For the last ~6 months or so, my Playstation console has been occasionally turning itself off during games. I just attributed it to general hardware failure or overheating (keep in mind that the console is sitting at the top of an open desk with nothing within 2 feet of either side or the rear), however it has recently become a recurring issue.
I generally can't seem to keep the console on any longer than 5 minutes, regardless of what I do. Even if I'm just idling on the dashboard, it turns itself off.
Now I've spent a good portion of today browsing forums and researching this issue to no avail. Please note that this is NOT a case of YLOD or Overheating, based on the definitions found HERE.
- The console lights do not flicker or change colour. There is no standby. It simply turns off abruptly.
- The console does not beep three times, or at all. Just an instant shutdown.
- The console can no longer be rebooted until I've removed the power cable and re-inserted it.
- I've tried multiple power cables, power boards and power sockets.
- This is a Sony Playstation 3 120GB Slim (CECH-2002A) purchased brand new on release day (September 1st, 2009), from a retailer in Brisbane Australia.
To be honest you should have just got a replacement using the 1 year warranty Sony offers when this started to happen 6 months ago - they may still honor it out of good will if you phone them up. I am presuming it works the same way in Australia?
Looks like its some sort of hardware build malfunction whatever this means?? Time for a replacement me thinks :$
In hindsight, I agree. But it was a pretty rare issue, and as I said - I'd merely attributed it to general malfunction and overheating, these things are to be expected with any technology. I didn't anticipate it would get as bad as it has now.
I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what I can do.
i know your post was a while back, but ive just started to have the same problem...i was wondering if you found ot what the issue was in the end?
I know your post was a while back, but ive just started to have the same problem...i was wondering if you found ot what the issue was in the end?
You will find the advice in this thread useful.
- Select a Language