20 Jan 2011

Playstation Staff

PS3 Console Turning Self Off

4 Replies 4,845 Views Created 20-01-2011

Hi there,

For the last ~6 months or so, my Playstation console has been occasionally turning itself off during games. I just attributed it to general hardware failure or overheating (keep in mind that the console is sitting at the top of an open desk with nothing within 2 feet of either side or the rear), however it has recently become a recurring issue. 

I generally can't seem to keep the console on any longer than 5 minutes, regardless of what I do. Even if I'm just idling on the dashboard, it turns itself off.

Now I've spent a good portion of today browsing forums and researching this issue to no avail. Please note that this is NOT a case of YLOD or Overheating, based on the definitions found HERE.

• The console lights do not flicker or change colour. There is no standby. It simply turns off abruptly.
  • The console does not beep three times, or at all. Just an instant shutdown.
  • The console can no longer be rebooted until I've removed the power cable and re-inserted it.
  • I've tried multiple power cables, power boards and power sockets.
  • This is a Sony Playstation 3 120GB Slim (CECH-2002A) purchased brand new on release day (September 1st, 2009), from a retailer in Brisbane Australia.
So far I've managed to find two posts mentioning this issue, with no replies or follow-up whatsoever.
Any suggestions from those who have encountered and/or overcome this issue?
Thanks in advance. <3

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5 (4,845 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 9

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 Console Turning Self Off

To be honest you should have just got a replacement using the 1 year warranty Sony offers when this started to happen 6 months ago - they may still honor it out of good will if you phone them up. I am presuming it works the same way in Australia?

Looks like its some sort of hardware build malfunction whatever this means?? Time for a replacement me thinks :$

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5 (4,804 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

In hindsight, I agree. But it was a pretty rare issue, and as I said - I'd merely attributed it to general malfunction and overheating, these things are to be expected with any technology. I didn't anticipate it would get as bad as it has now.

I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what I can do.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5 (4,794 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

i know your post was a while back, but ive just started to have the same problem...i was wondering if you found ot what the issue was in the end?

Jenny

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5 (469 Views)
0 Kudos
Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

jen_just wrote:

I know your post was a while back, but ive just started to have the same problem...i was wondering if you found ot what the issue was in the end?

Jenny

Hi Jenny,

You will find the advice in this thread useful.

SFZ

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5 (454 Views)
0 Kudos