15 Apr 2009
By f430scu

Playstation Staff

PS3 Does Not Detect External Hard Drive

39 Replies 92,193 Views Created 15-04-2009

Hi!

I just bought an external hard drive for my PS3 and to my frustration the PS3 does not detect it but the circle spins around for about 5 seconds at the top right when I plug it in.

I would really appreciate any help given  :manhappy:

Many thanks!!!!! :Wink:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 40 (92,193 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 Does Not Detect External Hard Drive

hi there, my 500gb does this. but only when i have something else plugged into the usb's. Try taking everything out of the usb slots then plug in the Ext. HD.

it wasn't always like this though. I think the external hard drive must have become damaged in some way. At least that's what i think about mine. Because it crashes my pc  until it's warmed up a bit.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 40 (92,089 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

1st things 1st is the external harddrive formatted in fat32 or NTFS? for ps3 to see it it needs to be fat32
PSN ID/MGO:- SwiftFox XBOXLive:- CruelTorment
MY PS3 GAMES:- R:FOM - MOTORSTORM - GRAW2 - SM3CE - R6V - AC - BURNOUT PARADISE - COD4 - DMC4 - UT3 - EG:WT - GT5 PRO - GTAIV:smileyfrustrated:E - DBZ:BL - MGS4 - BUZZ! - GH3 - TOPSPIN3 - R&C:TOD - FALLOUT3 - ENDWAR - SEGA COLLECTION - FIFA09 - SFIV - KZ2 - HAWX - UNCHARTED - BATMAN - FIFA10 - NGS2
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 40 (92,085 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

f430scu wrote:

Hi!

I just bought an external hard drive for my PS3 and to my frustration the PS3 does not detect it but the circle spins around for about 5 seconds at the top right when I plug it in.

If you have a Windows PC, search for SwissKnife. It's freeware and will help you to format the disk with the FAT32 file system. Formatting large drives in FAT32 using the windows format command will not work....

Message Edited by andyrome64 on 17-04-2009 11:00 AM
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 40 (92,037 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

and for those who have an 1TB ExTernal ?

when i put my devise on fat32 it says its 400 Gb

and when its ntfs it just doesnt detect it.

when i first bought it it used to work with

1TB ntfs so after i formatted it just dont work

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 40 (91,583 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

You also need to add the PS3 folders manually - Create a folder system identical to that on the Playstation 3 by creating folders labeled "Picture" (not Photo), "Music", "Video" and "Game
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 40 (91,560 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I recently got a 500gb external drive, did the whole fat32 thing, which is just a huge faff, got it all running, took about... 4 hours total. Totally not worth it. I moved about 4gb of music and 2gb of pics, but the bulk of memory was taken up by installs, saves and demos etc - none of which you can put on the external HDD. If I hadn't scratched the HDD casing so much I'd have taken it back.
Now I have 320gb internal also - much better Internal is defo the way to go.

Hope this helps.

Well, see ya!
Photobucket
Four YLODs?? That's a bit much isn't it?.. Scratch that; now on 5. And no sign of my Dead Rising 2 or Wheels on the Bus discs yet either...
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 40 (91,892 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

richzx6r wrote:
I recently got a 500gb external drive, did the whole fat32 thing, which is just a huge faff, got it all running, took about... 4 hours total. Totally not worth it. I moved about 4gb of music and 2gb of pics, but the bulk of memory was taken up by installs, saves and demos etc - none of which you can put on the external HDD. If I hadn't scratched the HDD casing so much I'd have taken it back.
Now I have 320gb internal also - much better Internal is defo the way to go.

Hope this helps.

Well, see ya!

I use the external drive as a backup to the 500gb drive that is installed in mine.

internal is the best bet.

Unofficial U.K Playstation.com Forums flickr Group |  | Last Platinum: NFS Hot Pursuit
>>> click here for my ps3 mac theme <<<
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 40 (91,881 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

And, bloody aaaand the internal took about 5 minutes, MAX to fit. It was awesome. I now consider myself a fully qualified electrician.
Photobucket
Four YLODs?? That's a bit much isn't it?.. Scratch that; now on 5. And no sign of my Dead Rising 2 or Wheels on the Bus discs yet either...
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 40 (91,876 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

f430scu wrote:

Hi!

if it is powers by usb then it will not work, it has to be mains powered, the usb ports on the ps3 cannot support hard drives via usb, also you need to format the hard drive to fat 32.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 40 (91,860 Views)
0 Kudos