Reply
Want to join in?

Sign in to continue

I have a PSN account

Welcome back!

I'm new!

it only takes a minute or two

  • 29

    New messages in the last hour

  • Get a response within minutes

  • 92%

    92% percent of messages responded to

27 Feb 2013
By Fluffiehead

Fluffiehead

  • Offline
32%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

PS3 12g super slim internal hard drive update problem

13 Replies 2,009 Views Created 27-02-2013

My lads decided that they wanted a 2nd PS3 in the house as they couldnt agree who was playing what and when etc.

 

In my wisdom I decided that as we already had a 320g then a super slim 12g would surely be sufficient. How wrong i was, 2 game updates and the flash drive is full. No problem I thought buy a bracket and add a internal 320g drive, looks easy.

Bracket and drive arrived fitted a treat, system recognised drive and all was running great.

 

Until I update any game with the software versions that appear on screen....they update no problem, play fine. The problem comes when I turn the machine off and back on. 

 

It starts to reboot as normal but appears to freeze....the wavy lines and dots appear but no icons. The machine will then not respond and the only way to turn off is by the plug. Then when trying to reboot again says the data is corrupt and offers formatting instructions but will not format saying an error message (FFFFFFFF).

 

Please , any ideas I'm beginning to thing the 12g is a right waste of money!!!

Reply
0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
Beta Tester
04
/16

RabidWalker

  • Beta Tester
  • Offline
88%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RabidWalker
Accepted Solution

Fluffiehead wrote:

My lads decided that they wanted a 2nd PS3 in the house as they couldnt agree who was playing what and when etc.

 

In my wisdom I decided that as we already had a 320g then a super slim 12g would surely be sufficient. How wrong i was, 2 game updates and the flash drive is full. No problem I thought buy a bracket and add a internal 320g drive, looks easy.

Bracket and drive arrived fitted a treat, system recognised drive and all was running great.

 

Until I update any game with the software versions that appear on screen....they update no problem, play fine. The problem comes when I turn the machine off and back on. 

 

It starts to reboot as normal but appears to freeze....the wavy lines and dots appear but no icons. The machine will then not respond and the only way to turn off is by the plug. Then when trying to reboot again says the data is corrupt and offers formatting instructions but will not format saying an error message (FFFFFFFF).

 

Please , any ideas I'm beginning to thing the 12g is a right waste of money!!!


Hi Fluffiehead,

 

I have not encountered this error message before? However what i would recommend is if the console is starting up and you only have the wavy line there is a corrupted data issue here.

 

What I would recommend doing is starting the console in Safe Mode and going through options 2-5. After each option check if you can see the operating system on the console, and that the functionality is normal.

 

Let me know how you get on.

 

Rabid

 

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 12g super slim internal hard drive update problem



08
/16

mh637099

  • Offline
79%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
mh637099
Accepted Solution
Is it jailbroken?
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 12g super slim internal hard drive update problem

04
/16

foxsevent

  • Offline
92%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
foxsevent
Accepted Solution
I'd say the HDD is broken, try removing the HDD and see if the PS3 reverts back to flash and if ti will work.
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 12g super slim internal hard drive update problem

02
/16

Fluffiehead

  • Offline
32%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Fluffiehead
Accepted Solution

If i take the hard drive out and go back to flash drive the system work fine. The drive i install works ok until i update any game and then once i shut down the machine i then get the errors / freeze when restarting??

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 12g super slim internal hard drive update problem

04
/16

foxsevent

  • Offline
92%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
foxsevent
Accepted Solution

Fluffiehead wrote:

If i take the hard drive out and go back to flash drive the system work fine. The drive i install works ok until i update any game and then once i shut down the machine i then get the errors / freeze when restarting??


Try updating the same game without the HDD onto the flash memory.

As i said this is most likely broken HDD, when it tries to install the update the PS3 fails at some point to read or write data and it crashes.

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 12g super slim internal hard drive update problem

02
/16

Fluffiehead

  • Offline
32%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Fluffiehead
Accepted Solution

foxsevent wrote:

Fluffiehead wrote:

If i take the hard drive out and go back to flash drive the system work fine. The drive i install works ok until i update any game and then once i shut down the machine i then get the errors / freeze when restarting??


Try updating the same game without the HDD onto the flash memory.

As i said this is most likely broken HDD, when it tries to install the update the PS3 fails at some point to read or write data and it crashes.


