By The_Ugly_Fugly

The_Ugly_Fugly

43%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

PS3 Won't Read Game Discs... But Will Read Movie Discs???

82 Replies 273,243 Views Created 26-01-2009
I haven't changed anything on my ps3, not even an update, other than installing Home. However none of my PS3 Game discs seem to be recognised by the PS3 anymore. The blue light under my green power light turns on and stays on (that activity light), and in the corner the water circle mark that comes up when the PS3 is busy, comes up for a few seconds then goes away. So I thought okay, maybe my PS3 Blu Ray Drive died, cause I've been hearing alot of those cases, but then I decided to put in my Blu Ray Movies in, and it works fine... So I'm guessing the drive is okay, but why can't it recognise my games... What to do?? >_<
0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

Zesder

94%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Zesder
Accepted Solution
I would suggest doing an update.
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 Won't Read Game Discs... But Will Read Movie Discs???

/16

The_Ugly_Fugly

43%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
The_Ugly_Fugly
Accepted Solution
It is on the latest version when I was experiencing the problem, however it seems to be working now after a format of hdd oddly enough~

/16

blondiibuk

41%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
blondiibuk
Accepted Solution
Run netflix then push the ps3 button and go to game,,i had that prob and this how it works for me...lol

/16
21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
kinggist_cookin-
Accepted Solution

I did that, and it worked, but when i turned it off, then turned it back on it didn't work again. i tried formatting again, but it didn't work:/

0 Kudos

/16
47%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Tommy-The-Tanker
blondiibuk
Accepted Solution

Thanks dude, Been pulling my hair out coz DVDs were fine.Hopefully that's it now.

0 Kudos

/16
47%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Tommy-The-Tanker
Accepted Solution

Did the Netflix trick and that worked. Why are PS1/2/3 so poorly built???????

0 Kudos

/16

machinegunmello

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
machinegunmello
Accepted Solution
what do you mean? what dd u do step by step please?
0 Kudos

/16

mrkillingheidi

85%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
mrkillingheidi
Accepted Solution

If you read the thread:

---------------------------------------------

I would suggest doing an update.

It is on the latest version when I was experiencing the problem, however it seems to be working now after a format of hdd oddly enough~ ....

We would like to suggest a few troubleshooting steps to see if we can resolve the matter for you.

1) Trying installing the latest system software update (which can be downloaded directly from the network or you can download the file from www.playstation.com.au

2) Trying restoring the default settings. (This can be found under system setting on the PlayStation 3 settings menu). Be aware that this WON'T remove the content from your HardDrive. Be sure that you selecting Restore Default Settings AND NOT Restore PS3 system.

3) The final suggestion would be to perform a soft reset. When the PlayStation 3 system is in stand by mode (the red stand by light). What we need you to do is hold your finger down on the power button consistently for two beeps instead of one beep. When the second beep is triggered, lift your finger from the power button & the main menu should come up.

If you still find the PlayStation 3 system is struggling with reading your games, we would recommend contacting the support team while you have your PlayStation 3 system set up so that we can discuss a solution with you.

If your console isn't reading an games and Blu-Ray movies then chances are the disc reading component has stopped working correctly and would require a repair at the local support centre.

Go to playstation network and look for entering safe mode there you can repair file structure and that fixed my PS3 when it did the same thing.

PLEASE READ THE "SAFE MODE" INSTRUCTIONS ON THE PS NETWORK SUPPORT SITE BEFORE DOING THIS...

have your controller wired to the PS3 when you start this.

1. turn off the system.

2. press and hold the on button do not let go you will hear 1 beep then a second beep then the system will shut off(red Light)

3.press and hold the on button do not let go you will hear 1 beep then a quick 2 beeps immediatly let go of the button.  in a few seconds a screen should appear saying to connect your controller to the system with the cord.  once you do and hit the PS button it should let you know you are in the safe mode.

from there you do the file system restore and it will restart and say it needs to fix the data DO NOT TURN YOUR SYSTEM OFF!!!! once it is done you should be fine. I was

PLEASE READ THE "SAFE MODE" INSTRUCTIONS ON THE PS NETWORK SUPPORT SITE BEFORE DOING THIS...

I was having the same problem (games not working, movies working) and the suggestion above fixed it.

Went to safe mode and restored file system.

You would have all the above information to use.

/16

BRABOY

96%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
BRABOY
Accepted Solution
I am having the same problem too! And my system is up to date, it plays dvds Blu-ray movies, but not the blu-ray games, so idk what the deal is. I also thought my blu laser burnt out and thats $150 to fix, but i have no idea what the heck it could be! I remember back when xbox and ps2 didnt give us any problems at all.
Message Edited by Diamondsarnt4eva on 01-10-2009 02:10 PM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

FluxZero

88%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
FluxZero
Accepted Solution

BRABOY wrote:
I am having the same problem too! And my system is up to date, it plays dvds Blu-ray movies, but not the blu-ray games, so idk what the deal is. I also thought my blu laser burnt out and thats $150 to fix, but i have no idea what the heck it could be! I remember back when xbox and ps2 didnt give us any problems at all.

Really what company in their right mind want a product to break down and their customer to have a bad experience??

Products are not built to break. They are built with a life in mind which is why products are cheaper to purchase now.

In the old day products would last much longer they also cost more to purchase. Half of the problem is consumer demand.

Everyone want it more powerful, cheaper and they want it yesterday. 

Message Edited by Diamondsarnt4eva on 01-10-2009 02:11 PM

[ Edited ]
/16

dabbman

31%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
dabbman
Accepted Solution
i'm have'n the same problum.........i have a 40g and a 60g but it is only happing on the 60g....dvd/bluray/ps2 games works fine but just wont read ps3 games......some will have audio others just freeze help someone please
Message Edited by dabbman on 30-03-2009 08:43 PM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

kushpuri91

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
kushpuri91
Accepted Solution

***** man im lucky im in india rite now and there is a shop where ill get my console in 2 days and its not at all expensive... its around $45... hahaha

0 Kudos

/16

Jack_Daniels08

92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Jack_Daniels08
Accepted Solution

kushpuri91 wrote:

***** man im lucky im in india rite now and there is a shop where ill get my console in 2 days and its not at all expensive... its around $45... hahaha

You'll also probably get overseas parts in which case, if anything is to happen in Australia, your console cannot be repaired by many people.

0 Kudos

''Only after disaster can we be resurrected.'' - Tyler Durden.
/16

Major_Problem1

23%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Major_Problem1
Accepted Solution
Cheers mate sorted my problem out. Thanks for the help
0 Kudos

/16

xanllan

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
xanllan
Accepted Solution

How did you get your Ps3 Console to read Ps2 Game Discs???

0 Kudos

MVP
/16

strangeplaice

• MVP
95%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
strangeplaice
Accepted Solution

xanllan wrote:

How did you get your Ps3 Console to read Ps2 Game Discs???

Nice thread necro & hijack :P ... Anyway, PS3 consoles will read PS2 game discs in the following scenarios;

• You own an original PS3 60GB model with PS2 hardware emulation support (it has a PS2 in it)
  • You own an 80GB PS3 original with PS2 software emulation
  • You're playing Singstar and you've pressed the disc switch button. It allows you to use old PS2 games on PS3.

.... and that's about it.

0 Kudos

/16

mini_yeti77

22%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
mini_yeti77
Accepted Solution
Really? Why would companies not want their products to break down? They get more money if people buy more, which they will have to do once their system breaks down...
0 Kudos

/16

makobeaver

94%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
makobeaver
Accepted Solution

No company wants their product to break down, when it comes down to a business PoV - YES they get more money via buying a new one or repairs.
However, having a reliable console means customer satisfaction and customer loyalty.

Customer satisfaction means more word of mouth, or friends coming around to friends houses - playing it and going "Well, I loved that...it was fun - I think i'll get one"

My brothers 60GB is still running from launch. Never had any problems *touch wood!*
And because of that, I can pretty much guarantee - if his console broke down, he'd without a doubt buy another - or get it repaired...or both. SIMPLY from customer satisfaction which lead to customer loyalty :)

All that being said:  If your console is not reading discs, I'd suggest update to latest system software, try doing a reformat, and if it doesn't work - you'd probably have to give your local Playstation Support Centre a call.

Their numbers can be found on the back of ANY game manual

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Always accept friend requests! And game invites!
/16

darkmanolo201

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
darkmanolo201
Accepted Solution

u must b out of ur maind one they all ways cost too mush n too they never broke ass mush n am having that same stupid problem n my friend keep telling me that i need to get a new blue ray thing this is not cool n on top off all am not the only one that say it happend after a stupid up date on the call of duty i woud like to no if is there fult this is hapening some one help b4 i go cry z lol

0 Kudos

/16

dikywebb

45%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
dikywebb
Accepted Solution
ive had enough of this problem now happened on my 120g with black ops now on my 320 with black ops 2 none of the tips on here worked and its a common problem maybe its time for the ombudsman services to get involved people are getting ripped of

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel