View Original Post
22 Dec 2012
By MikeBerry1962

MikeBerry1962

29%
02 Rank
Progress
Accepted Solution

PS3 Super Slim 12GB flash memory space used already?

[ Edited ]
37 Replies 170,540 Views edited 22-12-2012
22 Dec 2012
By MikeBerry1962

I bought a PS3 Super Slim to replace my ageing old standard (fat) PS3 a few days ago. I figured I should go with the cheapest 12gb model and use a 500gb hard drive in it that I have lying around (I've ordered the official bracket/caddy and I'm still waiting for it to arrive.).

In the meantime, I'm playing on the stock 12gb version and have found I've run out of the PS3's 12gb flash memory almost immediately! Is this normal? OK, so I have Journey installed, but that's only about 500mb. I have a few game saves from, NFS Most Wanted, Dirt 3, and GTA. I have no films or music installed, yet I've just tried to play Burnout Paradise, and I've received an error message telling me it can't install the required game updates (about 1.2gb) because there's not enough space left! What the hell is going on?!

Once I get my 500gb drive installed this won't be a problem, but I'm really curious as to where around 9gb or more of flash memory has disappeared to?

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

strangeplaice

• MVP
95%
10 Rank
Progress
strangeplaice
Accepted Solution
In order to install the larger files you need around double the amount of space you require to install the file. IE, if you want to install 1.9GB you need 3.8GB of free space.

This is because the compressed download file needs unpacked before installing, so for a brief instance, there will be two of the downloaded file on the drive before the compressed stuff is deleted. This might explain part of your storage issues.

Most of the space on your BluRay games has probably gone on the install files though. Check your Game Data Utility to check that :)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Re: PS3 Super Slim 12GB flash memory space used already?

All Replies

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

fi8767

96%
09 Rank
Progress
fi8767
Accepted Solution
Have you checked the data stored in the game data utility?
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

strangeplaice

• MVP
95%
10 Rank
Progress
strangeplaice
Accepted Solution
In order to install the larger files you need around double the amount of space you require to install the file. IE, if you want to install 1.9GB you need 3.8GB of free space.

This is because the compressed download file needs unpacked before installing, so for a brief instance, there will be two of the downloaded file on the drive before the compressed stuff is deleted. This might explain part of your storage issues.

Most of the space on your BluRay games has probably gone on the install files though. Check your Game Data Utility to check that :)

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

talksr

41%
02 Rank
Progress
talksr
Accepted Solution

As a xbox360 user moving over to PS3 today on Christmas day, I must say I am pretty disappointed. Everything has gone so well with the console, I have spent most of my morning playing GTA3. However when I just opened my version of Far Cry 3, I was shocked to find all my space has apparently beeunused up! - But this is a brand new console, literally unboxed only a few hours ago. 

I did install Netflix but that used hardly anything. I duly removed the GTA3 game files as suggested in this thread, but that took 6 minutes to complete! I have a very poor Internet connection, and from what I understand, each time you put a disk in with no game files, it downloads all of the updates from the Internet. This would cause me a great deal of problems. Had I have known there were larger sized play stations, I think I would have gone for it. But all of the online sites and shops were raving about this particular model as it was slimmer than the original version and had a flash based, faster memory. 

I also purchased USB flash drive as I was told this would boost storage. Yet I seem unable to save the large game files on this medium, which, given the lack of space would have come in very handy. 

Result, impressive console, but majorly lacking in game storage space. 

one worthless USB storage drive purchased which is not fit for boosting the space I need it to boost. 

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

talksr

41%
02 Rank
Progress
talksr
Accepted Solution
Just to add to the frustrations of my earlier post....
After removing the GTA 3 game data which took 6 minutes, I then had to wait 10 minutes for Far Cry 3 to download and install the online update followed by waiting a further 17 minutes for the PS3 to extract the disk. So in summary it took me 33 minutes to switch between two games on the PS3 slim! Shocking!... And just when things were going so well with it.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

fi8767

96%
09 Rank
Progress
fi8767
Accepted Solution

You can install a hard drive to increase the storage capacity of the console, all you need is a PS3 mounting bracket and a 2.5" SATA hard drive :)

Also, installing game data does take a while but you should only need this once (unless you delete the data after to save space) and from then on the game should boot very fast!

