View Original Post
28 Feb 2013
By tkd-munkeeki

tkd-munkeeki

46%
02 Rank
Progress
Accepted Solution

PlayTV Freezing Problem - Software Fault?

14 Replies 8,684 Views Created 28-02-2013
28 Feb 2013
By tkd-munkeeki
Sorry for what seems like a duplicate post, but I am running out of ideas here. I have been up and down the forums and can't find a solution to my problem. Others appear to have this
, , but I think I've tried more fixes than I have read about. Here's my story...

I have a PS3 Slim (original 250Gb HD) with the latest version of PlayTV installed. It has been freezing constantly for weeks, either mid-programme, during playback or in the EPG. This waz a total freeze and had to hold the power button to re-start. I ended up doing a full system restore then restored from backup. The problem remained, but I could now use the PS button to quit the app. Like others, this reset the PS3, but was a step forward. Some people suggested it was a HD error so I upgraded to a 500Gb PS3 compatible drive and again restored from backup. Still freezing, but could reset with the PS button. I finally deleted PlayTV and did a fresh install. Still freezing. I had finally decided I had a graphics chip problem and have the PS3 boxed up to go for re-solder. I have borrowed my son's PS3 (phat, 80Gb) and installed PlayTV on his machine (first time, completely new install). It has worked fine for a week and now his has started crashing at the EPG if I leave it there for 5 minutes.

So... this has to be a software issue? I have done a full system restore, clean install, replaced the HD and tried a clean install on another machine and have the same problem each time.

Does anyone have any other suggestions before I bin PlayTV and buy a PVR?
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

tkd-munkeeki

46%
02 Rank
Progress
tkd-munkeeki
Accepted Solution
Just found a workaround for the PlayTV problem that works perfectly for me. I found it under the "auto-off" problem so thought I would re-post it here a) because it's different to my issue and it took me months to find it and b) so it might save peoplehaving to wade through pages of forum discussion before they find the nugget they are after.

The solution is simply to deactivate your PS3 for "game" on the Playstation Network. This has the effect of disabling downloaded content. Any disc-based games will still work fine. If, like me, the only downloaded conent you really use is the paid-for PlayTV 2.03 "chat" download (which seems to have a problem with firmware 4.31) then this workaround is ideal. You can watch uninterrupted TV until Sony release a fix. Note that apparently this will disable the series link functionality, which came with the paid-for 2.03 download, but apparently you can reactivate the console for "game", series link what you want and then deactivate it again to stop the freezing. Haven't tried it myself yet so am taking someone else's word for it!

Instructions on how to deactivate the PS3 can be found here: http://uk.playstation.com/psn/support/ps3/detail/linked236637/item308379/Activate-Deactivate-your-PS...

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Re: PlayTV Freezing Problem - Software Fault?

All Replies

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

steveOooo123

80%
02 Rank
Progress
steveOooo123
Accepted Solution
All covered in the 6 month old, 27 page thread - in summary, likely issue with the system software 4.3.1 which they are 'looking into'.

I've completely given up with play tv amd now use a 1tb Humax Youview box, much better solution I'm afraid than Play TVS current state (had used it for 4.25 years)
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

tkd-munkeeki

46%
02 Rank
Progress
tkd-munkeeki
Accepted Solution
Thanks for the quick response, Steve, and thanks for saving me another £60 as well. If Sony are "looking into" it then I'm probably better off with a PVR like you. After the splash screen problem, the shutdown problem and now this I'm left with the impression that Sony see PlayTV as a toy rather than part of a "media console" solution. Shame, cos that's the reason I bought a PS3!

Thanks again and sorry again for the duplicate post.
All the best.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Chris2626

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Chris2626
Accepted Solution
I have a ps3 slim 16g and have been playing the new cod2 zombies transit love it, I today purchased the die rise download for £11.50 and played die rise one player and it works fine, however I tried three times to play a public match with more players and the moment before you ready up the ps3 console freezes on me and I need to turn off console from main as ps button on control is also frozen.

Can someone help please as it's highly frustrating as it always does this.????????

HELP PLEASE
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

tkd-munkeeki

46%
02 Rank
Progress
tkd-munkeeki
Accepted Solution
Just found a workaround for the PlayTV problem that works perfectly for me. I found it under the "auto-off" problem so thought I would re-post it here a) because it's different to my issue and it took me months to find it and b) so it might save peoplehaving to wade through pages of forum discussion before they find the nugget they are after.

The solution is simply to deactivate your PS3 for "game" on the Playstation Network. This has the effect of disabling downloaded content. Any disc-based games will still work fine. If, like me, the only downloaded conent you really use is the paid-for PlayTV 2.03 "chat" download (which seems to have a problem with firmware 4.31) then this workaround is ideal. You can watch uninterrupted TV until Sony release a fix. Note that apparently this will disable the series link functionality, which came with the paid-for 2.03 download, but apparently you can reactivate the console for "game", series link what you want and then deactivate it again to stop the freezing. Haven't tried it myself yet so am taking someone else's word for it!

Instructions on how to deactivate the PS3 can be found here: http://uk.playstation.com/psn/support/ps3/detail/linked236637/item308379/Activate-Deactivate-your-PS...

Hope that helps.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

steveOooo123

80%
02 Rank
Progress
steveOooo123
Accepted Solution
Doesn't that deactivate all your psn+ games? So to use play TV, you can't play downloaded games?
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

beautowne

22%
02 Rank
Progress
beautowne
Accepted Solution

Hi all,

I think I solved the issue in a much simpler way. all the "auto-off" methods and re-installing etc didn't work for me. The thing that worked for me, was to remove a few dodgy connections/splitters between my ariel and PlayTV box! 

A while back I was having issues tuning in certain stations to PlayTV, but my $20 digital set top box found them fine. I called an antenna guy and he said that he had seen it a number of times when people using PlayTV would just have poor reception and put it down to the units requiring a really good signal to work properly. I started noticing that after windy days, my guide was really patchy with some stations not finding the programs at all. I put it down to the ariel iniutially, but realised some of the signal may also be lost in a few extra cables I had splitting the ariel to differnt tv's/radios etc.

I bought a signal tester and tested the signal before and after removing these cables, and once I remove them, the meter read a much higher signal and all of a sudden my PlayTV guide loaded quickly and the stalling function stopped! (touch wood....)

So think the software just froze when it couldn't load the TV guide properly.

Hope this helps some other people!

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

tkd-munkeeki

46%
02 Rank
Progress
tkd-munkeeki
Accepted Solution
That's my understanding,yes, but it isn't a one-time thing. You can deactivate and reactivate to your heart's content as far as I am aware so you can reactivate when you want to play games. I guess it's a trade off between the number of times you have to reboot due to a PlayTV freeze and the number of times you'd have to deactivate/reactivate. My PlayTV freezes every 30 minutes or so at best and I rarely play downloaded games so it's a no brainer for me.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

steveOooo123

80%
02 Rank
Progress
steveOooo123
Accepted Solution
No, reactivating / deactivating can only be done once per 6months per account (unless I have remembered it wrong from when i did it in January)
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

tkd-munkeeki

46%
02 Rank
Progress
tkd-munkeeki
Accepted Solution
That's if you do it online via your account using a PC or via Customer Services. Not sure why. You can do it as much as you like on the console. I've just done it 3 times in a row no bother.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

w7stadium7

21%
02 Rank
Progress
w7stadium7
Accepted Solution
I too am now getting this fault error problem.. within minutes .. play tv . Shuts. Stops. Freezes. . I have too turn off then back on again... what's bloody going on.. come on Sony. Play tv.. Help help help .or send me a new one. For free cause it faults.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

thomasjwoods

23%
02 Rank
Progress
thomasjwoods
Accepted Solution

For me the solution was to make sure the ariel was in the best possible position and to then rescan for channels when it was.

It must be something to do with picking up a poor signal that made it freeze. Now it works perfectly again :)

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

RissyMcG

84%
02 Rank
Progress
RissyMcG
Accepted Solution

Both my parents and MY PS3 PlayTV have both started suffering this freezing issue now.  (We live over 300 miles apart, not in the same house).  We're all still relying on PlayTV, even now (and why wouldn't you if you've paid for it).

Anyway, just like others, I tried deleting and reinstalling the app from scratch.  I fully installed EVERYTHING.  Including the extra series record add-on again.  This resulted in the same freezing problem.  So no good.  I then found this thread on the forum and have just tried the suggested disabling of the PS3 from my user account.  This seems to be working.  It makes me think it's the social aspects which are probably stopping PlayTV from working properly now, or the TVTV thing.  Probably due to lack of support I'd guess.

im going to try scrubbing PlayTV again, but this time, not even bother adding the series record add-on part.  I suspect this will also work to fix the freezing issue, but means you'll be able to leave your PS3 activated.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Phat 80GB PS3 upgraded to 320GB.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

mont348

• MVP
98%
14 Rank
Progress
mont348
RissyMcG
Accepted Solution

PlayTV and any other standard definition setop box or TV tuner with a DVBT tuner is on borrowed time. Over the next year or two these devices with DVBT tuner will start losing channels as the frequency is being shifted to 5G mobile coverage.

The best way to future proof yourself is to invest in Freeview Play/HD equipment with a DVBT-2 tuner to avoid the loss of channels and reliability.

PlayTV has a good run but with all these changes being made to the Freeview services it's causing problems with these devices unfortunately.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

RissyMcG

84%
02 Rank
Progress
RissyMcG
Accepted Solution

Right, one month on and some major progress of this issue.  On Saturday, I removed the old aerial on this new house of mine and have replaced it with a high gain digital aerial I bought off ebay for £35 (total bargain!)

I've installed this on my chimney, and I also replaced the coax cable leading into the loft from the aerial with a high quality new length.  Finally, in addition to this, I fed this new signal into an aerial gain booster/splitter I bought.  Looking at the technical readouts for umpteen channels on my Sony Bravia TV, it was clear to me that I am now getting a much stronger more stable signal across the board for all my digital freeview channels.  Zero errors and constant "HIGH" signal strength.  This same aerial feed into the lounge is simply split off in two directions.  1.  Into my Bravia  2.  Into the PlayTV digi box behind my PS3.

Now the bit you're no doubt eager to read if you're having issues too.

PlayTV is now working PERFECTLY!  I left it for hours on a TV channel, and periodically changed channels etc.  No problems.  No freezing, no crashing.  This was on V1.00 straight off the CD.  I've since updated PlayTV again to the latest and greatest and unlocked it again with the paid for add on to return it all to how is was in my previous house again.  Once again, I can confirm that this too is working perfectly.  I can watch, record and pause TV etc just as I used to be able to.

So i can confirm, there is nothing wrong with the software driving PlayTV or the firmware of your PS3.  If you're having issues, then sort your aerial out and you'll be good to go again.  I'm very pleased!  PlayTV continues to live in my house! 

0 Kudos

Phat 80GB PS3 upgraded to 320GB.
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel