12 Jul 2010
Playstation Staff

PS3 Controller Not Charging

55 Replies 97,665 Views Created 12-07-2010

Hey guys I have 3 controllers, all fairly new. 2 of them decided to stop charging so I got a new charger, and still wont charge. When I connect the charger to the controller it flashes red once (normally flashes continuously) and then stops. This happens on both of them. I know its not to do with the charger because its a new charger and also the other controller charges fine with it. I even bought a brand new controller, this charges but then only turns on when its connected through the USB charger, just acts dead when its wireless. Any ideas or anything I can? Cheers Dan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 56 (97,665 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 Controller Not Charging

[ Edited ]

Tried the reset button on the back and then re-syncing the controllers?

EDIT - If you can't find the reset button

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 56 (97,663 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

thanks for the quick reply. ill try it and let you know. thanks
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 56 (97,688 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

do I press the reset button and L2 at the same time or just the reset button?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 56 (97,615 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

just reset :smileyhappy: then wire it up to the ps3 and press the PS button
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 56 (97,611 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I tried that. The thing is the cable charges one controller. But the other 3 controllers which are new, when I press the PS button nothing happens what so ever. But when I put the USB cable into them they charge and I can press the PS button and play, just like the old wired PS2 controllers. As soon as I take the USB cable out it goes dead and wont do anything. Its stupid.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 56 (97,607 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

any ideas guys? :smileysad:
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 56 (97,575 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

I just searched and it came up with this :- 1 - turned off the PS3 (not only standby, using the button placed at the back) and even unplugged it from the power source. 2 - connected one controller with the cable to the PS3. 3 - plugged the PS3 again and put the back button to "on" 4 - pressed the "PS" button on the controller 5 - Et voilá ... that made the PS3 turn on, the controller to be recognized as #1 and when I disconnected it from the wire it kept being recognized. 6 - After that, did the same with second controller, with the same results.

PSN UKVampire / Twitter @UKVampire
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 56 (97,575 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

hey guys. update. I have SOME good news. I took the brand new controller back, it was working fine on their PS3 and was charging perfectly. Even after that, they still kindly changed it for a new one :smileyhappy: I brought that home, synced it all up, un took the wire and it was still on. woohoo :smileyhappy: I even turned off the PS3 and turned it back on using that handset so I KNEW it was synced with it. The only problem now is that it won't charge for some reason. When I turn it on it has 1 bar of charge left and when I turn it off and put the cable in to charge it flashes once red and then nothing. Strange. I've ordered a new charger coming in the next few days so see if that works. Dont think its the charger though because it charges 1 perfectly and also I can play with the other ones when "hard wired" like the old PS2 controllers. Anyway, ill see if it works with the new controller.

Any ideas until that arrives?
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 56 (97,564 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

It could be a faulty usb port have you tried both of them(usb ports)?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 56 (97,548 Views)
0 Kudos