07 Jul 2013

Playstation Staff

Recover Data from Corrupted (YLOD) PS3 SATA

3 Replies 572 Views Created 07-07-2013

Hello guys (and girls),

So a couple of months ago my PS3 (unfortunately) experienced its first YLOD. At first I didn't know how to fix it, but then I stumbled upon some basic YLOD guides. Generally they solve the YLOD problem through thermal paste, reflowing or electronic flux (read: a compound to enable better soldering) solutions. At moment of speaking, I have successfully repaired 4+ YLODs. However, after an YLOD fix, your PS3 nevertheless lives for a maximum of 10 to 15 hrs. Somehow, I had a lot of luck during the last YLODs, because the PS3 was never saving data on the 500GB SATA on the moment of YLOD (crash).
During the last YLOD, the PS3 was saving data on the 500GB SATA on the moment of YLOD, which has become corrupted. Obviously, when I try to reinstall the SATA in the (already) fixed PS3, it detects the corrupted data and instantaneously asks to format the SATA, with the result that I would lose ALL of my save files from the last 4 years. My general question is thus if there is a method to backup/recover the game files on the corrupted PS3 SATA without having it formatted first.

What I've already been trying is to connect the SATA to the PC using a special adapter.
--> http://www.digitus.info/typo3temp/pics/bcd356e104.jpg
Via Disk Management, it is then possible to observe the SATA but you can't access the (RAW) data...unless you format it first. After this attempt, I tried to access the data using Zero Assumption Recovery 9.2 (which is a freely available data recovery system). It took +-1.5hrs/100GB to attempt recovery, which ultimately failed.
With this in mind, my additional question is if someone knows a far more better recovery software which would allow me to access the SATA data and make a legit PS3 backup of it.
Thanks in advance for the help!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4 (572 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: Recover Data from Corrupted (YLOD) PS3 SATA

What exacly are you trying to recover?, also it might actually be courrupt.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4 (512 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

The chance of the SATA being corrupt is fairly high, because the PS3 was writing data on it on the moment of YLOD. That's also why my PS3 can't access the SATA anymore (if it wouldn't have become corrupt, the PS3 wouldn't ask to format it and the PS3 would access it without problems). Now I would like to recover as much data as possible from the SATA, but above all game data/save files. The SATA contains practically all of my save files from the last 3 years (last backup was years ago), so I'm searching for a way to access the SATA data or back it up without having to format it.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4 (489 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Luckily, I live in the US, so when mine had ylod last year and also failed to play Discs, I sent it here:

http://www.fixmyplaystation.com/?gclid=COrj8vrinbgCFdKj4AodH2AASg

Because it had other issues too, it took a little longer than it states, but I am very pleased with the results

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4 (483 Views)
0 Kudos