06 Feb 2014
By oja555
Playstation Staff

Patch 4.55 install loop problems - bricked PS3

[ Edited ]
45 Replies 12,817 Views edited 06-02-2014

Turned my Playstation on this morning, received the system update message when ps attempts to sign in to say new update 4.55 available.

After 3 failed downloads (I figured that your servers were busy with everyone trying to get online) it completes and then proceeds to install.  At around 23% it then crashed and gave me a message telling me to reboot the system within 60 seconds to restart the update.  On doing this it attempts again to install the downloaded patch to no avail.  An error message was displayed (8002F165) and it suggested the following:

"Press the power button on the front of this system until the system beeps.  Next, unplug the AC power cord from the electrical outlet.  After a few minutes, restart the system.  The update will resume automatically when the system is restarted.

If the update fails again, write down the error code '8002F165' and then contact technical support for assistance"

Same thing happened on following instructions and rebooting, the system automatically begins trying to install the update again before getting so far and displaying the same error message as above.

Phoned tech support who advised while the system is on, hold the power button till 1 blip, then after another 2 blips to let go.  Did this and then was instructed to turn it back on.  From here I am now stuck with a much smaller resolution display, but still the same problem with the update install looping.  The advisor Antoinette (Case Ref 4008941) said that this was due to corrupted data and there is no fix besides purchasing a refurb or new system.

Please can you look further into this as I would hope there is some other simple way to escape the loop and re-download besides losing all my saved game data.

Edit: Also received another error with a similar message 8002F19A if this helps.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 46 (12,817 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Re: Patch 4.55 install loop problems - bricked PS3

This is basicall a self help forum, with users helping others where they can. There is no access to the PlayStation suport system.
From what you describe, you have been directed to change your screen resoloution, which is not a lot of use in this case.

If you search YouTube for 'ps3 safe mode', you will find how to do what the agent was trying to tell you to do.

After, that you will need a fat32 formatted usb devi:e. Create a folder PS3/UPDATE on it, and download the firmware from www.uk.playstation.com.
Boot the console into safe mode, and choose the update firmware option.

Big note, the firmware update does not usually appear on the website until mid-afternoon of the day it is updated (UK time)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 46 (12,803 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 46 (12,802 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Cannot enter the safe mode as no matter how the PS3 is started, the only screen showing reads:

"The previous install operation was canceled.  The system is attempting to install again.

Do not turn off the system.  After the install operation has completed, the system will automatically restart". (Then proceeds to crash at 23% displaying the error from my previous post)

I have only followed the on screen instructions, the console never powered down during the download operation.  At first it failed downloading several times, system remained on so I kept retrying the download after each time it failed. After this it restarted and and proceeded to attempt to install the downloaded patch and this is where the problem remains.

Is there no alternative way to cancel the install and have it re-download and apply the patch?

Edit: Came across a short article relating to a previous patch 4.45 which was temporarily withdrawn, may be a similar issue, and was wondering if anyone who experienced that problem could shed light on how it was fixed?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 46 (12,769 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Hi, I have the same problem. It stops at 99% and show me an error. I restarted it, but when it starts, there is always updating a I cannot do anything else.
please, have you solved it ? Can you help me? thanks, Pedro
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 46 (12,754 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

If I find an alternative fix to include keeping the saved data (Rather than buying a replacement hard drive, or sending my bricked ps3 to Sony for a used/refurbished one) then I will be sure to post it back here.

Otherwise you may instead see a post to gumtree/ebay with a listing for my games collection.  All good things an all that.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 46 (12,726 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Hey guys, I just started the update on one of my ps3's when I went to check to see if it was done the ps3 was switched off. Switched it back on, it turns on but nothing happens! Blank screen through either connections. Can't get into recovery mode, sony want to charge me more for a repair than what a new ps3 would cost!! Sony bricked my ps3 with this update there's no way I'm paying them for this!!!!
Thing is I also have a ps3 super slim which is fine, but after the update, that also switched off instead of restarting, which tells me there is something clearly wrong with this update! Just need more people to start coming forward :smileysad:
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 46 (12,714 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

you try updating it with a usb stick or from playstation network?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 46 (12,704 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I updated via playstation network, wireless wifi.  Will update via USB in future (Although there weren't any connection problems at my side, I don't wish to have this problem ever again).

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 46 (12,678 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

So, after  1 call to Sony support, a lot of playing about disassembling my ps3 and google searches trawling various other posts and forums, I have to thank a post made my Sevan68 for bringing to light a solution to this problem.  Their method means I get to keep my saved data, my ps3 games, and any money I would have wasted following Sony Tech Support advice - sending off my ps3 for a refurb.

It involves temporarily removing your hard drive, and it's likely that the screw you need to remove to do this will be hidden beneath a sticker that when removed, will void your warranty.  If your system is still within warranty then I would suggest contacting sony tech support firstly just to be safe.

Original link - http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PS3-Support/PS3-stuck-at-99-update-not-able-to-enter-fail-saf...

Post made by Sevan68:

Hi

This is the message I just sent Sony when I had the same issue for past 2 days......

In light of the useless response I received from you in an email, I have pleasure in saying that I have fixed this ‘updates failing at 99%’ issue myself; maybe you should pass this on to any other PS3 users who are tearing their hair out whilst experiencing the same issue:

THIS IS THE BEST METHOD - NO HARD DRIVE EXCHANGE REQUIRED

Tools required:

1. A Laptop or PC
  2. USB Storage Device
  3. Set of Precision Screwdrivers
  4. Stopwatch (explain later)

1. Insert a USB storage device in a laptop / PC. (Hopefully you have one). Create a new folder named PS3 and double-click into it, then create another new folder called UPDATE, (*Note the folder names must be in CAPITAL letters) and then navigate to the latest update file called PS3UPDAT.PUP, right-click on it and copy and then paste into the UPDATE folder (so technically you have the PS3 update file inside the UPDATE folder and this UPDATE folder inside the PS3 folder).

2. At the left-hand side of your console is a small panel that pops open to reveal a small blue screw which holds the hard drive in place (this is for the FAT version of the PS3, you will have to search the Internet to find when there hard-drive is on other versions) and just below the blue screw is a small metal pull out tab which forms part of the casing that holds the hard drive secure and in place. (DO NOT PULL THIS YET)

3. Turn ON your console, when the update screen appears gently pull the metal TAB to remove your hard drive from the PS3. After a minute or so you are prompted with an error message and a 60-second restart timer counting down. Let the timer countdown and allow your PS3 to restart. (some users have stated at this point you are prompted to download the update via USB but is did not happen for me and the system said it was unable to start because ‘No Storage Media Was Detected’)

4. Turn the PS3 off and push your hard drive back into console. This was the tedious bit for me but hopefully the following info will not make it so for you, As you are turning your PS3 console back on you are also starting your stopwatch at exactly the same time (I used the one on my i-Phone) when the stopwatch reaches anywhere between 4.5 - 5 seconds….. quickly (but gently) pull the metal TAB to remove your hard drive from the PS3. After approximately 10-15 seconds a screen prompts you to connect your controller to the PS3 via your USB cable and to press the PS button. You will be prompted to install the failing update via your USB storage device. DO NOT Insert your USB storage device at this point but still press Start & Select on your controller, another message will then appear saying ‘No Update Could Be Found’.  At this point gently push your hard drive back into the PS3 and then press X on your controller and repeat the update process by pressing Start & Select again.

5. The update is found and installed, the PS3 restarts and everything is back to normal, everything is intact, no data loss and more importantly no long tedious phone calls to Sony support and they cannot charge a penny trying to sell you a replacement PS3 console!

Happy Days!!!!!

Sevan68

One thing I would add, is that these steps differed only slightly for me at stage 4.  At the very end, after receiving the message 'no update could be found' and reinserting my hard drive, I then inserted the USB drive and it used the updated 4.55 patch from that. (http://uk.playstation.com/ps3/support/system-software/)

My ps3 is now up and running again, back to normal resolution too, updated to 4.55 and signed in to psn right now.  Hope this helps anyone else having the same problem.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 46 (12,661 Views)
0 Kudos