munnky

53%
02 Rank
Progress

Play TV Auto Off crashing PS3

701 Replies 8,510 Views Created 22-08-2012
22 Aug 2012
By munnky

I'm aware of Play TV crashing on the startup screen, but has anyone else encountered Play TV  not turning off the PS3 and freezing the system during  the Auto Off feature?  My PS3 has started to do this a couple of weeks ago, I notice that the PS3 is on when it shouldn't be.

I then come across the "Play TV is recording etc." Auto Off screen, press O on the Joypad and......nothing!!!! so then I have to turn off by the mains and go through all the HDD checking and rebuilding.  It is a 160gb slim PS3 and 2 years old (approx) and I'm running the latest updated version of Play TV.

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

hgwells

• MVP
93%
05 Rank
Progress
hgwells
Accepted Solution
No new devices have been produced in quite a while.

The problem is with recent firmware releases. PlayTv was working from it's last fix, up until PS3 firmware 4.31 was issued. The firmware team managed to remove whatever it was that allowed PlayTv to work in this release, and have not replaced it yet.
The PlayTv software was developed in the UK by Cambridge Studio. This studio was closed by Sony at least a couple of years ago, and the knowledge of the PlayTv software was lost.
PS3 firmware is developed in Japan/USA. Neither of these markets use PlayTv.
Considering SCE's lack of emphasis on the EU, I think the chances of a PlayTv specific fix in a firmware release are non existent.
I hope I am proved wrong, but I doubt it.
I ditched my PlayTv box this time last year ( fed up with the persistent stuttering), and replaced it with Humax recorder.
Good luck to those of you holding out for a fix, but I think it will be a long time coming.
0 Kudos

Re: Play TV Auto Off crashing PS3

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

EKO12

80%
02 Rank
Progress
EKO12
Accepted Solution
Thanks for posting that update, who knows if any of it is true. Shame Sony didn't see fit to post it on here themselves. Again shows how little they care about their customers. X-Box One looks good, i'll let it launch and see if its stable, if it is then i'll give it a go. I was a loyal Sony customer but this has put me right off. Funnily enough , the epg on my Sony tv is now starting to go super slow and there are no firmware updates. Poor.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

LackyBandito888

67%
02 Rank
Progress
LackyBandito888
Accepted Solution

Need some help guys, speaking to playstation "support" today, they are now saying they cannot remove my ChatTV upgrade as they have no feature to do it??? Has anyone definitely had ChatTV removed from their download list?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

neil_everett

55%
02 Rank
Progress
neil_everett
Accepted Solution

I was refunded, but the upgrade is still active on my account. Only way I found to workaround was the previously mentioned system deactivation. I have been using my PS3 like this for a few months now with no issues, much better then reverting to V1.00.

I figure that if they ever do release a fix, I will at least have the upgrade available for free... minor recompense for the whole episode...

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

OneDarkJester

49%
02 Rank
Progress
OneDarkJester
Accepted Solution

Obviously I have seen the Xbox One reveal, looks like Microsoft is making a serious Play for this audience.

Seriously Sony you need to get this fixed if you want to stay in the game. What kind of message does this send to your prospective PS4 customers.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

varsas

96%
03 Rank
Progress
varsas
Accepted Solution

OneDarkJester wrote:

Obviously I have seen the Xbox One reveal, looks like Microsoft is making a serious Play for this audience.

Seriously Sony you need to get this fixed if you want to stay in the game. What kind of message does this send to your prospective PS4 customers.

We've not seen anything regarding the European side of things; MS seem to be going hard for the U.S. crowd.

NiallASD wrote:

After installing the update and downloading from the store it continues to freeze for a few seconds when deleting recordings (and in the process disrupting any recordings being made at the time).

I have a feeling we'll need to delete, restore the filesystem and re-install to clean things up... I guess I'll see how my one goes for a while first.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

OneDarkJester

49%
02 Rank
Progress
OneDarkJester
Accepted Solution

varsas wrote:

OneDarkJester wrote:

We've not seen anything regarding the European side of things; MS seem to be going hard for the U.S. crowd.

"We want the world to watch television through this box." - Microsoft Studios boss Phil Spencer

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

steveOooo123

80%
02 Rank
Progress
steveOooo123
Accepted Solution
All the Xbox is doing is 'Hdmi pass thru' ie it doesn't have any PVR ability, to record, you'll still need a another box like youview etc...
Just saves you 4.8 seconds in switching from one hdmi input to the other. C
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

OneDarkJester

49%
02 Rank
Progress
OneDarkJester
Accepted Solution

steveOooo123 wrote:
All the Xbox is doing is 'Hdmi pass thru' ie it doesn't have any PVR ability, to record, you'll still need a another box like youview etc...
Just saves you 4.8 seconds in switching from one hdmi input to the other. C

Indeed correct and they may not support timeshifting and DVR at launch and if they don't put a tuner inside the Xbox One I wont be using it in the UK for any TV related content.