You don't have to download patches/updates for games, you can reject them by pressing the circle button on the screen telling you about the update. Updating is reccomended though as it may fix issues and bugs that you may otherwise experience and you won't be able to play online without accepting the patch/update.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

talksr

41%
02 Rank
Progress
talksr
Accepted Solution

Thanks for your reply. I am just a little taken aback that in under 24 hours of use, the product is apparently full and I am now required to purchase an additional drive and get it installed? None of this was mentioned to me when I purchased the 4 games to go with it or the flash drive. I don't see the purpose in Sony creating a PlayStation which is only capable of playing two games at any one time.

I am presuming the hard drive switch you suggest will not void the warranty, seeing as my product is still under 24 hours old?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

fi8767

96%
09 Rank
Progress
fi8767
Accepted Solution

talksr wrote:

. I don't see the purpose in Sony creating a PlayStation which is only capable of playing two games at any one time.

It makes it cheap and people will always go for something cheap, even if lacking in capacity/features to a more expensive model.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

KyLL_DeSSTY

25%
02 Rank
Progress
KyLL_DeSSTY
Accepted Solution

stop being a baby. ps3 kicks the ass of any microsoft product. that includes xbox 360 or xbox one. microsoft is garbage. the japanese are years beyond the north american lazy asses in technology.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

hgwells

• MVP
93%
05 Rank
Progress
hgwells
Accepted Solution
The PS3 slim 12GB is designed to be upgraded, and upgrading the HDD in any PS3 can be upgraded without voiding the warranty.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

chris052

60%
02 Rank
Progress
chris052
Accepted Solution

just put the drive in it works fine i did it while waiting to mod an old ps3 slim bracket.

the new 12gb ps3 is aimed at the movie buff who wants it more for streaming....

the xbox after all came in the 4gb variety and 250gb in its latest forms where the ps3 triples the 4gb and 250gb storage respectively.

Also you have to buy the official HDD's for the xbox or else you get banned offline, where the ps3 you can put ANY hdd of a certain speed in at ant ANY size.

in short you should have done your homework on what you were buying and asked on here. The community on ps3 is generally a friendly one and are helpful unlike the xbox community!

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gd05jdtkIM video for the 12gb upgrade here

The first step to replacing the hard disk is going to the store or visiting an online retailer to pick up a new hard disk. The PS3 is compatible with just about any 2.5-inch SATA notebook hard disk. Both 5400- and 7200-RPM drives should work fine. The physical size of the hard disk is important because it has to fit the PS3's 2.5-inch drive tray. As far as storage capacity goes, it doesn't make sense to go through the trouble of upgrading unless you go big!

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

K1LLMEBILL

80%
02 Rank
Progress
K1LLMEBILL
Accepted Solution

I find it pathetic that Sony released a 12 gb machine! 

Ok so its "released to be upgraded" but people that buy the cheapest machine tend not to upgrade as they are casual gamers... 

PATHETIC! 

Xbox 360 might only have 4gb in its base model, but you don't need to install games!

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Lee I PSN and Xbox Live: K1LLMEBILL I

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

chris052

60%
02 Rank
Progress
chris052
Accepted Solution

same can be said for the 4gb once youve downloaded all the updates to certain games you wouldnt have alot out of the 4gb left. e.g after updates and the system table being on there.

IMHO no console should come with less than 160gb storage.

As i said in a previous post if people were that bothered they'd reserch what they were buying, but as someone else said the price tag stands out more.

A good rule of thumb with any technology is the more storage space it has the better because its better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it!

