18 Nov 2009

Playstation Staff

PS3 Slim - Replacement internal hard drive specifications

21 Replies 58,130 Views Created 18-11-2009

Hi, I know this is a frequent question, but I cannot seem to find a definitive answer.

I wish to swap out my 120GB internal hard drive from a PS3 Slim.  Ideally (with the imminent release of the PVR), I would like to swap in a 1TB internal drive.  My searching of various internet sites and forums have raised a number of concerns.  Specifically, it appears that the physical dimensions of a small (500GB or less) internal 2.5" SATA hard drive are 9.5mm thick.  Sites that I have found 1TB internal drives for sale indicate that the thickness of this capacity drive is 12.5mm. 

1. Does anyone know the physical size dimensions of the current 120GB internal drive in the PS3 slim?

2. Does the hard drive bay only allow for the replacement of an internal drive of the same dimensions, or will it accommodate a larger size 2.5" internal hard drive?

3. Has anyone ventured into the realms of a 1TB internal drive on a PS3 Slim?  If so, have they experienced any issues (other threads indicate there may be issues when large capacity drives are swapped in)?  If so, can they recommend a specific brand/type? 

4.  I understand that EXTERNAL hard drives need to be formatted using the FAT32 file system, is this a relevant consideration when purchasing a new INTERNAL HDD or will the PS3 take care of this issue when it formats the newly installed drive?

Again I apologise if I am going over old ground here, but I have not been able to find answers to my questions on the sites I have scoured. 

Cheers

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 22 (58,130 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 10

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 Slim - Replacement internal hard drive specifications

Chickenlegs14 wrote:

Hi, I know this is a frequent question, but I cannot seem to find a definitive answer.

I wish to swap out my 120GB internal hard drive from a PS3 Slim.  Ideally (with the imminent release of the PVR)

PlayTV? It's been out for quite a while now

, I would like to swap in a 1TB internal drive.  My searching of various internet sites and forums have raised a number of concerns.  Specifically, it appears that the physical dimensions of a small (500GB or less) internal 2.5" SATA hard drive are 9.5mm thick.  Sites that I have found 1TB internal drives for sale indicate that the thickness of this capacity drive is 12.5mm.

It seems odd to me that the hard drives would vary in thickness. Laptops (which these drives are primarily intended for) tend to have a very confined space in which the hard drive sits so they would need to be a standard size. The only thing I can think of is that maybe there's an industry standard of a few mm of variation which all devices can deal with - I would think that the PS3 would also meet this standard.

1. Does anyone know the physical size dimensions of the current 120GB internal drive in the PS3 slim?

2. Does the hard drive bay only allow for the replacement of an internal drive of the same dimensions, or will it accommodate a larger size 2.5" internal hard drive?

As I remember, the bay is walled on the bottom, left and right but not above so the 3mm difference shouldn't be a problem.

3. Has anyone ventured into the realms of a 1TB internal drive on a PS3 Slim?  If so, have they experienced any issues (other threads indicate there may be issues when large capacity drives are swapped in)?  If so, can they recommend a specific brand/type?

I haven't but in theory, any laptop drive should work fine regardless of size.

4.  I understand that EXTERNAL hard drives need to be formatted using the FAT32 file system, is this a relevant consideration when purchasing a new INTERNAL HDD or will the PS3 take care of this issue when it formats the newly installed drive?

You don't need to worry about this

Again I apologise if I am going over old ground here, but I have not been able to find answers to my questions on the sites I have scoured. 

Cheers

Replied as best I can above. Hope it helps.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 22 (58,106 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Hi, and thanks for your response Chimpanzee.

A couple of things to add.  I should have been clearer I guess that I am in Australia and the launch of PlayTV in Australia is not until 26/11/09 (1 week to go, can't wait!).

I have pulled out my existing internal 120GB hard drive and the HDD sleeve that the drive attaches to has a bottom, two sides, and a small top lip - big enough to limit the physical size of any replacement hard drive.  Using a ruler as a crude measurement device, I think anything over 10mm thick would not fit inside the HDD sleeve.  I have made further inquiries with my local IT computer shop who have advised that their information is that internal 2.5" hard drives of 500GB capacity or less are made to standard physical dimensions (about 9mm thick).  A check of their ordering system showed that internal HDD of 500GB and less do not specify any physical dimensions (suggesting that they are all the same), however a check of a 1TB internal HDD, the selling information specifically made mention that the thickness of the drive was 12.5mm - too big for the PS3 Slim HDD sleeve.

Unless I receive any info from a Sony source, or another informed forum member who has in fact installed a 1TB internal HDD into a PS3 slim, I guess I will have to stick to the safer 500GB option.

Cheers

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 22 (58,073 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Chickenlegs14 wrote:

Unless I receive any info from a Sony source, or another informed forum member who has in fact installed a 1TB internal HDD into a PS3 slim, I guess I will have to stick to the safer 500GB option.

Cheers

Honestly I don't think you should need more than 500GB for the PVR anyway, my Humax PVR has a 160GB HDD which is good for 100 hours of recordings, the space / minutes requirement doubles like for like, so a 320GB HDD would give me 200 hours. Unless the PS3 PVR uses some really rubbish compression then I'm sure the space requirements will be the same or better.  My Humax records uncompressed (in so far as it records the Freeview signal without any further compression), many other PVRs perform their own compression so can record more at the slight expense of some picture quality.
There is another consideration which I'm sure Sony have designed the Slim around and that is heat - the larger the capacity and/or rpm, the greater the heat potential of the hard drive.  Sony have released a Slim with a 250GB hard drive and I'm sure the intention for this is mainly the PVR, as there's no way that space will be filled with save games!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 22 (58,059 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Thanks for your comments U392, and I could not agree more.

I am expecting to need max between 100GB and 150GB for use with the PVR, I do however have an extensive Movie library that I wanted to move across onto the PS3 also for ease of playing, especially for my kids.  Movies will take up close to 300GB, hence my initial thought to whack in a 1TB and future proof the PS3, capacity wise, for at least a couple of years.

Cheers

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 22 (58,049 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

An alternative, albeit much more expensive, is to have a Network Attached Storage device such as the Netgear ReadyNAS Duo; it can be used with one or two hard drives inside, mirrored or joined into one large volume.  I have this setup and it works a treat for streaming movies, no need to worry about heat in the PS3 or fiddling around with 2.5" laptop hard drives (the ReadyNAS takes 3.5" desktop hard drives, I would recommend getting the slightly more expensive Enterprise grade ones for reliability).  Can also be used as a general backup or sharing device for all of the computers on your home network, accessible via the internet too with a bit of extra setup.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 22 (57,606 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I too need more space in my PS3. I have the older version PS3 (not slim) and I currently have a 500GB hard drive in it at the moment. I've had it in there for about 7 months and I am full now, only 6GB free. I have my whole movie/tv series library in there and I love the PS3.

But I never asked myself if a bigger drive would fit... by default I thought it would thinking that all 2.5" SATA HDD's were same in size with just different capacity.

I was wrong.

I bought a Western Digital Blue Scorpio 2.5" 1TB hard drive to replace my 500GB and it simply will not fit inside the casing properly without distorting it or bending it (which I did a little). I tried inserting in the PS3 but it simply will not fit at all. You might be ablw to jam it in but you will most likely either brake your PS3 or the Hard drive or both.

So, unfortunately since the 1TB won't fit and I'll have to settle for converting the 1TB to an external hard drive or use it on my laptop.

Keep in mind I have the old PS3 (not slim).

My question is would the PS3 slim have a slightly bigger hard drive hole? I wish Sony would answer make and official post on the subject of 1TB on PS3 slim.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 22 (53,808 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

it wont fit m8,the hdd slot is too small ,sony use the same hdd size specs on all models of ps3 as its easier to mass produce

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 22 (53,803 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I have pulled out my existing internal 120GB hard drive and the HDD sleeve that the drive attaches to has a bottom, two sides, and a small top lip - big enough to limit the physical size of any replacement hard drive.  Using a ruler as a crude measurement device, I think anything over 10mm thick would not fit inside the HDD sleeve. 

I have a 1TB HDD and it is about 15mm i think. I have the slim ps3 also and i want to upgrade my ps3 to a 1TB from 120GB.

Eather

A. unbend the lip of the sleeve and cut it off with some special tools witch i might do

or....

B. Dont put the HDD drive in the sleeve and just put the drive in carfully.

I have tried to put in a hard drive that is a 320GB and its a few mm thick but my TB is twice the size so mabey it can just go in without the sleeve.

I can't tell you now because my ps3 is in a box going to be sent to sony so they can fix it.

I will update you if i can get the 1TB to work or not. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 22 (53,567 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

For those who are interested... A 1TB drive will fit in the older 'fat' PS3's, but with a few caveats. You'll have to remove the upper cover (thus destroying any warranty) and remove the cage that falls over the top of the actual hard drive (NOT the actual drive caddy that secures the drive to the chassis of the console). In my experience of fixing these things (albeit limited) is that the cage serves as a 'guide' and heat sink for the hard drive that was originally installed. Without it a risk of the HDD flopping around or simply missing the interface altogether would/might occur. Thus negating putting the HDD in with the cover off of the console to assure that everything matches up properly. The newer 1TB drives are about 3mm taller (laying flat of the table and measuring up from there). The removal of the cage will allow the newer dives to fit. This can not be said of the slim design. In that I can not confirm that the newer drive doesn't fit, I just haven't had a repair come in that will allow me to test actual tolerances. Hope this helps...
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 22 (52,581 Views)
0 Kudos