21 Jun 2012
By jhokz

Playstation Staff

Software Upgrade 4.11...more like a downgrade

3 Replies 159 Views Created 21-06-2012

Eversince I downloaded the new software, my PS3 slim has now decided it will stop working. Can't play anymore and until. How to I revert back to the previous software version when everything was working fine. I thought 'Restore PS3 System' will do the job. Not only did it deleted all my game files (which is expected), I still ended up with the same system version. PLEASE I badly need help with this.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4 (159 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Re: Software Upgrade 4.11...more like a downgrade

You cannot go back to earlier firmware. The firmware change wouldn't have caused the problems.

Restore file system will only remove data that is corrupted. Possibly your hdd is failing.

You haven't stated what exactly happens when you try and play anything.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4 (156 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

That's the problem, I can't play anything anymore. FIFA12 is the only game I've been playing since late last year, and I upgraded the system to 4.11 it stopped playing the disc. Bought 2 new games today and it will start loading disc up showing safety crap about PS Move and thats as far as it will go.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4 (155 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

If may be a failing Blu-Ray drive but, as the games start up, I'd still say the hdd is the problem.

How important is the data on the hdd? You could try a backup, reformat hdd and restore. That will take a long time and won't necessarily fix it. I'd copy the saves to a memory stick/(online storage if you have PS+) just in case the restore fails.

Do you have another hdd you can try first? That will determine whether it's the original hdd that's causing the problem. If you have already upgraded the drive you might still have the original drive. Note, if you use a hdd that wasn't previously formatted in the same PS3 it will be formatted.

The original hdd can be put back (without formatting) if required.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4 (151 Views)
0 Kudos