The games I have tried all updated to the flash drive and worked fine. All the freezing started when I installed the HDD and then updated the games. I dont believe there is a problem with the machine and unless anyone can tell me different then installing HDD is 'plug n play' style. It all points to a faulty HDD but  my only doubt is that the initial transfer to HDD operation and game use works fine until the games update which I cannot get my head around. Surely if the HDD was faulty it wouldnt format and operate at all?

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 12g super slim internal hard drive update problem

04
/16

foxsevent

  • Offline
92%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
foxsevent
Accepted Solution

Fluffiehead wrote:

foxsevent wrote:

Fluffiehead wrote:

If i take the hard drive out and go back to flash drive the system work fine. The drive i install works ok until i update any game and then once i shut down the machine i then get the errors / freeze when restarting??


Try updating the same game without the HDD onto the flash memory.

As i said this is most likely broken HDD, when it tries to install the update the PS3 fails at some point to read or write data and it crashes.


The games I have tried all updated to the flash drive and worked fine. All the freezing started when I installed the HDD and then updated the games. I dont believe there is a problem with the machine and unless anyone can tell me different then installing HDD is 'plug n play' style. It all points to a faulty HDD but  my only doubt is that the initial transfer to HDD operation and game use works fine until the games update which I cannot get my head around. Surely if the HDD was faulty it wouldnt format and operate at all?


Not necessarily , it could be a sector of the HDD that's damaged, so when the PS3 tries to access these sectors that's when it crashes, a quick format won't be affected by this as it only tags the data that's on it as writable.

The only way to check this is either to do a full format, full HD scan (PC) or try another HDD.

 

Another thing it could be is dodgy connection betwen PS3 and HDD, meaning the SATA connector is damaged but still best way to chceck is by another HDD.

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 12g super slim internal hard drive update problem

[ Edited ]
02
/16

Fluffiehead

  • Offline
32%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Fluffiehead
Accepted Solution

foxsevent wrote:

Fluffiehead wrote:

foxsevent wrote:

Fluffiehead wrote:

If i take the hard drive out and go back to flash drive the system work fine. The drive i install works ok until i update any game and then once i shut down the machine i then get the errors / freeze when restarting??


Try updating the same game without the HDD onto the flash memory.

As i said this is most likely broken HDD, when it tries to install the update the PS3 fails at some point to read or write data and it crashes.


The games I have tried all updated to the flash drive and worked fine. All the freezing started when I installed the HDD and then updated the games. I dont believe there is a problem with the machine and unless anyone can tell me different then installing HDD is 'plug n play' style. It all points to a faulty HDD but  my only doubt is that the initial transfer to HDD operation and game use works fine until the games update which I cannot get my head around. Surely if the HDD was faulty it wouldnt format and operate at all?


Not necessarily , it could be a sector of the HDD that's damaged, so when the PS3 tries to access these sectors that's when it crashes, a quick format won't be affected by this as it only tags the data that's on it as writable.

The only way to check this is either to do a full format, full HD scan (PC) or try another HDD.

 

Another thing it could be is dodgy connection betwen PS3 and HDD, meaning the SATA connector is damaged but still best way to chceck is by another HDD.


I tried the drive from another ps3 in the 12g one and it worked fine so I returned the 'faulty' drive to the supplier. They have now said they have tested the drive an found no faults??

Is there a recomended make or model of drive which best suits ps3?

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 12g super slim internal hard drive update problem

Beta Tester
04
/16

RabidWalker

  • Beta Tester
  • Offline
88%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RabidWalker
Accepted Solution

mh637099 wrote:
Is it jailbroken?

The FFFFFFFFFF error (or something along these lines) would usually appear with PSP homebrew although I have not heard of this on the PS3.

 

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 12g super slim internal hard drive update problem



02
/16

Fluffiehead

  • Offline
32%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Fluffiehead
Accepted Solution

No we've only had it 2 weeks before discovering it's too small!!!

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 12g super slim internal hard drive update problem

08
/16

mh637099

  • Offline
79%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
mh637099
Accepted Solution
I had an error code called 00000000 on official PS3 firmware. Not sure if it applies to the F error.
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 12g super slim internal hard drive update problem

08
/16

mh637099

  • Offline
79%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
mh637099
Accepted Solution
How much space you have?

Go to system settings, system information.
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 12g super slim internal hard drive update problem

02
/16

Fluffiehead

  • Offline
32%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Fluffiehead
Accepted Solution

mh637099 wrote:
How much space you have?

Go to system settings, system information.

 

the system accepts the HDD and displays the memory size 261GB / 298GB which is expected.

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 12g super slim internal hard drive update problem

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel