53%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Play TV Auto Off crashing PS3

701 Replies 8,381 Views Created 22-08-2012

I'm aware of Play TV crashing on the startup screen, but has anyone else encountered Play TV  not turning off the PS3 and freezing the system during  the Auto Off feature?  My PS3 has started to do this a couple of weeks ago, I notice that the PS3 is on when it shouldn't be.

I then come across the "Play TV is recording etc." Auto Off screen, press O on the Joypad and......nothing!!!! so then I have to turn off by the mains and go through all the HDD checking and rebuilding.  It is a 160gb slim PS3 and 2 years old (approx) and I'm running the latest updated version of Play TV.

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

RissyMcG

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RissyMcG
Accepted Solution
Well. That's great. It's so simple. Boycott PS4. If this issue isn't resolved with my current console, then I will not be going anywhere near PS4 either. Maybe it's just time a grew up and put away childish things anyway. Without things like PlayTV to make it a central hub, then it's just like every other console. Nothing special. Nothing to make it stand out from the crowd. Why would I want to spend my hard earned cash on another one of those!? It's just another toy at this point. One I can easily do without. I can see me switching over to a new life away from all things Sony. If they won't respect me, then I, as the consumer, have the power. I shall remove my custom, and never return.
0 Kudos

Re: Play TV Auto Off crashing PS3

Phat 80GB PS3 upgraded to 320GB.
/16

simplesimey

56%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
simplesimey
Accepted Solution
I am on hols for 4 weeks n dreading return to see non recording by play tv .... S.O.S save our souls (from) sony. Seriously do they know the collateral damage from this n i have directly influenced 3 non techos to buy ps3s. Pretty obv i wont be batting for sony anymore which i would like to do. Disillusioned simey ...
0 Kudos

/16

megacity48

46%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
megacity48
Accepted Solution

SimpleSimey - Just revert to Version 1.0 of Play TV and you should have no problems - V1.0 is not perfect - eg lack of Series Recording and being unable to select a default 1 minute before program recording start and one minute after the end ( so not to miss the start of programmes) but at least it works. Until the next system update this will have to be the way it is I think if you want to use Play TV.

0 Kudos

/16

steveOooo123

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
steveOooo123
Accepted Solution
I couldnt use v1 anymore due to:

1. Image quality - not only does it not upscale, it has a weird blurry washed out image.
2. EPG - Often when turning PLAY TV on, the programmes in the epg that were there the night before or a couple days ago, have disappeared - you have to tune to the mux for the epg to update - very tedious and time consuming.

Obviously if you can cope with the above (pretty sure if you export recordings, the ps3 will play back the file as upscaled) then stick with it, but after a couple weeks, i've now bought a youview box and couldnt be happier - its actually supported and developed by the broadcasters themselves.
0 Kudos

/16

simplesimey

56%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
simplesimey
Accepted Solution
Hi yep unf v1 doesnt do series record .... which i nd while away. Have left ps3 on so hopefully it will work. Guess sony busy with ps4 but they have bn making noises abt ps3 part of business for medium term. Still disillusioned here ...
0 Kudos

/16

Jay-Kay-Em

26%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Jay-Kay-Em
Accepted Solution
V1, in my eyes, not a suitable fall back as things have changed since I bought the program all those years ago.

1) Picture heavily pixilated.

2) An EPG which does not populate - no matter how long you stay in it. This is with 85% antenna strength. I don't remember this problem all those years ago?

3) A keyword search function that crashes

The whole thing is a joke. I have been hitting this page for a fix everyday for months now.

My patience, and it seems many of the guys an gals on this forum too, is wearing thin.

0 Kudos

/16

DryCounty

92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
DryCounty
Accepted Solution

Got fed up and bought a new PVR yesterday.  Been thinking of doing so for a few weeks now.  PlayTV v1.0 was working fine for me, albeit slow to load epg etc but working nonetheless.

However, when it came to deleteing recordings, playtv would freeze for a good few mins and would interrupt any background recordings in the process.  This is probably due to the playtv not working well with a fragmented hard drive.  Would also interrupt recordings when games autosaved etc.

But quite happy with my new PVR now and i'll have  alot more space on my ps3 ;)

0 Kudos

/16

KillerCraigUK

35%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
KillerCraigUK
Accepted Solution
Hi fellow disgruntled PlayTV users

I too have been experiencing the problems of PlayTV (v2.03 with series link upgrade) crashing mid-record from standby and freezing showing the "Currently, [PlayTV™] is in progress" screen and the time it has crashed. Pressing O does not have any effect and the only way to escape this is to hold down the power button until it restarts and then goes through the harddrive check as the PS3 was not shutdown correctly.

I can't remember the first time this happened but it must have been around December or January. I first started thinking it was my hard drive failing which is a 500GB I installed myself so i backed up the hard drive, replaced it with another and restored. On restoring I noticed that the series link function had been removed although it remained at v2.03 so I redownloaded from the playstation store but found that the same problems returned. After reading this forum and finding that the series link function may be to blame I restored from my backup once again and the series link upgrade along with its other features are now gone, I still have all of my recordings and after a week since doing this I have not yet had it crash. Any previous series links will stay after restoring but I decided to cancel all of these just to be safe and just use single recordings from now on.

So as an alternative to deleting PlayTV and losing all of your recordings (or moving them to main screen) before reinstalling, you could try this. Unfortunately you lose series link but it's better than it crashing everyday. Hope this helps.

Sony should be investigating this and not leaving it to their customers to find workarounds for their shoddy software upgrades. Just a bit of communication and assurance that you're going to fix this may stop you losing some loyal customers.
0 Kudos

/16

steveOooo123

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
steveOooo123
Accepted Solution
If you have ps+ and have paid $ony for the update, you have to turn auto update - off 'download game patches - off'. And stay on v1 - or if you want 2.0.3, you have to fart around deactivating the system / and reactivating every time you want to play ps+ free downloads - yes really.

I can see why Sony in 2013 are Apple becoming like Apple in 1996 - ie almost bankrupt
0 Kudos

/16

ad25121048

62%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ad25121048
Accepted Solution

I had enough! Today I bought a 'Huawei YouView' box and it's the best thing I've ever bought (for the TV). Seriously, bin off PlayTV, PS3 and definantly the upcoming PS4. Sony have really got to me on this one. I really don't mind things going wrong as long as it's fixed in a timely fashion.

I'm going to email them later and ask for a refund for the PlayTV update. Can't see me using their console again.

The YouView box is amazing. It has series recording (at no extra cost!), FreeView HD and a good choice of on demand services. Wish I'd bought it sooner. Anyone that's interested in one can find them on eBay around £80 ( and well worth it too ).

Will try to sell the PlayTV hardware but can't see many people wanting it due to the unsolved problems.

Anyway, hope the people who are stil sticking with PlayTV get a fix (and an apology) from Sony.

Good luck.

0 Kudos

/16

steveOooo123

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
steveOooo123
Accepted Solution
They'll want u to call them re a refund - I'm still waiting for mine - one month and counting...
0 Kudos

/16

ad25121048

62%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ad25121048
Accepted Solution

You're right! Had an email today asking for me to call them (at my cost!) Replied with my mobile number and asked them to call me!

0 Kudos

/16

steveOooo123

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
steveOooo123
Accepted Solution
It'll come up as blocked / withhold number
0 Kudos

/16

ad25121048

62%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ad25121048
Accepted Solution

Cheers steveOooo123. I've not had a call yet. I doubt they'll be in a rush to call me though.

0 Kudos

/16

simplesimey

56%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
simplesimey
Accepted Solution
Given up on sony to do the right thing n fix it ....Trading standards n hopefully watchdog may help ... But just like communication n a fix ...
0 Kudos

/16

simplesimey

56%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
simplesimey
Accepted Solution
Sony ure losing a large fanbase i hope u know !
0 Kudos

/16

simplesimey

56%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
simplesimey
Accepted Solution
0 Kudos

/16

EKO12

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
EKO12
Accepted Solution
Wow - an actual proper response. If they broke it, they can fix it. Hopefully our patience will be rewarded. Well done Mr Coolpro and other fellow complainers for keeping at this! Come on Andy Barnes!
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

xLew--

• Beta Tester
97%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
xLew--
Accepted Solution
the only fix i know of so far is to turn off system auto-off under power save settings, does anyone know or is willing to test the new update to see if it has fixed this?

ill be trying in a few days if not.
0 Kudos

/16

Johnsters

24%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Johnsters
Accepted Solution

New PS3 patch today.

Wonder if it'll fix this issue?

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

richUK

• Beta Tester
68%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
richUK
Accepted Solution

I'm really hoping that patch 4.40 fixes this.. having to go back to manual recording after using series recording for so long has been a bit of a drag :P

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel