Support

PS3 Support

PS3 Support

22 Dec 2012
By: MikeBerry1962

2 Posts
Accepted Solution

PS3 Super Slim 12GB flash memory space used already?

[ Edited ]
30 Replies 73128 Views edited 22-12-2012

I bought a PS3 Super Slim to replace my ageing old standard (fat) PS3 a few days ago. I figured I should go with the cheapest 12gb model and use a 500gb hard drive in it that I have lying around (I've ordered the official bracket/caddy and I'm still waiting for it to arrive.).

In the meantime, I'm playing on the stock 12gb version and have found I've run out of the PS3's 12gb flash memory almost immediately! Is this normal? OK, so I have Journey installed, but that's only about 500mb. I have a few game saves from, NFS Most Wanted, Dirt 3, and GTA. I have no films or music installed, yet I've just tried to play Burnout Paradise, and I've received an error message telling me it can't install the required game updates (about 1.2gb) because there's not enough space left! What the hell is going on?!

Once I get my 500gb drive installed this won't be a problem, but I'm really curious as to where around 9gb or more of flash memory has disappeared to?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 31 (73,128 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Re: PS3 Super Slim 12GB flash memory space used already?

Have you checked the data stored in the game data utility?
Follow fi8767 on Twitter
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 31 (73,119 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

In order to install the larger files you need around double the amount of space you require to install the file. IE, if you want to install 1.9GB you need 3.8GB of free space.

This is because the compressed download file needs unpacked before installing, so for a brief instance, there will be two of the downloaded file on the drive before the compressed stuff is deleted. This might explain part of your storage issues.

Most of the space on your BluRay games has probably gone on the install files though. Check your Game Data Utility to check that :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 31 (73,083 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

[ Edited ]

As a xbox360 user moving over to PS3 today on Christmas day, I must say I am pretty disappointed. Everything has gone so well with the console, I have spent most of my morning playing GTA3. However when I just opened my version of Far Cry 3, I was shocked to find all my space has apparently beeunused up! - But this is a brand new console, literally unboxed only a few hours ago. 

I did install Netflix but that used hardly anything. I duly removed the GTA3 game files as suggested in this thread, but that took 6 minutes to complete! I have a very poor Internet connection, and from what I understand, each time you put a disk in with no game files, it downloads all of the updates from the Internet. This would cause me a great deal of problems. Had I have known there were larger sized play stations, I think I would have gone for it. But all of the online sites and shops were raving about this particular model as it was slimmer than the original version and had a flash based, faster memory. 

I also purchased USB flash drive as I was told this would boost storage. Yet I seem unable to save the large game files on this medium, which, given the lack of space would have come in very handy. 

Result, impressive console, but majorly lacking in game storage space. 

one worthless USB storage drive purchased which is not fit for boosting the space I need it to boost. 

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 31 (72,810 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Just to add to the frustrations of my earlier post....
After removing the GTA 3 game data which took 6 minutes, I then had to wait 10 minutes for Far Cry 3 to download and install the online update followed by waiting a further 17 minutes for the PS3 to extract the disk. So in summary it took me 33 minutes to switch between two games on the PS3 slim! Shocking!... And just when things were going so well with it.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 31 (72,786 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

[ Edited ]

You can install a hard drive to increase the storage capacity of the console, all you need is a PS3 mounting bracket and a 2.5" SATA hard drive :smileyhappy:

Also, installing game data does take a while but you should only need this once (unless you delete the data after to save space) and from then on the game should boot very fast!

You don't have to download patches/updates for games, you can reject them by pressing the circle button on the screen telling you about the update. Updating is reccomended though as it may fix issues and bugs that you may otherwise experience and you won't be able to play online without accepting the patch/update.

Follow fi8767 on Twitter
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 31 (72,772 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Thanks for your reply. I am just a little taken aback that in under 24 hours of use, the product is apparently full and I am now required to purchase an additional drive and get it installed? None of this was mentioned to me when I purchased the 4 games to go with it or the flash drive. I don't see the purpose in Sony creating a PlayStation which is only capable of playing two games at any one time.

I am presuming the hard drive switch you suggest will not void the warranty, seeing as my product is still under 24 hours old?

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 31 (72,725 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

The PS3 slim 12GB is designed to be upgraded, and upgrading the HDD in any PS3 can be upgraded without voiding the warranty.
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 31 (72,688 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

talksr wrote:

. I don't see the purpose in Sony creating a PlayStation which is only capable of playing two games at any one time.

It makes it cheap and people will always go for something cheap, even if lacking in capacity/features to a more expensive model.

Follow fi8767 on Twitter
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 31 (72,612 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

[ Edited ]

just put the drive in it works fine i did it while waiting to mod an old ps3 slim bracket.

the new 12gb ps3 is aimed at the movie buff who wants it more for streaming....

the xbox after all came in the 4gb variety and 250gb in its latest forms where the ps3 triples the 4gb and 250gb storage respectively.

Also you have to buy the official HDD's for the xbox or else you get banned offline, where the ps3 you can put ANY hdd of a certain speed in at ant ANY size.

in short you should have done your homework on what you were buying and asked on here. The community on ps3 is generally a friendly one and are helpful unlike the xbox community!

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gd05jdtkIM video for the 12gb upgrade here

The first step to replacing the hard disk is going to the store or visiting an online retailer to pick up a new hard disk. The PS3 is compatible with just about any 2.5-inch SATA notebook hard disk. Both 5400- and 7200-RPM drives should work fine. The physical size of the hard disk is important because it has to fit the PS3's 2.5-inch drive tray. As far as storage capacity goes, it doesn't make sense to go through the trouble of upgrading unless you go big!

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 31 (72,576 Views)
0 Kudos