16 Jun 2012
By: JoaoPT Beta Tester 9,662 Posts
Level 3

PS3 slim + 3 beeps

8 Replies 3,992 Views Created 16-06-2012

Hi all

I have a PS3 slim, which I bought after had an YLOD on my fat one.

Now the slim is doing what my PS3 fat used to do. Last week it shut it down 3 times with the three beeps, just a few minutes after I turn it on. What is weird is that I can spend one afternoon playing without problems, but the next day when I turn it on "beep beep beep". Over heating doesn't seem to be the problem, because when I turn it on again it plays normally, any idea on what should I do?

Try to replace thermal compound inside it?

Format disk?

I already cleaned air entrances, it isn't in warranty anymore (unfortunately).

All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near. Hold out baits to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and crush him.

Sun-Tzu - The Art of War

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9 (3,992 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Re: PS3 slim + 3 beeps

Is it in a well-ventilated area with lots of air able to get to it?
Follow fi8767 on Twitter
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9 (3,981 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

fi8767 escreveu:
Is it in a well-ventilated area with lots of air able to get to it?

Yes, it's in my room under the TV, nothing near it, not enclosed on anything, lot's of free air around.

All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near. Hold out baits to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and crush him.

Sun-Tzu - The Art of War

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9 (3,976 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

JoaoPT wrote:

Hi all

I have a PS3 slim, which I bought after had an YLOD on my fat one.

Now the slim is doing what my PS3 fat used to do. Last week it shut it down 3 times with the three beeps, just a few minutes after I turn it on. What is weird is that I can spend one afternoon playing without problems, but the next day when I turn it on "beep beep beep". Over heating doesn't seem to be the problem, because when I turn it on again it plays normally, any idea on what should I do?

Try to replace thermal compound inside it?

Format disk?

I already cleaned air entrances, it isn't in warranty anymore (unfortunately).

It does sound like an issue has developed on an internal component (albeit intermittantly).

You might perhaps want to try a different HDD in there to check the issue isn't with that? If the console was overheating you would usually get a message advising of this before the console powered off.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9 (3,970 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

RabidWalker escreveu:

It does sound like an issue has developed on an internal component (albeit intermittantly).

You might perhaps want to try a different HDD in there to check the issue isn't with that? If the console was overheating you would usually get a message advising of this before the console powered off.

That's my idea too, not overheating... I'll try to replace HDD as you suggest, and see if it still remains, thanks...

Sun-Tzu - The Art of War

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9 (3,946 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Bizarrely, I had this sort of problem (Although it may have been a little different) and it transpired that the temperature of the room combined with dust and poor ventilation was causing the system to switch off.

If the console currently lives under the TV with a Sky box or other heat producing device near it (even if you think its fine), try moving it to the side away from the enclosed space and see if that improves things.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9 (3,933 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Just replaced the hard drive of the console with the one from my fat (dead) model, got the 3 bips even before it would install the firmware. So problem isn't HDD unfortunatelly :smileysad:

Anyway it is well ventilated, I even moved it to the side a bit, I can hear the fan working (seems to be normal), just did some cleaning by blowing to the inside (maybe some dust got trapped in a very nasty place (crosses fingers). If not I'm considering using a compressor to blow air through the vents. Last resort will be open it up and see what the hell is going on on its insides...

I really didn't wanted to buy a new console (again), nor contact the (unhelpful) PS3 helpline and pay for deliveruing me a refurbished PS3 in a few months (waiting time in portugal is that bad).

Sun-Tzu - The Art of War

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9 (3,920 Views)
0 Kudos

hey mate,

I am facing the same problem with my PS3. were you able to find a solution for it? 

I've tried putting my ps3 in the refrigerator for 10-12 mins horizontly and 90% of the times it boots properly and works. I think the problem might be with the PSU or may be the temprature sensor. I am planning to open my ps3 n clean it up..

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9 (3,672 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

No, I just bought a new console. :smileysad:

Sun-Tzu - The Art of War

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9 (3,663 Views)
0 Kudos