26 May 2012

Playstation Staff

PS3 Not playing Blu-ray disks

2 Replies 1,835 Views Created 26-05-2012

My PS3 has recently refused to play Blu-Ray disks.  Sometimes it will get as far as the opening studio logo (eg Fox or WB) but then freeze.  It has done this with brand new disks and disks it has played before.  It is still playing games on disk and DVDs, it is only Blu-rays that are really slow to load and then come to a halt, if they get started at all.

Has any one struck this problem?  And what would be even better, have you found a solution?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3 (1,835 Views)
0 Kudos
Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 Not playing Blu-ray disks

A few things to try:

Check your discs

If you have any discs that are not working in the console, check the reading side. We a looking to make sure the side is clean and free from smudges of scratches that may affect it being read. To clean a disc, use lint-free cleaning cloths made specifically for cleaning CD/DVD discs, sold at computer software stores. When cleaning the disc, we recommend starting from the innermost circle, and wiping out to the edge in a straight line. Do not wipe in a cicular motion, as this may create more scratched on the disc.

Are you using the disc correctly?

Confirm the disc is inserted correctly into the PlayStation 3 system (label side should be facing up when the PlayStation 3 system is in the horizontal position).

Try an alternative console

This may not be an option for some, but if you know of another person with a Playstation 3 console you can try the disc(s) affected on their unit. This will help you to check there is not an issue related to the title/disc.

Compatibility and Region Information

-Some PlayStation format software titles may not play on a PlayStation 3 system. It is important to ensure that the region of the disc is Region (B) for Blurays, and Region (2) for DVDs (applicable to European/PAL territories only), and PAL for software.

Check Your Environment

Make sure to keep the PlayStation 3 system away from excessive dust, smoke, steam, extreme temperatures, humidity, or direct sunlight. Full details on Safety Precautions and Use and Handling can be found in the PlayStation 3 Instruction Manual  http://uk.playstation.com/ps3/support/manuals/

If you have gone through these steps and continue to have an issue with your PS3 you can contact our Playstation Support where the folks there should be able to help you.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3 (1,826 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 Not playing Blu-ray disks

Just purchased BlueRay Avengs Assemble and the PS3 is not reading it. Took the disc back to shop audit played on the I store blue ray player. Anyone else have such problems? I have carried out a system update and it still I'd not work
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3 (781 Views)
0 Kudos