20 May 2012

Playstation Staff

PS3 Being really slow and freezing? =/

[ Edited ]
8 Replies 15,475 Views edited 20-05-2012

I have a PS3 Slim which was brought in September last year and it worked perfectly fine until nearly 2 weeks ago when I was playing Black Ops... I was playing online and it sort of started freezing so I switched it off and left it until the next day because I had other things to do. So the day after, I switched it on and put Black Ops in again and waited for it to load...

Only it didn't -.o and was just stuck on a black screen and I left it for a while and there was still a black screen, so I managed to take the disk out and the only way of switching the PS3 off was by the plug and had to reset the system. Ever since then the XMB menu and things load really slowly and whenever you put a game in, it takes quite a while and most of the games I have get stuck on a black screen whilst loading and again, the only way to switch it off is by the plug and ugh =/

Does anyone know how to fix this or anything? It's really annoying D= 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9 (15,475 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 Being really slow and freezing? =/

Switching off at the plug has probably caused more damage than Black Ops freezing tbh. NEVER unplug at the wall! Instead, if the console is completely unresponsive, hold power until it beeps, and the power light starts to flash. It'll eventually triple beep and turn off.

Should that fail, hold power for longer, until the system forces itself into standby. This is a lot safer than unplugging, however should still only be used as a last resort. (A PS3 is like a PC. Turning off the power on a PC during Windows Update is never gonna end well).

To resolve your slow PS3 issue, you should try a "Rebuild Database", followed by a "Restore File System" from the Safe Mode menu. You can find out all about safe mode and how to enter it here.

After that, delete the Black Ops Game Data using the Game Data Utility on the XMB, and then reinstall the game, then update and redownload any addons you have. Finally, make sure no torrenting software is running on your local network. (uTorrent, FrostWire etc as this uses the same ports as COD and stops the game running online).

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9 (15,453 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Alright, thank you for replying =)

I clicked on the 'Rebuild Database' thing and it was like stuck on 0% for about... 5 hours =/ so i switched it off by holding the power button down, switched it on and it said it needed to rebuild the database.. so i pressed ok and it loaded all the way up to 27% then i saw that the background thing had frozen D= so.. i switched it off again, back on and waited for it to load again but, it froze on 0% again! but yeah, i guess i'll keep trying =I

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9 (15,438 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

HyperBee

exact same thing happened to me then the system Brokedown.... the thermol paste on your CPU an GPU needs Replacing it will cost £110. its happening to lots of players ATM... i fixed mine with a Hairdryer and a Fridge!!!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9 (15,434 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Back up your data, deactive your console from the account managment menu and get replaced for free as you still under warrenty good Buddy

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9 (15,433 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

If rebuild database is not able to complete, try restoring the file system first.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9 (15,430 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Hmm, I did do the restore file system thing the other day, and it did say there was corrupted data, and it deleted a couple of game save things but, it was still slow =/
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9 (15,427 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

Having a very low amount of free HDD space slows it down too. Try and ensure there's at least 5GB free to be safe. Some people hoard demos and videos, are you one of them?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9 (15,425 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Nope, i'm not =/ anyway, thanks for all the advice guys but i was able to get my PS3 replaced today =D so yeah thankyou for your help =)
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9 (15,400 Views)
0 Kudos