Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Accepted Solution

PS3 slim with HDMI = Black screen

[ Edited ]
28 Replies 3,923 Views edited 14-02-2012

Hi there, I know you are probably thinking - oh god not another one..

I recently bought a PS3 slim and a HDMI to DVI adapter for use on my LG RZ32LZ50 tv (has no HDMI ports, but the DVI port is HDCP compliant. This HDMI to DVI port works fine when using my laptops HDMI out, so I know it is not the adapter..

I have tried and tried for days to get the thing to display through the dvi port but have had no luck. I have tried the 5 second turn on trick and such but this has not worked. I have also tried unplugging tv and ps3 etc as a handshaking issue but still no luck.

I have also tried 3 different hdmi cables, and I know it is not a faulty port as I have tried it on a friends tv as well - worked perfectly without even changing settings. I also unchecked the 1080p, 1080i, and 720p boxes while on my friends tv and tried again when i got back, still no luck!

This is hell, SCART on a 32" is making me feel dizzy and sick and it is just unplayable. If anybody knows of a possible solution apart from scrapping this great tv I would be very grateful..

It is a PS3 slim 250gb with the latest firmware (4.1 i think) .Thanks

Edit:
Here is one of the cables I have tried:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005OS4NHE

Here is the adapter i'm using:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000GE9XRQ

And of course the TV:
http://www.recommendedbuys.co.uk/electronics/lcd-televisions/lg-rz-32lz50.htm 

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

Paradox-1701

68%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Paradox-1701
Accepted Solution

My PS3 runs through a HDMI to DVI cable my old Philips TV has no HDMI ports either, i have my ps3 set to HDMI output and have everything set to automatic i have to set the TV to PC Input rarther than the HD Input, u will need a HDMI cable Direct to DVI without the adapter it should work fine.

(PS. Hope you know DVI does not carry Audio. For audio you will have to do what i do, use the standard scart in the ps3, set your audio output to scart and plug your scart audio pins (Red and White) into some sort of external audio device i,e home entertainment system, external speaker etc)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Re: PS3 slim + LG RZ32LZ50 tv - HDMI = Black screen

/16

xx_Tooms109_xx

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
xx_Tooms109_xx
Accepted Solution

CymruBeat wrote:
 I have just had terrible luck with TVs in this household and PS3s.
It is really bugging me.

I know the feeling mate - I had a SAMSUNG TV .It had serious display issues with the ps3 over HDMI (weird pixel breakup).

Samsung were aware of it - They told me to contact SONY as it was their problem.Contacted SONY and they blamed SAMSUNG.:Stupid:

Thankfully the shop replaced it for a different model.

I'm really puzzled by your problem though - It clearly supports 720p via your laptop.I dont understand why it not displaying an image.

Hope you find a fix.:smileywink:

0 Kudos

/16

CymruBeat

51%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
CymruBeat
Accepted Solution
Yeah, well when I plug it into the Samsung it displays that it is outputting 720x 576 on a black screen, so that means it is 576p or something, which is the only box left if you untick all the others when changing ps3 settings for HDMI (i think, don't remember though) and then when plugged back into the LG it is also a black screen. Seriously contemplating ordering a new 40" and just wall mounting it... Thinking it may be a problem to do with the power supply in the house too haha but that's a bit far out..
Yeah contacting them probably wont help, it will just be a big phone bill and ping ponging between companies. I would sell the LG but it's really old and can't find it in stores online anywhere.
If it's any help, when i plugged the BT vision box via HDMI-DVI into the LG, it said 'HDMI signal unable to display through this TV' or something along those lines - but tbh it doesn't work on the samsung either and gives the error 'hdcp authentication failed' which is unusal as it's a HD ready tv with 3 HDMI ports. Laptop works through it fine though, GRRR. Sorry if i'm just blurting out random information but if anyone else can help that would be great :)
0 Kudos

/16

CymruBeat

51%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
CymruBeat
Accepted Solution
Another little update - Tried 'Restore Default Settings' and still not working. Again, sorry for double posts but it wont let me edit after a certain time - also sorry if I sound moody :P
0 Kudos

/16

Berzerker793

92%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Berzerker793
Accepted Solution

Mmmm, not sure if this is gonna be "good news" or "bad news"

I had some free time and after reading your thread I did a little digging and unfortunately fouhd no real answer BUT....I did find this...

http://www.fixya.com/support/t1014378-compatibility_ps3_lg_rz32lz50_tv

It seems it is possible for the hdmi to dvi to work on your TV because someone else has managed to do it. 

Of course, unfortunately, still no real use to you other than seemingly harrowing down the problem to the settings of either your PS3 or your TV......but it can work.

Sorry to be of so little use, hope you figure it out 

0 Kudos

/16

CymruBeat

51%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
CymruBeat
Accepted Solution
Thanks for the help and researching for me. I suppose it is a bridge between the two. It's good to know that this TV model can display a PS3 through HDMI but also kind of bad because my one won't.
I will have a go with a friends tv over the weekend and change some settings around, but for now I have ordered a composite cable (Useful for me anyway as I can use it on le PS2).
The only problem with that is the LG can only display 576i through composite and not 1080i due to it being so old. So it will only look a little better than SCART. Anyway, thanks for the help - tis appreciated
0 Kudos

/16

CymruBeat

51%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
CymruBeat
Accepted Solution
All right. It's useless. I went to a friends house to try it out and worked straight away again on his TV, full 1080p goodness. Unchecked all 1080p, 1080i, and 720p before i left so HDMI options only left 576i, plug it back into the LG and nothing. Balls!
So am going to end up getting eiher this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-UE32D5000-32-inch-Widescreen-Freeview/dp/B004S5ZWJM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_n...
or the HD ready version which is a bit cheaper..

Unless anybody can offer some advice? :P
0 Kudos

/16

gsk1n

26%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
gsk1n
Accepted Solution

When you turn on the ps3 hold down the on button until you here two beeps. This puts it into HDMI mode. Do the same with A/V cables plugged into to return it to A/V mode

0 Kudos

Re: PS3 slim with HDMI = Black screen

/16

CymruBeat

51%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
CymruBeat
Accepted Solution
As stated in the first post I have tried this many times already, and is still not working. I take back the last post, expensive tv!
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5299366/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+entertainment+...
Anyone know if the above is HDCP compliant?
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 slim with HDMI = Black screen

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel