19 Jun 2013
Playstation Staff
Accepted Solution

Re: WAIT TO INSTALL FIRMWARE 4.45!!!

51 Replies 2,028 Views Created 19-06-2013
So, aside from potential bricking issues did the firmware add anything useful? :smileytongue:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 52 (2,028 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

WAIT TO INSTALL FIRMWARE 4.45!!!

[ Edited ]

There appears to be a widespread and very serious issue with the just released and mandatory Firmware update 4.45, which renders your PS3 unusable!

Based on the rapidly growing thread on the official U.S. technical support forum, it looks like the issue may effect any user who has replaced their hard drive (e.g. with a 1 TB drive). The initial symptom is the update appears to install, but you just get the standard PS3 dynamic wavy background, without icons.

Attempting to resolve the issue using the recovery menu, including resorting to a complete reformat, only makes matters worse (after format you just get a black screen!).

So the consensus is, if you haven't already installed 4.45, wait for Sony to issue a fixed update (especially if you upgraded your HD). 

If you've already updated and encountered the issue, sit tight until there's word from Sony (do not try Safe Mode recovery options, such as Rebuild Database as they don't work in this instance).

I had no trouble, but I haven't replaced my HD and I may have just been lucky, so even if you haven't replaced your HD, it is probably a good idea to wait (given the very serious nature of the failure).

ThinkPad T61 (2GB / 2.4GhZ dual core),
PS3 (256MB), PS2 (32MB), PS1 (2MB)
Commodore Amiga (512k), Amstrad PC-1512 (512k --> 640k + Nec-v30),
Atari 800XL (64k), Atari 400 (16k), Commodore Vic-20 (3.5k).

The PlayStation 3 Internet Browser Thread
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 52 (2,573 Views)
Level 1

Playstation Staff

mine slim ps3 is the same way n i did try too recovery my ps3 thats 1 TB my ps3 is on n its sitting on this...............Attempting to resolve the issue using the recovery menu, including resorting to a complete reformat, only makes matters worse (after format you just get a black screen!).
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 52 (2,498 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Oh thats absolutely terrible.

There are millions with PS+ now with auto update.

Millions of bricked PS3s ?

If the firmware is bricked you cant use it to roll back either - so what will Sony do now ?

I am away from home and I have PS+ - my PS3 is set to auto update

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 52 (2,471 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I just checked and it seems the update has been taken offline, it is 6.42 here in Derby but no sign of the 4.45 mandatory update, so it seems like Sony have realised what is going on and stopped it, or I live in an update dead zone

zomland1 photo zombieland1.png
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 52 (2,470 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 9

Playstation Staff

this is why you never should use auto update...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My PS3 career don't end in November 2013... Trey for life!
----
>>REMEMBER TO GIVE KUDOS IF YOU LIKE>>> Thumb up!
----

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 52 (2,446 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Auto update isn't an option with PS+, it only downloads the latest firmware ready for you to install manually when you turn on the PS3

Those who've experienced problems choose to install it, their PS3's didn't do it
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 52 (2,353 Views)

Playstation Staff

Your spot on there my friend. I never set anything to automatic, I like to do it all myself regardless of time so I know exactly whats going on...
I Refuse To Tip Toe Through Life Just To Arrive Safely At Deaths Door...

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 52 (2,343 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Waits for inevitable "Firmware doesn't brick consoles" post. :smileywink:

SCEA have pulled the update notification pending investigation, not sure how quick SCEE will be. Caution is advised.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 52 (2,324 Views)
Level 7

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

existenz1 wrote:

Oh thats absolutely terrible.

If the firmware is bricked you cant use it to roll back either - so what will Sony do now ?

Double post, sorry.

You can't roll back but, download the FW to a USB stick, start PS3 in safe mode, install FW though this menu.  It's the only way users affected by this will get past the boot up wavy lines once a revised FW is released.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 52 (2,317 Views)
0 Kudos