Support

PS3 Support

PS3 Support

12 Jul 2010
By: THFC_DaNieL_ Member 16 Posts
Level 1

PS3 Controller Not Charging

50 Replies 67524 Views Created 12-07-2010

Hey guys I have 3 controllers, all fairly new. 2 of them decided to stop charging so I got a new charger, and still wont charge. When I connect the charger to the controller it flashes red once (normally flashes continuously) and then stops. This happens on both of them. I know its not to do with the charger because its a new charger and also the other controller charges fine with it. I even bought a brand new controller, this charges but then only turns on when its connected through the USB charger, just acts dead when its wireless. Any ideas or anything I can? Cheers Dan

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 51 (67,524 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Re: PS3 Controller Not Charging

[ Edited ]

Tried the reset button on the back and then re-syncing the controllers?

EDIT - If you can't find the reset button

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 51 (67,522 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

thanks for the quick reply. ill try it and let you know. thanks
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 51 (67,547 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

do I press the reset button and L2 at the same time or just the reset button?

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 51 (67,474 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

just reset :smileyhappy: then wire it up to the ps3 and press the PS button
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 51 (67,470 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

I tried that. The thing is the cable charges one controller. But the other 3 controllers which are new, when I press the PS button nothing happens what so ever. But when I put the USB cable into them they charge and I can press the PS button and play, just like the old wired PS2 controllers. As soon as I take the USB cable out it goes dead and wont do anything. Its stupid.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 51 (67,466 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

any ideas guys? :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 51 (67,434 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

I just searched and it came up with this :- 1 - turned off the PS3 (not only standby, using the button placed at the back) and even unplugged it from the power source. 2 - connected one controller with the cable to the PS3. 3 - plugged the PS3 again and put the back button to "on" 4 - pressed the "PS" button on the controller 5 - Et voilá ... that made the PS3 turn on, the controller to be recognized as #1 and when I disconnected it from the wire it kept being recognized. 6 - After that, did the same with second controller, with the same results.

Editor-In-Chief / PSN UKVampire / Twitter @UKVampire
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 51 (67,433 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

hey guys. update. I have SOME good news. I took the brand new controller back, it was working fine on their PS3 and was charging perfectly. Even after that, they still kindly changed it for a new one :smileyhappy: I brought that home, synced it all up, un took the wire and it was still on. woohoo :smileyhappy: I even turned off the PS3 and turned it back on using that handset so I KNEW it was synced with it. The only problem now is that it won't charge for some reason. When I turn it on it has 1 bar of charge left and when I turn it off and put the cable in to charge it flashes once red and then nothing. Strange. I've ordered a new charger coming in the next few days so see if that works. Dont think its the charger though because it charges 1 perfectly and also I can play with the other ones when "hard wired" like the old PS2 controllers. Anyway, ill see if it works with the new controller.

Any ideas until that arrives?
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 51 (67,417 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

It could be a faulty usb port have you tried both of them(usb ports)?

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 51 (67,403 Views)
0 Kudos