46%
02 Rank
Progress

PS3 freezes at menu after startup

39 Replies 31,846 Views Created 27-10-2012
27 Oct 2012
By FreezesAtStartup

Hello.

My ps 3 started to freeze few seconds after main menu appears. The only way to get rid of it is to switch ps3 off (hold power button until beeps). I tried #3 and #4 at debug menu, format & restore - and nothing helps. Any suggestions how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

console: PS3 slim 320 GB, 5 months in use

firmware: 4.25 and 4.30 (freezes on both).

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Jimmy-Stocks

45%
02 Rank
Progress
Jimmy-Stocks
Accepted Solution

Same issue.......

I am so sick of sony and there poor excuses..... no doubt this will be my (the customers fault) for some reason.

Pethetic.

Extremely ***** Off!!!!

0 Kudos

Re: PS3 freezes at menu after startup

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

fi8767

96%
09 Rank
Progress
fi8767
Accepted Solution
I would suggest changing the hard drive.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

jaen_jnd13

21%
02 Rank
Progress
jaen_jnd13
Accepted Solution

Had this problem 3 days ago. I tried replacing to a new hard drive since I was also suspecting a drive problem.  But even w/ a new hard drive, the PS3 still freezes at start up.  Did everything in recovery as well.  Hope you could help us. Thanks!

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Perfectdarke

28%
02 Rank
Progress
Perfectdarke
Accepted Solution

Having exactly the same problem!

Tried everything except the replacing the drive. I'm so dispointed an update (4.30) could break my system :(

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

steeveo455

30%
02 Rank
Progress
steeveo455
Accepted Solution

its apprently sony, they have f****ed up once again, the update somehow manages to crash certain systems, others work fine, ive read somewhere, sorr i cant proide the link i forgot it, but they are doing another update soon, but i have noidea when.

This problem is ahppeing with me, mines a 80GB old ps3 and my brother also has the 500GB slim version and its newly bought so the eror is not ours it must be to do with sony!

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Jimmy-Stocks

45%
02 Rank
Progress
Jimmy-Stocks
Accepted Solution
Not sur eif this helps... but here goes:

I have had this issue too , where my ps3 freezes on the xmb, I had a 60gb Fat and 320gb Slim and it happened on both.

I luckily got a swap out as i have continuous play, so thought at least one was ok. BUT BUT BUT..... the brand new one was fine at first and after downloading updates was fine, but after a restart,,,, epic fail..... it also started freezing I tried the rewipe and start again, Database rebuilding, etc and after 4 days a basicly messing about with it i believe i have the answer!

So here it is:

I connected my ps3 up to wifi, as part of logging into the wifi i use, it needs to login (BT FON). to do this i have to start the Internet Browser and login before i get online. Thsi is great and works and i can play games online.... HOWEVER after a restart, i believe the PS3 retries to connect online, and because it cant access the internet and is blocked because i havent even had chance to login yet, it freezes!

I believe this is the issue, as soon as do the double beep method and reset the settings (option2), and reset it up so there no network settings, it works fine, and doesnt freeze.

so try it guys,, it works for me. option 2 and then try, and then connect to the net again, restart and see if it freezes.???

SONY FIX THIS NOW !!!!

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16
46%
02 Rank
Progress
FreezesAtStartup
Accepted Solution

Thanks for your advice. I brought my ps3 to guarantee service, so I cant check it out right now.

All I can say: simple autoconnection disable in Network Options didnt work for me. Ps3 was still freezing even without need to connect to router.

I'll definitely try your method, if guarantee service won't fix my issue.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Kinderellazero

69%
02 Rank
Progress
Kinderellazero
Accepted Solution

Having the same problem too... 

GO SONY! 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

SuperFastZombie

• Beta Tester
92%
04 Rank
Progress
SuperFastZombie
Accepted Solution

Hi guys,

If your having freezing issue that are not fixed by going through the Safe Mode options then there may be a fault with your console.

In this case you should contact PlayStation Support for further assistance.

SFZ

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

lfcred84

23%
02 Rank
Progress
lfcred84
Accepted Solution

The same thing that happened to Jimmy Stocks happened to me. I wanted to update the software so I connected to the internet via BTFON and had to open the internet bowser to log on before I could use the internet. After the update finished and the box restarted it froze immediately after the menu loaded. This happened everytime I turned the PS3 on so it was unusable.

After reading Jimmy Stocks' comment I restored the system to default settings solved the problem. Thanks Jimmy.

It seems the problem is with the PS3 unsuccesfully trying to connect to the internet at startup as the username and password for BTFON hadn't been entered via the browser..

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

InFX

22%
02 Rank
Progress
InFX
Accepted Solution

How do you do the reset? I think this has happened to me, I have to join the cloud for my internet and have to connect by launching the browser. I updated to latest software and since then its not working. I can scroll across fast enough to the network settings to turn the connection off before it freezes? Any ideas?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

existenz1

94%
05 Rank
Progress
existenz1
Accepted Solution

Jimmy-Stocks wrote:

I have had this issue too , where my ps3 freezes on the xmb, I had a 60gb Fat and 320gb Slim and it happened on both.

I luckily got a swap out as i have continuous play, so thought at least one was ok. BUT BUT BUT..... the brand new one was fine at first and after downloading updates was fine, but after a restart,,,, epic fail..... it also started freezing I tried the rewipe and start again, Database rebuilding, etc and after 4 days a basicly messing about with it i believe i have the answer!

So here it is:

I connected my ps3 up to wifi, as part of logging into the wifi i use, it needs to login (BT FON). to do this i have to start the Internet Browser and login before i get online. Thsi is great and works and i can play games online.... HOWEVER after a restart, i believe the PS3 retries to connect online, and because it cant access the internet and is blocked because i havent even had chance to login yet, it freezes!

I believe this is the issue, as soon as do the double beep method and reset the settings (option2), and reset it up so there no network settings, it works fine, and doesnt freeze.

so try it guys,, it works for me. option 2 and then try, and then connect to the net again, restart and see if it freezes.???

SONY FIX THIS NOW !!!!

I WOULD LIKE TO THANK YOU SIR. I just moved house and while waiting for BT to enable my broadband I connected using BT WIFI hotspot. PS3 worked fine until I restarted then it locks up trying to log in...

And you have to force power off causing it to go through a disk rebuild - rinse and rebuild

MODS PLEASE CAN YOU REPORT THIS TO SONY - PS3 crashes after reboot when you need to login to a hotspot..

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

mont348

• MVP
96%
13 Rank
Progress
mont348
Accepted Solution

existenz1 wrote:

Jimmy-Stocks wrote:

So here it is:

SONY FIX THIS NOW !!!!

I WOULD LIKE TO THANK YOU SIR. I just moved house and while waiting for BT to enable my broadband I connected using BT WIFI hotspot. PS3 worked fine until I restarted then it locks up trying to log in...

And you have to force power off causing it to go through a disk rebuild - rinse and rebuild

MODS PLEASE CAN YOU REPORT THIS TO SONY - PS3 crashes after reboot when you need to login to a hotspot..

The PS3/PSN is designed to run via a broadband connection, attempting to connect via hotspots or mobile internet tether just isn't good enough, it can an most likely will give you problems. 

The best way is a wired connection via ethernet cable or homeplugs, if you have to use Wifi make sure it's over a home network with a strong signal, anything below 90% to 100% signal strength isn't much use.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

bluemonkey77

30%
02 Rank
Progress
bluemonkey77
Accepted Solution

With respect that is total BS.

I used my PS3 today on a Cable Broadband connected through Ethernet and was able to use the Console without any problems.

When I bring it Home, I choose the Wifi Hotspot (which is 7 feet below me in my brothers room, same house) and go to the Browser to login, the whole system crashes in the way others have described.

However if I use the Wifi network with PSK there are no problems. Also This worked before for months no problems on the Hotspot.

The same thing happened last night. It was stuck in a Restore loop and I thought I would have to fix it. 

Like I said above, the system is fine, the connection is fine. The problem is that where you must login to your Wifi over an unsecured network through a browser (which is common) THEN YOU HAVE PROBLEMS!

This needs fixing! Never was a problem before last two updates!

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

bluemonkey77

30%
02 Rank
Progress
bluemonkey77
Accepted Solution

I think i found a workaround.

After getting your PS3 back working through restore / Before trying to login to the Wifi Hotspot in the first place. Go to the Sign in Icon and make sure that automatic sign in the PSN is unchecked (OFF)

I find that if I stop the PSN from trying to login, I can get into the browser and login to my WIFI account. After that I can login to PSN fine.

I think the problem is PSN twists itself up in knots when it thinks the connection should work and does not, causing the crash. whatever the cause, it should be fixed.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

novum-bene

21%
02 Rank
Progress
novum-bene
Accepted Solution

This exact same problem happened to me, it was to do with me connecting to btWifi-with-Fon. Option 2 and cancelling that internet connection data sorted it out. Good theory!

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

mont348

• MVP
96%
13 Rank
Progress
mont348
Accepted Solution

novum-bene wrote:

This exact same problem happened to me, it was to do with me connecting to btWifi-with-Fon. Option 2 and cancelling that internet connection data sorted it out. Good theory!

End of the day the PS3 is designed to be used over a home broadband connection via a modem/router you have control over, which rules out hotspots and mobile internet. 

I have access to the BT free wireless hotspots but wouldn't dream of connecting a PS3 to one, they're designed for mobile devices while your out and about, I think a lot of people expect they can freeload of parents, relatives or friends BT accounts wireless hotspot privileges which BT are probably throttling for PS3 use.  

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

B717driver

22%
02 Rank
Progress
B717driver
Accepted Solution
Restore default settings (option 2) worked like a charm man. Thanks!!!! I had tried restore files and restore database with no luck. I was about to do a complete wipe when I ran across your post.
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

KitsuneFoxy

73%
02 Rank
Progress
KitsuneFoxy
Accepted Solution

My 4.40 works no issue and i've an 80gb Cechl03

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Jam-Devine

42%
02 Rank
Progress
Jam-Devine
Accepted Solution

Same is happening with mine. it happend a few weeks agi and i got so fed up i stopped playing for a bit untill they released a download patch for it. It seemd to be working until today when i switched on my PS3 and BOOM! The problems start all over again!

The only way i can get over it is by doing a full restore which is so annoying because it takes about 10 minutes to set everything up again and re download online passes etc and you loose all of your offline data!!

as my ps3 is only about 4/5 months old do you think its possible for me to take it back to Gamestation and swap it for a new console????

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel