54%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

PS3 Freeze

25 Replies 5,490 Views Created 15-01-2013

Hey, I currently am using a 320GB Slim PS3 running on 4.31 and I seem to freeze during gameplay (in the middle of Black Ops 2 matches, FIFA 13 games, AC3 loading screens). This did not happen at all on 4.30. Anyone know why this is happening? Is it just the update?

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

ty-hoff98

54%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ty-hoff98
Accepted Solution

Oh and just before it freezes it usually makes a high pitch sound. I'm not sure if that's the PS3 stuffing up or my T.V..

0 Kudos

Re: PS3 Freeze

Beta Tester
/16

RabidWalker

• Beta Tester
88%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RabidWalker
Accepted Solution

ty-hoff98 wrote:

Oh and just before it freezes it usually makes a high pitch sound. I'm not sure if that's the PS3 stuffing up or my T.V..

Hi ty-hoff98,

Where can you hear the sound coming from, is it through the speakers or from the PS3 itself?

0 Kudos

/16

ty-hoff98

54%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ty-hoff98
Accepted Solution

RabidWalker wrote:

ty-hoff98 wrote:

Hi ty-hoff98,

Where can you hear the sound coming from, is it through the speakers or from the PS3 itself?

It'd be coming from my T.V so it's probably the T.V messing up with the lag/freezing on the PS3. It gets really annoying. 

That solves the 2nd issue, could you help me with the 1st issue relating to the freezing? Thank you.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Beta Tester
/16

RabidWalker

• Beta Tester
88%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RabidWalker
Accepted Solution

Does it freeze on the XMB menu or in a specific game for instance?

If its a game, try deleting the data for the game in 'Game Data Utility' and reloading the patches for it. If its on the XMB, try Safe Mode and option 3 specifically.

Let me know how it goes,

Rabid

0 Kudos

/16

ty-hoff98

54%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ty-hoff98
Accepted Solution

RabidWalker wrote:

Does it freeze on the XMB menu or in a specific game for instance?

If its a game, try deleting the data for the game in 'Game Data Utility' and reloading the patches for it. If its on the XMB, try Safe Mode and option 3 specifically.

Let me know how it goes,

Rabid

It only freezes in games, not on the XMB menu. I deleted the patch for FIFA 13 and redownloaded and install and it still freezes. I've reinstalled the 4.31 update and it still freezes. How do I get into Safe Mode?

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

RabidWalker

• Beta Tester
88%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RabidWalker
Accepted Solution

I've linked it in the post, you can find the guide here.

0 Kudos

/16

ty-hoff98

54%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ty-hoff98
Accepted Solution

RabidWalker wrote:

I've linked it in the post, you can find the guide here.

Okay, I've put my PS3 into safe mode and selected option 3. Now I will test it out if my PS3 still freezes. I'll update you shortly. Thank you.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

ty-hoff98

54%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ty-hoff98
Accepted Solution

UPDATE: My PS3 still freezes during gameplay after I have put my PS3 into safe mode and selected option 3.

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

RabidWalker

• Beta Tester
88%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RabidWalker
Accepted Solution

ty-hoff98 wrote:

UPDATE: My PS3 still freezes during gameplay after I have put my PS3 into safe mode and selected option 3.

Hi ty-hoff98,

You might want to give the other safe mode options a go, although options 4 and 5 will remove data so it would be best to back it up onto an external drive if you can?

Rabid

0 Kudos

/16

ty-hoff98

54%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ty-hoff98
Accepted Solution

RabidWalker wrote:

ty-hoff98 wrote:

Hi ty-hoff98,

You might want to give the other safe mode options a go, although options 4 and 5 will remove data so it would be best to back it up onto an external drive if you can?

Rabid

I'll give it one more shot and I'll try to find an external drive so I could do option 4 and 5 maybe. Will there be a future update coming out that might fix this freezing problem? I've looked through forums and such and I have seen that other people have the same problem as me.

0 Kudos

/16

ty-hoff98

54%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ty-hoff98
Accepted Solution

ty-hoff98 wrote:

RabidWalker wrote:

ty-hoff98 wrote:

Hi ty-hoff98,

Rabid

I'll give it one more shot and I'll try to find an external drive so I could do option 4 and 5 maybe. Will there be a future update coming out that might fix this freezing problem? I've looked through forums and such and I have seen that other people have the same problem as me.

UPDATE: So after transferring all my data onto my external hard drive I put my PS3 into safe mode and rebuilt the database and restored system. My PS3 still freezes during gameplay and now even in game menus. I am really sick of this as I can not even play a game on my PS3 without it freezing! The 4.30 version for PS3 worked perfectly for me.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

ty-hoff98

54%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ty-hoff98
Accepted Solution

Anyone found a solution to this problem or will we have to wait for an update to fix it?

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

SuperFastZombie

• Beta Tester
92%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SuperFastZombie
Accepted Solution

Hi ty-hoff98,

If you have run through all of the Safe Mode options and your console is still freezing then the console likely has a fault. You could try a different HDD but this may not solve the issue so consider this before you make a purchase.

You can also contact PlayStation Support for further assistance.

0 Kudos

/16

ty-hoff98

54%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ty-hoff98
Accepted Solution

SuperFastZombie wrote:

Hi ty-hoff98,

If you have run through all of the Safe Mode options and your console is still freezing then the console likely has a fault. You could try a different HDD but this may not solve the issue so consider this before you make a purchase.

You can also contact PlayStation Support for further assistance.

My PS3 was working perfectly until the 4.31 update.. I'm pretty sure it's the update not my PS3 system. Wasn't the 4.31 meant to fix freezing problems on 4.30? I never actually froze on 4.30, now I am on 4.31.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

ty-hoff98

54%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ty-hoff98
Accepted Solution

This is ridiculous, I am paying $350+ for a brand new PS3 and is still reasonably new today and it is running perfectly until this awful and useless 4.31 update. I should consider my purchase? I didn't know the 4.31 update was going to screw my PS3 over. Fix your system PlayStation.. really..

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

SuperFastZombie

• Beta Tester
92%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SuperFastZombie
Accepted Solution

ty-hoff98 wrote:

This is ridiculous, I am paying $350+ for a brand new PS3 and is still reasonably new today and it is running perfectly until this awful and useless 4.31 update. I should consider my purchase? I didn't know the 4.31 update was going to screw my PS3 over. Fix your system PlayStation.. really..

The freezing could be caused by a number of different faults. If the Safe Mode options have not resolved your issue then the console will need to be sent for service.

SFZ

0 Kudos

/16

ty-hoff98

54%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ty-hoff98
Accepted Solution

SuperFastZombie wrote:

ty-hoff98 wrote:

The freezing could be caused by a number of different faults. If the Safe Mode options have not resolved your issue then the console will need to be sent for service.

SFZ

Where could I possibly get my PS3 serviced? They're gonna have a busy time since there's been a lot of PS3s faulted during this 4.31 update..

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Beta Tester
/16

SuperFastZombie

• Beta Tester
92%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SuperFastZombie
Accepted Solution

You can contact PlayStation Support to discuss your repair/replacement options. 

SFZ 

0 Kudos

/16

ty-hoff98

54%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ty-hoff98
Accepted Solution

SuperFastZombie wrote:

You can contact PlayStation Support to discuss your repair/replacement options. 

SFZ 

I called Playstation Supoort and they said for them to repair my PS3 it would cost $175. I don't have that much spare money lying around, and why should I pay for a newly bought PS3 which actually isn't broken to get fixed when I'm pretty sure it's the update taht's faulty on my system.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Beta Tester
/16

SuperFastZombie

• Beta Tester
92%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SuperFastZombie
Accepted Solution

ty-hoff98 wrote:

I called Playstation Supoort and they said for them to repair my PS3 it would cost $175. I don't have that much spare money lying around, and why should I pay for a newly bought PS3 which actually isn't broken to get fixed when I'm pretty sure it's the update taht's faulty on my system.

How long have you had the system for?

0 Kudos

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel