23%
02 Rank
Progress

PS3 Does Not Detect External Hard Drive

51 Replies 122,573 Views Created 15-04-2009
15 Apr 2009
By f430scu

Hi!

I just bought an external hard drive for my PS3 and to my frustration the PS3 does not detect it but the circle spins around for about 5 seconds at the top right when I plug it in.

I would really appreciate any help given  :manhappy:

Many thanks!!!!! 
0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Spratters53

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Spratters53
Accepted Solution

tntgaming1 wrote:
Amazing advice, deleted one of the games off like you said and hey presto Disney infinity loading, I'm going to have one happy little boy in the morning, thank you soooooooo much xx

Glad i could help. Yeah unfortunately lots of gamers seem to know the answers much better than staff in game stores. I'm not sure if it's because we are more interested, or because they stick to one console (in this case it would be xbox, nothing else supports external hard drives). 

Is there no chance you can take the external hard drive back? Usually stores have a 28 day return policy for "if you don't like the product". 

If you get stuck again, check online, ask here first, or speak to a manager. If you are being told to buy something else to get a game to work don't listen unless multiple people tell you the same thing. Unless you're playing a MMORPG, you should never have to buy anything extra in order to enjoy your game. 

0 Kudos

Re: PS3 Does Not Detect External Hard Drive

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

mailman216216

27%
02 Rank
Progress
mailman216216
Accepted Solution

Ok Im a newb but here goes...

I have a PS3 with the 12 GB hard drive. I just bought Gran Turismo 6 and it said I didn't have enough memory for the update. 

I went and bought a 1TB external hard drive. I partioned a portioned to FAT32 like instructed and plugged it into the PS3.

The device is showing up under Video, Photo, and Game. However, when I go to install the update for GT6 I still get the "not enough space" message. 

Where have I gone wrong? 

PS - I also have deleted all Game Data Utility as well as anything else I had on here...

Thanks! 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

hgwells

• MVP
93%
05 Rank
Progress
hgwells
Accepted Solution
You need to install the hdd inside your console. As explained above (several times, in this thread and others), you cannot use an external drive for storing games. Read through the console manual. There is a section showing how to instal a hdd.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

mytinkerbell4u

24%
02 Rank
Progress
mytinkerbell4u
Accepted Solution

im having the same problem i have a toshiba 500gb usb hard drive and it was working great had all my movies on it and then it got formated and now its not showin up on my ps3. i format it to FAT32 and hook it back up to my ps3 and its still not showing as a usb its not even showing that its hook up. idk what to do

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

hgwells

• MVP
93%
05 Rank
Progress
hgwells
Accepted Solution
@mytinkerbell4u How did you format the drive to Fat32?

Windows is only able to format small capacity drives to fat32, so you need to use a utility such as Swiss knife to format the drive.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Speedeglztj

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Speedeglztj
Accepted Solution

andyrome64 wrote:

f430scu wrote:

Hi!

I just bought an external hard drive for my PS3 and to my frustration the PS3 does not detect it but the circle spins around for about 5 seconds at the top right when I plug it in.

Many thanks!!!!! 

If you have a Windows PC, search for SwissKnife. It's freeware and will help you to format the disk with the FAT32 file system. Formatting large drives in FAT32 using the windows format command will not work....

Message Edited by andyrome64 on 17-04-2009 11:00 AM

Hey there, thanks did work

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

HUYI

• Beta Tester
84%
05 Rank
Progress
HUYI
Accepted Solution

f430scu wrote:

Hi!

Many thanks!!!!! 

if it is powers by usb then it will not work, it has to be mains powered, the usb ports on the ps3 cannot support hard drives via usb, also you need to format the hard drive to fat 32.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Nathan-UFC

26%
02 Rank
Progress
Nathan-UFC
Accepted Solution

most of you are wrong i formatted my ecternal hardrive and it still nothing comes up on my ps3 i even got it replaced with a new one and that one still doesnt come up on my ps3/:

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

P33BUS

25%
02 Rank
Progress
P33BUS
Accepted Solution

I too had the same problem as everyone else and trawled through forums to find the answer to get the HD to get recognised by my ps3.

My hard drive is a powered internal 250gb WD Scorpio Blue 2.5inch which i hooked up initially via usb (however i know now that the drive type doesnt matter and people are getting confused over this as long as it connects to usb or fits in the 2.5 slot). 

I formatted several times to FAT32 and re-partitioned in different ways but nothing happened.

Eventually I figured the problem, in fact I had been formating and partitioning as a master disk and instead it should be formatted as logical in FAT32.  The software I used to do this was "Acronis True Image WD Edition" which I downloaded from western digital website.

hope this helps.  I will add some snap shots and steps soon if it helps?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

johanr111

21%
02 Rank
Progress
johanr111
Accepted Solution

@P33BUS You are amasing!  LOGICAL drive is the answer!