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

theditchman

22%
02 Rank
Progress
theditchman
Accepted Solution

Here's something interesting

I bought my 12gb, because I had a old 40gb model with a dead laser that I thought I would rip the drive from, but I decided to buy a second hand 80gb hd for £20 (spent more than that on my first ps2 memory card)

after installing it asked me if I wanted to use the hd for storage? Yes I do, I check the the system information and the free space is 55gb out of 74gb, how is that possible? That's 19gb used up when I only had a 12gb to transfer from... and I don't even know how full it was!

also where has the flash memory gone? I haven't removed anything so I wonder why it's no longer accessible for backup etc.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

Kermit1970

• Award Winner
100%
16 Rank
Progress
Kermit1970
Accepted Solution
The PS3 reserves 10% of the hard drive for it's own use. So your 12GB drive was probably nearly full
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

foxsevent

92%
04 Rank
Progress
foxsevent
Accepted Solution

theditchman wrote:

Here's something interesting

I bought my 12gb, because I had a old 40gb model with a dead laser that I thought I would rip the drive from, but I decided to buy a second hand 80gb hd for £20 (spent more than that on my first ps2 memory card)

after installing it asked me if I wanted to use the hd for storage? Yes I do, I check the the system information and the free space is 55gb out of 74gb, how is that possible? That's 19gb used up when I only had a 12gb to transfer from... and I don't even know how full it was!

also where has the flash memory gone? I haven't removed anything so I wonder why it's no longer accessible for backup etc.

As everyone keeps saying if you did your homework you would know things, like.

You will never get the amount of space thats written on the HDD, like in your case a 80GB gives you 74GB of space and a 500GB gives 465GB, this is due to mathematics (like 1MB does not equal to 1000KB but 10024KB) and for the HDD own mechanics ToC and others, and as it was stated the PS3 reserves 10-15% of space for debugging and temporary files.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

strangeplaice

• MVP
95%
10 Rank
Progress
strangeplaice
Accepted Solution

The flash memory is deactivated when a HDD is inserted as it's no longer needed and would slow things down. The reason for the usage of the space is that the PS3 OS reserves it for partitioning and OS files. FAT32 uses a fair amount of space which is why most systems don't use it for larger than 32GB anymore.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

elcohonas

25%
02 Rank
Progress
elcohonas
Accepted Solution

not true, i bought the 12gb model as it was on offer at £130 then bought a 500gb drive and caddy so all in I got a 500gb ps3 for £180 bargain!!. most gamers are fully aware that modern games are memory heavy because that is what is needed to provide the level of detail and gameplay.

I think bringing out the 12gb model at the same time time as nintendo was launching the wii u was a masterstroke, the price point turned my attention away from the wii u meaning sony got my cash and i got a great console for half the price of a wii u prenium model, good business by sony.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

elcohonas

25%
02 Rank
Progress
elcohonas
Accepted Solution

my above post makes no sense as it was supposed to appear as a reply to the person saying a 12 gb model is pathetic.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

azchel

23%
02 Rank
Progress
azchel
Accepted Solution
I admit 12gb is a very small amount when it comes to a PS3, but imagine MY disgust after buying my kids their first Xbox 360 and it has a 4gb drive! I only bought it because I couldn't imagine them selling a system with such a hard drive unless Xbox game files were much smaller. Alas, no. We downloaded Minecraft and Trials Evolution and it was full. We could only fit ONE of the add-on packs for Trials. It also might not have been so bad if Xbox wasn't such an online/download based system. That said, I am not a total Xbox hater. I was impressed that we could just stick in a 8gb flash drive we had on hand to almost instantly triple our "drive" size. Unfortunately it seems you can only store media and game saves to a flash drive with a PS3. Overall, I can't deny that I am a PlayStation fan, and I don't see that changing! (For one thing, why do you need Xbox Live Gold to do so many things that are free on Playstation, Wii, etc.? For example: Netflix)
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

strangeplaice

• MVP
95%
10 Rank
Progress
strangeplaice
Accepted Solution

azchel wrote:
For one thing, why do you need Xbox Live Gold to do so many things that are free on Playstation, Wii, etc.? For example: Netflix

Answer: £££££££

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel