14 Apr 2012
By ImDaRAD
Playstation Staff
Accepted Solution

PS3 not working

13 Replies 1,430 Views Created 14-04-2012

My PS3 slim 320gb started running slow and then very slow so i turned it off then back on and still very slow, then i turned it off for about 12 hours then tried to turn it on and the green light goes on but nothing happens, i try to turn it off and it double beeps, so i turn it off by holding it for the power button for 10-15 seconds (not sure how long) and it turns off, i try turning it on a couple of times and does the same thing so then i try the recovery mode or whatever its called with the options like restore default settings and rebuild database and none of them work.

The PS3 is about 4-5 months out of its 12 month warranty. I was playing black ops online at the time. I just got my 3D tv a month or two ago and it my only 3d player. Its not to do with the tv i have tried on two different tvs with different hdmi cables and different power points. It has always been looked after very well. Never hacked or modded or anything like that. Thats all i can think of for now.

Is there anything i can do to get it fixed that wont cost too much. Please help.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14 (1,430 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 not working

Did you try the system restore in safe mode?
Follow fi8767 on Twitter
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14 (1,427 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

yes
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14 (1,422 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

Have you tried changing the hard drive?
Follow fi8767 on Twitter
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14 (1,420 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

no i want to see if there is any other way first.
how much would that cost and would i be able to do that myself or would i give it to someone else?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14 (1,418 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

it had an error when i was trying something in safe mode that was something like this i think.... serious error 8002f281
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14 (1,411 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

so is there no way to fix it besides changing the hard drive
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14 (1,370 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

The remote will not be recognized unless in safe mode and plugged in. Thought that might be important.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14 (1,362 Views)
0 Kudos
Playstation Staff

Hello ImDaRAD,

Welcome to the Forums.

The error code 8002f281 you are getting indicates that there is an issue with the PlayStations HDD.

You may find the following troubleshooting helpful.

Restore File System

Enter Safe Mode and select "Restore File System". "Restore File System" will attempt to repair damaged files on the hard drive. If this does not work, try the next step.

Rebuild Database

Enter Safe Mode and select "Rebuild Data Base". "Rebuild Data Base" will erase messages, playlists, changes made on [Information] screens, trimming information for pictures in [Photo], video thumbnails, video playback history and video resume information. Then attempt to rebuild the PlayStation 3 database. The content that is erased will not be recoverable. If this doesn't work, try the next step.

Restore PS3 System

Please note this will erase all content on the hard drive and will not be recoverable.

Enter Safe Mode and select "Restore PS3 System". "Restore PS3 System" will restore the default settings and will format the hard drive. If this doesn't work, try the next step.

Re-seat the hard drive

If you have replaced the hard drive in the PlayStation 3, make sure it was installed properly. If the hard drive is not seated correctly, it may cause problems.

Try another hard drive (if possible)

There may be an issue with the hard drive that is installed. Try replacing the hard drive with another one.   

If the above steps dont resolve the issue you can contact PlayStation Support for further assistance.

SFZ

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14 (1,359 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Now it decides that it doesn't want to even start in safe mode and comes up with a message saying
'Cannot Start.
The correct hard disk was not found'

so i guess i will just have to pull out the hard drive and put it back like you suggested.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14 (1,346 Views)
0 Kudos