02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Problems connecting ps3 to internet

13 Replies 2,512 Views Created 06-03-2010

Hi, need your help please,

Just got a ps3 and been trying to connect to the net.  I have a pc which is connected to net via a cable modem provided by Virgin media, I have cable internet.  So I bought a Belkin 10/100 network switch box to share the internet connection between pc and ps3.  I connected the cable from modem to the switch box then connected another 2 cables to the switch, one going to the pc and the other to ps3.  While Iam connected to the internet on pc I cant seem to connect to the net on my ps3, just keeps failing to connect, but if I switch off pc and switch modem off then back on and then try and connect with ps3 it connects ok but then if I switch on pc the pc cant connect to internet.  I thought the network switch would allow both devices to use the internet.  What Im i doing wrong here??  Please help if you can.

Thankyou, lee

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TTDegs
Accepted Solution
you are doing everything basically correct :)

On your PC, click the start button (or the Window circle if on Vista / Win7)
If XP, type "cmd.exe" in the 'run' box (without quotes)
If Vista / Win7, type "cmd.exe" in the 'search' box, and then click the icon it finds (black box with C:\ in it)
You should now have a black window appear.

In this type "ipconfig /all"
this will come up with a bunch of stuff, but the important bits you need to take note of are:
IP (or IPv4) Address
Default Gateway
DNS servers

On the PS3, go into the network settings bit, and choose the first option, which will display similar sorts of info.
Again, note down the IP address, and Gateway, and DNS

let us know what you get :)

Also - when you set up the PS3, did you choose manual or auto, and was the PC on at the time?
0 Kudos

Re: Problems connecting ps3 to internet

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

/16

leelee-retset

27%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
leelee-retset
Accepted Solution

Hi TTDegs,  Thank you for the reply, have taken down the information from my pc, The IPV4 number is the same as the default gateway except for the last 3 numbers, theres only 1 number at the end of the gateway.  and the DNS numbers are the same except for 1 number in each is different. Settings for the PS3, the IP address is different then that of the pc and it says private network only under it, the primary and secondary DNS both say automatic and there was no default gateway listed.  I think I chose the auto set up when I first tried to connect and can't remember if pc was on at the time, probably was.   What do I need to do now?  leelee

0 Kudos

/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TTDegs
Accepted Solution
it sounds like the PC is (or was when you did the test) blocking the PS3 from connecting.

I'm going to make some guesses now :)

Your default gateway (according to the PC) is 192.168.2.1
Your PC IPv4 is 192.168.xxx
DNS is probably 192.168.2.1

what I suggest you do is:
With the PC turned on, and connected to the internet, on the PS3, run the network connection setup again.
Choose auto.
Hopefully the test will work at the end, but either way...
Run the setup again, but this time choose manual.
Skip through the screens until you get to the page where it mentions the PS3 IP address.
check the number - hopefully it will be different to the 'xxx' at the end of the IP for the PC (it is correct for the first 3 sets of numbers to be the same :))
Change this number by hand - increase it by a few, just make sure it ends up being different to the PC*
I think on the same page, or the next one, it mentions DNS servers.
While you are there, change those to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 - these are Google's DNS servers and seem to work very well **
carry on to end, and test again :)
Fingers crossed it will work :)

* if the last test doesn't work, you may have set an 'out of range' IP address - re-do it, and DEcrease the number on the end (again, important thing is that it ends up different to the end bit of the PC's IP address)
** at the moment you are using the DNS servers which your router has been set up to use by the manufacturer - these are not always the best ones :)
0 Kudos

/16

leelee-retset

27%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
leelee-retset
Accepted Solution

Hi. ok I have gone through what you said but when I edit the IP address on the ps3 and then enter to confirm, it doesn't allow me to continue, there is no arrow to show that I can continue just an arrow indicating to go back, and when I go back one I have three options again for IP settings, Automatic, Manual and PPPoE, if I chose automatic then it allows me to continue but on Manual I cant continue after that. 

0 Kudos

/16

leelee-retset

27%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
leelee-retset
Accepted Solution

actually just been checking things again and going to the manual set up for the IP address settings there is 5 lists of details, IP address, subnet mask, default router, pri dns, 2nd dns,  I changed IP address ie increased last three numbers by a few digits, didn't touch subnet mask its set at 255 255 255 0, changed the dns number as you said but the default router is all 0, when I go to edit them then an arrow appears for me to continue, so I obviously need to put some details in for the default router, any ideas.

0 Kudos

/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TTDegs
Accepted Solution
slightly weird!
(sorry for delay, been in the office :()

for the default router, use the number form the PC which was showing under 'default gateway'
and yes, you were correct not to change the subnet mask :)
0 Kudos

/16

iRoNiK_GOoN

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
iRoNiK_GOoN
Accepted Solution

what is my DEFAULT ROUTER I NEED HELP PLEASES??????

0 Kudos

/16

Mahavishnu

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Mahavishnu
Accepted Solution

What make is your router?

0 Kudos

/16

DKDiveDude

39%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
DKDiveDude
Accepted Solution

I have exact same problem. Bought a Linksys Etherfast 10/100 Workgroup Switch, because Modern Warfare 3 sucks through router, even when setting up port forwarding on router for MW3 ports AND setting PS3 to static IP.

Anyways so I have a Time Warner Cablle Modem I connect it to port 1 of new switch, then I connect port 2 to PS3 and port 3 to rotuer which goes to PC, DirecTV and other crap.

Router and devices attached to router such as PC gets Internet fine, PS3 however only gets Internet if I disconnect port 3 going to router.

I did try following above steps to manually setup IP, Default Router set to same as PC Gateway IP, and DNS to 8,8,8,8 and 8,8,4,4. When doing the Connection Test I get the IP fine, but no Internet. It says there is a DNS error.

Any suggestions? 

0 Kudos

MVP
/16

strangeplaice

• MVP
95%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
strangeplaice
Accepted Solution
Are you only having the problems with Modern Warfare 3?
0 Kudos

/16

DKDiveDude

39%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
DKDiveDude
Accepted Solution

I have lag problem with MW3 and Black Ops, as they are both based on same technology after Infinity had to update their network code after all the MW2 cheaters.

0 Kudos

MVP
/16

strangeplaice

• MVP
95%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
strangeplaice
Accepted Solution
One of the main problems people have is with other computers on your network running torrenting software. Disabling it has been found to resolve some issues.

Otherwise you might be better seeking advice from the Activision team if you believe it's their system causing the issues.
Their forum is available here: http://forums.activision.com/index.jspa
0 Kudos

/16

DKDiveDude

39%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
DKDiveDude
Accepted Solution

No I turn off my computer so nothing else is downloading, while trying to play MW3 and Black Ops. 

0 Kudos

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel