03 Mar 2013

Playstation Staff

PS3 1st gen 60Gb - randomly shuts down, 3 beeps, red blinking (no yellow light)

6 Replies 1,657 Views Created 03-03-2013

Hi guys,

I own a 60Gb 1st generation PS3 (and I'm quite attached to it since I'm sitll able to play with my old PS1/2 games). For a few years, I've been having some issues with it. It even made me wanna stop playing for a while :smileysad:

While playing, watching a movie, displaying some pictures, surfing the web, going on YouTube, whatever... It doesn't really matter what I'm doing but the PS3 randomly shuts down (could be 5 minutes, could be 1 hour). It's followed by 3 consecutive beeps and the PS3 starts blinking in red. Just to be cautious, I've tried to back up the system but as soon as I start saving it on an external hard drive, it shuts down already. Basically, I'm screwed.

I've read thousand of things about the YLOD, I'd be willing to repair it myself (thanks to: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Yellow+Light+of+Death+Repair/3654/1) but I don't see any yellow led on my PS3.

I really hope someone can find a solution to my problem... I thank you guys already.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7 (1,657 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 1st gen 60Gb - randomly shuts down, 3 beeps, red blinking (no yellow light)

There is a guide to the lights on the front of the PlayStation 3 and what they mean (with illustrations):

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-Technical/What-do-the-different-light-colours-o...

Follow fi8767 on Twitter
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7 (1,635 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Re : PS3 1st gen 60Gb - randomly shuts down, 3 beeps, red blinking (no yellow light)

Yeah, I've checked that already but it's not really helping me out... Basically it could be an overheating but there's plenty of cool air close to the PS3 and I often vacuum the fans. It doesn't make any difference...
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7 (1,619 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Re : PS3 1st gen 60Gb - randomly shuts down, 3 beeps, red blinking (no yellow light)

It's either overheating or theres an internal hardware issue, you can only take to a service to check theres no other fix.
Also good ventilation is required but not necessarily will fix an overheating, it doesn't matter if the PS3 is in open area or even if you live in Arctic, if theres to much dust inside or the fan or radiator fails, it will overheat and let's not forget about the thermal paste, this will as well wear of after few years.
Lastly you have PS3 PHAT!! they are named grills not just by looking like not but also by how hot it gets.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7 (1,605 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 1st gen 60Gb - randomly shuts down, 3 beeps, red blinking (no yellow light)

Hi,

Would have to agree with all of the the above mentioned answers. I have had 2 60gb Fat concsoles one of which was a refurb. They do fill up with dust very easily and will overheat as a result.

Is the ps3 stored in a unit or is it on a carpeted floor?

Carpeted floors a BIG NO as they insulate the the bottom of the console and suck up lots of dust.

Even if the console is in a unit you have to really position it well to maximise airflow  its alright saying its cool but if there is minimal airflow you will run into a problem. My last ps3 had ylod probably because of placing on carpet which just before had the 3 flashing lights like you say.

Find out how much a service would cost. Either from Sony or Im sure in the forum somewhere there are other repair services mentioned but this will not be a guarantee that this wont happen again.

Hallio

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7 (1,591 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Hi guys,

The PS3 is not stored anywhere, it's just sitting on an empty desk. There's plenty of fresh air around that corner.

I tried the YLOD fix (even though I've never had any yellow light) just to give it a try. The thermal paste was all dry and the thermal pads weren't that soft anymore. I changed it all by following the step-by-step tutorial from ifixit. Then, I played a little bit with it and everything looked normal until I wanted to watch a random video that was embed in a website and BOOM! did it again! Those damn 3 beeps and the shutdown.

I definitely know those beeps mean that the system is going on safe mode due to overheating but I don't see how or why! I cleaned the all damn thing with a suitable duster and isopropyl alcohol and gave the fan a good cleansing with a gas duster.

I don't get it and it's really ***** me off :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7 (1,513 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Yeeeeaaaahhhh... as of an hour ago, I have this issue. Shut off instantly after about 2.5 hours of gaming (never happened before) with three beeps followed by the red light. (No yellow)

This baffles me, because the room I was in was cool and the system is sitting on a wire rack. Take away the itty bitty metal slivers holding it up and its practically surrounded by nothing. !.5 feet from the wall. 1 foot of space below it. When I felt the PS3, it was lukewarm, not hot. Maybe I have a hardware malfunction, but the longer I let it sit, when I press the power button again, the longer it stays on before shutting off again.... wat

Baffling. Of course, Gamestop refurb, probably explains everything.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7 (556 Views)
0 Kudos