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

paddybee

73%
05 Rank
Progress
paddybee
Accepted Solution

it doesn't have to be mains powered, I have a 250 & a 500 gig hard drives that are just usb powered and they run fine.

It can take a little while for them to read everything thats on there, but this still happens with my three terrabyte hard drives as well (all mains powered)

lots of films and music and piccies!! :WitchyGrin:

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

P33BUS

25%
02 Rank
Progress
P33BUS
Accepted Solution
Agreed with the above, it all relys on is how it's formatted and partitioned.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Smoke77

26%
02 Rank
Progress
Smoke77
Accepted Solution

that's bull***** that if the ps3 powers it, it won't work!

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

BiosNova

• Beta Tester
99%
06 Rank
Progress
BiosNova
Accepted Solution
USB powered ones run fine
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Fragzilla786

22%
02 Rank
Progress
Fragzilla786
Accepted Solution

that is not true in my experience. my wd 1tb works perfectly.

Ok. first problem is windows. MS loves to control ***** and thats the problem. secondly my proposal is that sony for the ps4 should use ext4.

anyway that said most users have win7 and win8 now and its a nightmare to do a fat32 on a drive greater than 32gb. in any case when you do there are other issues that crop up, like the drive not having all of its space et, in my experience.

just go to ubuntu or some linux. inthe terminal type palimpsest or gnome-disks.

use this utility. it takes about 10 seconds. now, obviously linux will read almost anything, but you have to be careful if you want windows to uze the drive as well. choose the option to allow compztibility with all systems.and select standard fat32. then test by mounting the drive. if it works, you can now even use this drive in wkndows. i texted my 2.5 1tb drive. after this even win8 sees it as a 1tb ext drve and the ps picked it up immediately

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

W3tD0g50

23%
02 Rank
Progress
W3tD0g50
Accepted Solution

hey , i have a WD 320gb hard drive with FAT32 format and the original ps3 folders but it wont come up on my ps3 .

i was wondering if anyone could help me with this problem.

much appreciated if someone could :smileyvery-happy:

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Kshunka

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Kshunka
Accepted Solution

I just successfully started backing up my hdd, i think... It says it is backing up with 57 minutes to go. Just though I would share my experience in case it helps. The PS3 is the fat model bought in 2008 with the 40G hdd. The new hdd is the WD Scorpio Blue 320G 7200rpm, and external hdd is WD My Passport Essential. It took forever to get the PS3 to detect the external, but I was finally able to by:

1) Converting to FAT32 with SwissKnife.

2) The external had security turned on, which meant I had to enter a password each time it was plugged in to my pc (which I think is why the PS3 wouldn't detect it when I selected the backup option).

3) I unplugged my 3rd party wired controller (I don't know if it helped but I read somewhere on this thread to unplug anything else that is plugged in to the PS3 usb port so I did.)

As of right now, I am just waiting for the back up option to complete so I can then swap the hdd's and restore the back up data. It took me forever to figure all of this out, which, after typing the steps I took to perform this operation, seem so simple I feel like an idiot now. Oh well, if this helps someone else out and keeps them from going through the frustration I felt then I guess it was worth it. Oh, and if it works and I don't have to re-download the hundreds of Rock Band songs I have on my old hdd then it is well worth it...

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Mister_Pine

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Mister_Pine
Accepted Solution

Thank you so much Kshunka! You're step 3 was my only problem with getting my ehd to connect. :Thumbs:

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16
21%
02 Rank
Progress
atownpride1rocks
Accepted Solution

:Stupid:

i just wanted to say thank you so much i was trying to back up my stuff for my 1 tb drive i feel stupid that i did not take off my security but now it works 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

pabs80

44%
02 Rank
Progress
pabs80
Accepted Solution
I Still have issues even after a logical fat32 formatting :(

Since getting a new computer recently I have a spare Intel 330 SSD and I wanted to use it in a hard drive enclosure to use as an external drive with my PS3. I am doing this currently with a spare 40GB conventional drive.

I have overcome the usual hurdles of formatting a large drive to fat32 and having Video and Picture folders on the root of the drive, but it is still not recognized by the PS3. Its fine plugging in to my laptop but nothing on the PS. I am using the same (usb 2.0) enclosure with both drives, but only the 40 gig works.

I am stumped. Any help or ideas would be great, thanks.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Tomtastic1

23%
02 Rank
Progress
Tomtastic1
Accepted Solution

coverted my WD 1tb hd to fat32, ps3 still won't see it. how do you take off the security on the hard drive

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel