Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 Does Not Detect External Hard Drive

molemole wrote:
You also need to add the PS3 folders manually - Create a folder system identical to that on the Playstation 3 by creating folders labeled "Picture" (not Photo), "Music", "Video" and "Game

well no you dont have to do that . and "game" wont do anything as you cant store games on it . game saves as back up is a much as you can do 

i have 1TB drive along side my 320 internal . mine was formated allready to fat 32 and the free space is about 900-920gigs. you can quick format it as there was nothing on it to start with (should take 5 minutes) , but if that doesnt work do a full format , but that takes hours .

im going to need a another 1tb drive as i have about 20 gigs left between the both of them :smileysad:

Free Image Hosting

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 48 (48,868 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Your drive will already be formatted, even if it is formatted to NTFS which the PS3 won't recognise.

The good part about that is that you then only need a quickformat convertion utility due to the existing formatting.

Follow the instructions and download the free fat32format utlity here:

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm

Worked for me.  Converted a 1TB drive in seconds and yes, you won't get the full drive size back but then that's a major factor in fat32 being dropped as a prefered format in PCs.  The overheads in the file allocation table get silly at larger sizes and that's before you start considering minimum block sizes which will affect storage space a lot if you intend to save a lot of small files.

Use the converter I've linked to.  Don't moan about the drop in drive size. as it's not that bad, really.  Enjoy having a large drive attached to the PS3.  Sorted. :smileyhappy:

Mine's just for backups.

If that fails then make sure your external drive is powered rather than drawing power via the USB socket.  If not, consider a cheap, powered USB hub.

Message Edited by Pendrake on 07-07-2009 12:57 PM
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 48 (48,846 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

It doesn't really matter whether the drive gets it's power from a USB connection, or a wallsocket. I have 2 external drives, both USB-powered. One gets recognized by the PS3 with no problems, and everything I got on it(Music, Videos, Pictures, etc. can be played, shown,...) but the other wont get recognized by the PS3 since I recently NTFS formatted it. And again, both my external drives are USB-powered, so that doesn't have anything to do with the PS3 not being able to recognize the drive.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 48 (48,700 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

worked a treat :-) thanks mate was about to tear my hair out until...

Got a 1TB Seagate external hard drive had the same problem (was formatted in NTFS) used the above link and worked fine afterwards.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 48 (46,047 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I ended up booting of a linux install disc in order to format my external drive to fat32,  Should have thought to search for a utility.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 48 (45,268 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

hey , i have a WD 320gb hard drive with FAT32 format and the original ps3 folders but it wont come up on my ps3 .

i was wondering if anyone could help me with this problem.

much appreciated if someone could :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 48 (43,101 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

andyrome64 wrote:

f430scu wrote:

Hi!

I just bought an external hard drive for my PS3 and to my frustration the PS3 does not detect it but the circle spins around for about 5 seconds at the top right when I plug it in.

I would really appreciate any help given  :manhappy:

Many thanks!!!!! :Wink:

If you have a Windows PC, search for SwissKnife. It's freeware and will help you to format the disk with the FAT32 file system. Formatting large drives in FAT32 using the windows format command will not work....

Message Edited by andyrome64 on 17-04-2009 11:00 AM

Hey there, thanks did work

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 48 (41,631 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I just successfully started backing up my hdd, i think... It says it is backing up with 57 minutes to go. Just though I would share my experience in case it helps. The PS3 is the fat model bought in 2008 with the 40G hdd. The new hdd is the WD Scorpio Blue 320G 7200rpm, and external hdd is WD My Passport Essential. It took forever to get the PS3 to detect the external, but I was finally able to by:

1) Converting to FAT32 with SwissKnife.

2) The external had security turned on, which meant I had to enter a password each time it was plugged in to my pc (which I think is why the PS3 wouldn't detect it when I selected the backup option).

3) I unplugged my 3rd party wired controller (I don't know if it helped but I read somewhere on this thread to unplug anything else that is plugged in to the PS3 usb port so I did.)

As of right now, I am just waiting for the back up option to complete so I can then swap the hdd's and restore the back up data. It took me forever to figure all of this out, which, after typing the steps I took to perform this operation, seem so simple I feel like an idiot now. Oh well, if this helps someone else out and keeps them from going through the frustration I felt then I guess it was worth it. Oh, and if it works and I don't have to re-download the hundreds of Rock Band songs I have on my old hdd then it is well worth it...

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 48 (39,534 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I have a 2tb WD hard drive and is formatted to a FAT 32 but my 320g PS3 will not pick this up but my older PS3 in the other room will recognise the hard drive and play it.

can anyone help with this?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 48 (37,183 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Haha, it's incredible how a relatively simple topic can create so much chaos.  It seems to be down to people just spouting stuff that they don't know about.

External drives then,  I want to get one.  So far, I get the fact it needs to be in FAT32 so I can convert.  So the concerning thing now is power - can someone confirm that PS3 able to power USB powered drives?

If it makes any difference, I was lookig at the Seagate 500GB expansion.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 48 (37,065 Views)
0 Kudos