Support

PS3 Support

PS3 Support

22 Aug 2012
By: munnky Member 19 Posts
Level 1

Play TV Auto Off crashing PS3

701 Replies 6026 Views Created 22-08-2012

I'm aware of Play TV crashing on the startup screen, but has anyone else encountered Play TV  not turning off the PS3 and freezing the system during  the Auto Off feature?  My PS3 has started to do this a couple of weeks ago, I notice that the PS3 is on when it shouldn't be.

I then come across the "Play TV is recording etc." Auto Off screen, press O on the Joypad and......nothing!!!! so then I have to turn off by the mains and go through all the HDD checking and rebuilding.  It is a 160gb slim PS3 and 2 years old (approx) and I'm running the latest updated version of Play TV.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 702 (6,026 Views)
0 Kudos

PlayTV freezes after carousel menu - library, live tv, etc. Settings partially functional.

[ Edited ]

I've been using a PlayTV happily for over a year on my 320G slim PS3.

This morning, I started it like normal, but when I span the menu and tried to enter 'Library', it froze and I had to tap the PS button on the controller and select the 'Quit' option.

I get the same thing if I try to watch LiveTV, and although I can go into Settings and enable or disable the First Time Help, other settings cause the same freeze behaviour.

I only have 10G left on my 320G machine, so I'm wondering whether PlayTV is hitting some disc block-allocation problem.. I did recently install the Sorcery demo, but I've used PlayTV since then.

I have quite a lot of programmes recorded, and I'd happily go to tidy up the library (I think it said I had about 9 hours remaining) except... as I say above - trying to enter the Library freezes the application up.

The same issue is reported in this other forum - www.avforums.com/forums/ps3/1466793-new-play-tv-problem-freezing-entering-guide-library-schedule.htm...

I'm currently taking a backup of the machine - it quotes 8 hours(!) - and I'm hoping that if this can be resolved with a software fix, that I'll be able to put it back.

I work as a software programmer, so if someone from PlayTV wants to contact me to obtain logs or whatever, I should be competent to help with that.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 702 (6,162 Views)
0 Kudos

Re: PlayTV freezes after carousel menu - library, live tv, etc. Settings partially functional.

Yup, I too have had this issue several times since we have had PlayTV and each time the only workable option is to uninstall it and loose all of the recordings. It has been working fine for months, and this morning, go to check out what’s going on in the Olympics and behold. It hangs, now I have to waste my Sunday morning messing about with PlayTV. I notice from the previous times this has happened on some of the older forum posts that no Sony rep has replied to any of the posts about this, and as the other users in those post, it totally sucks that you have to loose all of the recordings you have made each time this software screws up.

Thanks for the fix Sony. LOL

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 702 (6,088 Views)
0 Kudos

Re: PlayTV freezes after carousel menu - library, live tv, etc. Settings partially functional.

I am having the same problem too its always freezing on the main play tv menu, its got really bad all of a sudden. I have a ps3 fat with a 320gb hdd 7200rpm. I did have about 10 hours recording time left. I have deleted play tv software and reinstalled v1.00 from the disk and lost all my recordings I then updated it to v2.03 and its still crashing now. I heard it maybe down to a fragmented hard drive so i went into safe mode and did option :-

3. Restore File System - Attempts to repair all areas on the hard disk drive where files can be
saved. Corrupted data may be erased if it
cannot be recovered.

&

4. Rebuild Database - Deletes messages, playlists, changes made on screens, trimming
information for pictures in , video thumbnails,
video playback history and video resume
information.

This still didn't work either.
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 702 (6,050 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Hi guys,

The Play TV software when fully updated should be working ok- or there has been no reports of such issues after being patched sometime ago.

A number of users have reported issues with Play TV, and also recording when using a HDD upgrade in their console. Certain HDD can go into idle when recording for instance which can cause for freezing or issues here. I've not come across an issue that has due to the volume of recordings or anything along these lines?

The only thing that can really be suggested is to delete Play TV and reinstall, although it should be possible to back up some of the programmes to an external HDD if you wanted to keep them.

Let me know how you get on with this,

Rabid

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 702 (6,047 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Re: Play TV Auto Off crashing PS3

munnky wrote:

I'm aware of Play TV crashing on the startup screen, but has anyone else encountered Play TV  not turning off the PS3 and freezing the system during  the Auto Off feature?  My PS3 has started to do this a couple of weeks ago, I notice that the PS3 is on when it shouldn't be.

I then come across the "Play TV is recording etc." Auto Off screen, press O on the Joypad and......nothing!!!! so then I have to turn off by the mains and go through all the HDD checking and rebuilding.  It is a 160gb slim PS3 and 2 years old (approx) and I'm running the latest updated version of Play TV.

Hi munnky,

I have not encountered this issue before?

Are you only encountering this issue with the auto off feature turned on, or are other issues occuring with Play TV during normal use?

Have you attempted to delete and reinstall the PlayTV software (and updates) to see if this has made any difference?

Rabid

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 702 (6,018 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Rabid, thanks for the rapid reply.

I had trouble with Play TV crashing on the either the carousel menu or the Splash screen. I uninstalled and re-installed the Play TV software and it seemed to work. Everything worked fine until a couple of weeks ago, when my girlfriend noticed the PS3 was on for over 2 hours and couldn't get it out of the Auto Off screen.

As you suggested, it only seems to be with the Auto Off feature turned on, and it seems to be when Play TV is recording something 1hr-2hrs long (a film for example).

I might uninstall/install again to see what will happen. Any ideas mate?
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 702 (6,008 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Well, after uninstalling & then reinstalling Play TV a couple of times, it still crashes at the Auto Off screen causing the PS3 to be turned off at the mains. If I can't solve it I might get rid of it as it doesn't record programs when it crashes. Any ideas anyone?
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 702 (5,984 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

munnky wrote:
Well, after uninstalling & then reinstalling Play TV a couple of times, it still crashes at the Auto Off screen causing the PS3 to be turned off at the mains. If I can't solve it I might get rid of it as it doesn't record programs when it crashes. Any ideas anyone?

Hi munnky,

I can't think why it would freeze here, unless it was getting confused between running the software and attempting to auto power off.

Do you have a HDD upgrade in the console at all, as some HDD idle when not in use and have caused issues with Play TV. Otherwise I'm not too sure unless someone else has experienced this before?

Rabid

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 702 (5,975 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Rabid,

No mate, it's a straight out of the box 160gb PS3 slim I bought when my beloved fat 60gb PS3 repeately got the YLOD.  I've hoovered out all the bits that gets dusty and have put it on it's side with quite a bit of space around it for ventilation.  It's probably nothing but I've noticed that the time and date comes up when it crashes on the Auto Off screen.  Thanx for your help mate!!

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 702 (5,961 Views)
0 Kudos