But the potential still exists with an HDMI passthrough to build in a software solution to implement these functions.

I was thinking by highlighting the potential for competition it would encourage support for the existing product we are all campaigning so hard to be brought back to full working order.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

LackyBandito888

67%
02 Rank
Progress
LackyBandito888
Accepted Solution

Cheers Neil Everett, looks like I'm going down the same route, however they wouldnt refund me as I had owned it for "2 years", and when I rang the cheaper number for Playstation support (020 7859 5000) the girl on the other end said she had been told not to put people through anymore and was giving out the 0844 number, all in all leaving a very bad taste in the mouth, thank goodness the Xbox One looks quite good.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Bankzy108

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Bankzy108
Accepted Solution

I've been having the same problems for a long time, I just thought it was down to my PS3 and not the actual software. Mine seems to freeze:

* When I am playing a game and a recording starts (usually 10 minutes before)
* When I am watching a Blu-ray and a recording starts
* First recording of the day when the PS3 is off
* If I click on 'Find related programs'
* If I try and search for a program
* Sometimes when a recording starts and the PS3 is off (sometimes it is fine)
* Stuttering when playing a recording (have to quit back to the menu and go back onto the recording)
* Odd freeze when I try and move around the menus to fast - such as going through the already recorded programs list

Had PlayTV since the day it came out for my bedroom TV and its getting annoying now. Was holding out for the PS4 and a similar product to PlayTV for it but after finding out this is a wider issue I might just by a standalone PVR. The only way I have found for it to not freeze 100% while recording is to leave the PS3 on during the recording times on the PlayTV menu screen. Hardly practical and wastes electric though.

Running Version 02.03 with the paid add-on by the way. Hopefully a fix is round the corner, but with various sources from Sony spouting the same statements I can't see it happening at all.

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

NiallASD

86%
04 Rank
Progress
NiallASD
Accepted Solution

A few months ago my PS3 wouldn't turn OFF, even after using the button at the back the problem persisted and the only way to fix it to my knowledge was a factory reset. 

I can't help but think PlayTV was involved...

...I continue to use it because I'm a chump.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Magicmerly

74%
02 Rank
Progress
Magicmerly
Accepted Solution

It might be worth airing our views here :) 

http://www.facebook.com/SonyUK/posts/641780109168846?comment_id=116635068&offset=0&total_comments=1&...

I've also informed Watchdog because Sony are clearly fobbing us off with this "we're working on it" (for seven months ?!?!?)

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Beetlebum89

54%
02 Rank
Progress
Beetlebum89
Accepted Solution
There was an update to play tv this morning, any improvement??

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

eynon

88%
02 Rank
Progress
eynon
Accepted Solution

Beetlebum89 wrote:

You are correct, System Update 2.04 is now live 

It's an 88MB Update

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

munnky

53%
02 Rank
Progress
munnky
Accepted Solution

TBH I was thinking of firing an email off to Watchdog, I'll see how this update works out.....then I might just do that.  Maybe shaming them might get them to fix it!!

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

SuperFastZombie

• Beta Tester
92%
04 Rank
Progress
SuperFastZombie
Accepted Solution

Beetlebum89 wrote:

Yes this update has been released to address the issues you guys have been having. Please provide feedback in this thread on weather things have improved and I will pass it on to the team.

SFZ

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

eynon

88%
02 Rank
Progress
eynon
Accepted Solution

I've sucessfully used "Find an Record" a dozen times without the system crashing.

A recording I set started while I was browsing the PS store, no freezing/crashing.

The update seems to have removed the "Live Chat Unlock" Series link etc so I've just redownloaded that from the store to try series link.

This is looking very promising 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

steveOooo123

80%
02 Rank
Progress
steveOooo123
Accepted Solution
OMG they've fixed it?... Until the next firmware update lol

Well, too late pony - very happy with my youview box - barely use my ps3 anymore...

Youview in action - http://youtu.be/C3TjYncD3y8
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

NiallASD

86%
04 Rank
Progress
NiallASD
Accepted Solution

My attempt to record a series have been successful. The caused the PS3 to freeze 9 times out of 10 in the past.

The patch is appreciated.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

strangeplaice

• MVP
95%
10 Rank
Progress
strangeplaice
Accepted Solution
Worked for me! :D Cheers for the fix SFZ!
0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel