Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 Does Not Detect External Hard Drive

Its my birthday today, new external hard drive.  Excatly the same issue. PLEASE helpppppppp

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 21 of 40 (9,336 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 9

Playstation Staff

aston82 escribió:

Its my birthday today, new external hard drive.  Excatly the same issue. PLEASE helpppppppp

Is it FAT32 formatted? If not you will have to reformat it

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 22 of 40 (9,333 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I also just got an Iomega 1TB HD. I reformatted it to FAT32 with the Disk Utility on my mac, but it's not getting detected on my PS3. I'm connecting through USB, so I don't know if that's a problem, but I know at one point I was able to connect my smaller 250G Iomega to the PS3....sad day. Any ideas?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 23 of 40 (8,818 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Use a program called Mini Partition wizard 6, Format the ext. Hdd and change the drives system to Fat32.

Make four new cases called Game, Photo, Music, Data. Then you should be on your way. Greetings From Denmark :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 24 of 40 (8,199 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Thank you so much Kshunka! You're step 3 was my only problem with getting my ehd to connect. :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 25 of 40 (7,957 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

most of you are wrong i formatted my ecternal hardrive and it still nothing comes up on my ps3 i even got it replaced with a new one and that one still doesnt come up on my ps3/:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 26 of 40 (7,933 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I too had the same problem as everyone else and trawled through forums to find the answer to get the HD to get recognised by my ps3.

My hard drive is a powered internal 250gb WD Scorpio Blue 2.5inch which i hooked up initially via usb (however i know now that the drive type doesnt matter and people are getting confused over this as long as it connects to usb or fits in the 2.5 slot). 

I formatted several times to FAT32 and re-partitioned in different ways but nothing happened.

Eventually I figured the problem, in fact I had been formating and partitioning as a master disk and instead it should be formatted as logical in FAT32.  The software I used to do this was "Acronis True Image WD Edition" which I downloaded from western digital website.

hope this helps.  I will add some snap shots and steps soon if it helps?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 27 of 40 (6,993 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

it doesn't have to be mains powered, I have a 250 & a 500 gig hard drives that are just usb powered and they run fine.

It can take a little while for them to read everything thats on there, but this still happens with my three terrabyte hard drives as well (all mains powered)

lots of films and music and piccies!! :WitchyGrin:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 28 of 40 (6,949 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Agreed with the above, it all relys on is how it's formatted and partitioned.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 29 of 40 (6,946 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

that's bull***** that if the ps3 powers it, it won't work!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 30 of 40 (6,227 Views)
0 Kudos