g would surely be sufficient. How wrong i was, 2 game updates and the flash drive is full. No problem I thought buy a bracket and add a internal 320g drive, looks easy.

Bracket and drive arrived fitted a treat, system recognised drive and all was running great.

Until I update any game with the software versions that appear on screen....they update no problem, play fine. The problem comes when I turn the machine off and back on. 

It starts to reboot as normal but appears to freeze....the wavy lines and dots appear but no icons. The machine will then not respond and the only way to turn off is by the plug. Then when trying to reboot again says the data is corrupt and offers formatting instructions but will not format saying an error message (FFFFFFFF).

Please , any ideas I'm beginning to thing the 12g is a right waste of money!!!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14 (1,262 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Re: PS3 12g super slim internal hard drive update problem

Fluffiehead wrote:

My lads decided that they wanted a 2nd PS3 in the house as they couldnt agree who was playing what and when etc.

In my wisdom I decided that as we already had a 320g then a super slim 12g would surely be sufficient. How wrong i was, 2 game updates and the flash drive is full. No problem I thought buy a bracket and add a internal 320g drive, looks easy.

Bracket and drive arrived fitted a treat, system recognised drive and all was running great.

Until I update any game with the software versions that appear on screen....they update no problem, play fine. The problem comes when I turn the machine off and back on. 

It starts to reboot as normal but appears to freeze....the wavy lines and dots appear but no icons. The machine will then not respond and the only way to turn off is by the plug. Then when trying to reboot again says the data is corrupt and offers formatting instructions but will not format saying an error message (FFFFFFFF).

Please , any ideas I'm beginning to thing the 12g is a right waste of money!!!

Hi Fluffiehead,

I have not encountered this error message before? However what i would recommend is if the console is starting up and you only have the wavy line there is a corrupted data issue here.

What I would recommend doing is starting the console in Safe Mode and going through options 2-5. After each option check if you can see the operating system on the console, and that the functionality is normal.

Let me know how you get on.

Rabid

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14 (1,253 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Is it jailbroken?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14 (1,250 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

I'd say the HDD is broken, try removing the HDD and see if the PS3 reverts back to flash and if ti will work.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14 (1,245 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

mh637099 wrote:
Is it jailbroken?

The FFFFFFFFFF error (or something along these lines) would usually appear with PSP homebrew although I have not heard of this on the PS3.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14 (1,237 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

I had an error code called 00000000 on official PS3 firmware. Not sure if it applies to the F error.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14 (1,235 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

No we've only had it 2 weeks before discovering it's too small!!!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14 (1,233 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

How much space you have?

Go to system settings, system information.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14 (1,227 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

If i take the hard drive out and go back to flash drive the system work fine. The drive i install works ok until i update any game and then once i shut down the machine i then get the errors / freeze when restarting??

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14 (1,219 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Fluffiehead wrote:

If i take the hard drive out and go back to flash drive the system work fine. The drive i install works ok until i update any game and then once i shut down the machine i then get the errors / freeze when restarting??

Try updating the same game without the HDD onto the flash memory.

As i said this is most likely broken HDD, when it tries to install the update the PS3 fails at some point to read or write data and it crashes.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14 (1,197 Views)
0 Kudos