Level 1

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 slim + LG RZ32LZ50 tv - HDMI = Black screen

' have tried and tried for days to get the thing to display through the dvi port but have had no luck. I have tried the 5 second turn on trick and such but this has not worked.'

Yeah, about 30 times :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 29 (1,762 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

ok cool

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 29 (1,759 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

My PS3 runs through a HDMI to DVI cable my old Philips TV has no HDMI ports either, i have my ps3 set to HDMI output and have everything set to automatic i have to set the TV to PC Input rarther than the HD Input, u will need a HDMI cable Direct to DVI without the adapter it should work fine.

(PS. Hope you know DVI does not carry Audio. For audio you will have to do what i do, use the standard scart in the ps3, set your audio output to scart and plug your scart audio pins (Red and White) into some sort of external audio device i,e home entertainment system, external speaker etc)

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 29 (1,750 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Thanks paradox. The cable is in the post and hopefully will work,  but if not then I will probably have to get a pricey cable or a new monitor/tv :smileysad:

Yeah I understand DVI doesn't carry sound, I have a seperate sound system I use for recording/listening to music and for laptop use so it's no problem. Thanks for the tip.
Hopefully the cable will have arrived when i get home, then it will be the moment of truth (again)

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 29 (1,738 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

weyu hopefully it should work like that as long as you remember to set your audio up right for the scart output your fine i mean my cable was off ebay for £5.99 (a think, was a while ago) and its a HDMI direct to DVI so its most likely the adaptor you where using which was causing problems i tried to use a DVI spiltter to run my PS3 and Xbox on one input it would pick up the xbox fine but not the PS3 i dont think TV's like them little adaptor things i think there more for projectors than anything else.

let us know how you get on when the cable gets here :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 29 (1,732 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Just to let you know.. This has not been solved and not sure why it has been marked as it.
So the cable came in the post today, looks different to the adapter and looks more like it fits my TV slot.

So i plug it in alongside the a/v cable and it does not auto detect the hdmi. I go to settings display and change to hdmi. Switch to 'PC' (which is the DVI slot on the tv) and i get black screen again, very faint lines that flicker. I try the 5 second power on trick with just the HDMI cable plugged in and nothing still. Jesus, what is with PS3's and my house?

So i try the cable going from my laptop. It works fine.. Come on what the hell. Has anybody else used a PS3 with this TV? looks like i may have to cancel buying an electric double bass next month and fork out £300 for a new tv... Sucky? 

Edit:
I have noticed while using this cable through my laptop, the TV does not want to go to its full capable resolution (1360 x 768) and flickers slowly several times before reverting to 1280 x 768. I have found this happens with some HDMI cables lying around in my house, but others not. This isn't a huge problem but it's worth pointing out. The TV works fine while in 1280 x 720 also but is just letterboxed a bit, as PS3s seem to only be capable of 720i/p/1080i/p... Again though this is through my LAPTOP and i still can't get anything out of this PS3 into this TV, going insane!

Edit2:
So i unplug the PS3 and plug it into a seperate power source, still a black screen but this time it autodetects that HDMI is there on startup and lets me choose. Dount this is useful and kind of doubting anybody knows what to try next... 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 29 (1,695 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Sorry have to double post as it wont let me edit again. Here is a video incase nobody understands:
LG RZ32LZ50 1

LG RZ32LZ50 2

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 29 (1,680 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

CymruBeat wrote:

Sorry have to double post as it wont let me edit again. Here is a video incase nobody understands:
LG RZ32LZ50 1

LG RZ32LZ50 2

Hi mate,just watched the video.

Does you TV actually support 1080i (not p) over ther Pc input (DVI)?

Because, when i first select select HDMI settings it tries to force me to use 1080i (over hdmi).And i'm wondering if this is why your getting the black screen.

I'm guessing the TV doesnt support 1080i via the PC slot.

EDIT - Sorry mate ,just noticed  i your 1st post that you tried setting it  to 720p on a freinds TV.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 29 (1,674 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Hi, cheers for the response.

No i don't think it does. It goes up to 1360x768 which i believe is just above 720p.

I have gone to a friends house, set up, played for a bit, then before shutting down I unticked 1080p and 1080i options on HDMI.

When I plugged back into the LG at home, black screen. This was with the previous adapter though, and it may be worth a shot again, but this time untick 720p too... ***** this is annoying  :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 29 (1,669 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

CymruBeat wrote:

Hi, cheers for the response.

No i don't think it does. It goes up to 1360x768 which i believe is just above 720p.

I have gone to a friends house, set up, played for a bit, then before shutting down I unticked 1080p and 1080i options on HDMI.

When I plugged back into the LG at home, black screen. This was with the previous adapter though, and it may be worth a shot again, but this time untick 720p too... ***** this is annoying  :smileytongue:

1366 x 768 is the res of my TV also - And it supports 1080i..Although 1080i isnt really recommended for games.1080i i sort of a fake 1080p,where it uses interlaced signals to quickly flicker betwwen frames to give the illusion of 1080p.

Also your TV clearly supports 720p (1280x720) - Because your laptop outputs at this resolution.

1280x720 IS 720p .

i didnt read your original post correctly (sorry) - But like you said,its worth another shot.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 29 (1,666 Views)
0 Kudos