29 Dec 2012
By: gingerunited

1 Posts
Accepted Solution

PS3 super slim high pitch noise?

[ Edited ]
10 Replies 2,229 Views edited 05-01-2013

whenever im playing my ps3 a irritating high pitched noise is made, its brand new and today is the 1st time ive played it , any help on this issue 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11 (2,229 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Re: PS3 super slim high pitch noise

Could you elaborate on the noise? Is it when the console is plugged in? Or only when playing a game? Or only once a disk is inserted?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11 (2,180 Views)
0 Kudos

Mine does it too, only about 10 mins to a hour after playing a disc based game. It comes from the disc drive, its retty much a very high pitched squeal. Kind of like those old ringtones that "older people" werent supposed to be able to hear. Or maybe the sound the older box tv's made when they turned on, But it'll give me a killer headache after about 30 mins. I emailed sony asking about a replacement, I dont want to pay the 50 dollar fee to get a new console when they messed up.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11 (2,138 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

If your console is faulty and in warranty a replacement is usually free. Are you sure it's the disc drive? Those sort of noises tend to come from transformers and power bricks.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11 (2,132 Views)
0 Kudos

I'm having the same issue. I don't think it's to do with disks as I have no disk in currently and it's making the noise. For me it happens constantly after the systems been in use for a few minutes. I just went and got it exchanged with a new console and it's making the same noise. I'm guessing either I'm just really unlucky or it's a design flaw with the super slim. If that's the case, I'm surprised there aren't more people complaining about this. None of the Sony people I talked to had heard this complaint nor had anyone at the store I bought it.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11 (2,118 Views)
0 Kudos

I haven't seen a lot of reports on this. Maybe one or 2 users. Are you able to post a short video of this noise?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11 (2,094 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

You may have better luck by placing a microphone next to the noise and using a sound recorder, as the mic in a video camera may not be able to handle the frequency of the noise.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11 (2,088 Views)
0 Kudos

Here's a link to a short video I took of the sound.  The mic on the camera didn't pick it up too well, but you can definitely hear the tone.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoP8lYUtyJM

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11 (2,072 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Sorry mate, I can't hear anything. Sounds fine to me.

It's almost certainly the transformer and should eventually.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11 (2,042 Views)
0 Kudos

Do you actually not hear the high pitched noise? Or are you saying that you hear it but that the sound is normal. If you actually don't hear it, I would probably recommend getting your hearing tested. Not trying to be a jerk, just saying that there is a clearly audible sound at around 7-800 hertz and if you can't hear it, it probably means you have some hearing loss at that frequency range.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11 (2,035 Views)
0 Kudos