02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Accepted Solution

Stuck in system update loop- error 8002F1F0

70 Replies 50,748 Views Created 30-10-2009

We just got our new PS3 online for first time tonight. So far, so good. It wanted to do a system software update- sounds good, OK. At 42% on the system update progress bar, it stopped and threw up the following error message: "An error occurred during the update operation. Contact technical support." The error number is 8002F1F0. I reset the PS3, but when I powered back on it automatically went back into the update routine, with no option to get out of it, and stopped at the same point as before. This happened several times.

Can anyone advise me on how to bypass this and get back to the PS3 menu, so that I can do a manual system software update? Much appreciated.

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16
44%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
greenday2theresc
Accepted Solution

First things first....

1. Download the latest version of the PlayStation 3 Update (to a USB / External Device has to be formatted to [FAT32]).

2. Remove PlayStation 3 Hard Drive (PS3 / HDD).

3. Place HDD into a computer for reformatting process.

4. Now use Windows / Ubuntu... or any formatting tool and format it to (FAT32) (for Ubuntu: When formatting change it from [ext32] to [Unformatted]).

5. After it being completed remove the PS3 HDD.

6. Place HDD back into PS3.

7. Go into Recovery Options / Safe Mode.

8. Now choose #6 (System Update) and then follow the instructions it'll ask u to reformat it do it and then following will be the installing of the latest version for PS3

and... BAM! it'll work and won't go back into that updating loop, Enjoy!

(these are the steps i had to take in order  for it to be fixed)

View solution in original post

Fixing the update loop (8002F1F0)

[ Edited ]
/16

JAVATTALLA

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
JAVATTALLA
Accepted Solution

So when did you put your hard drive back in place? after you unpluged your PS3? or ? please let me kow

0 Kudos

Betreff: Re: Betreff: Stuck in system update loop- error 8002F1F0

/16

jared0327

62%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
jared0327
Accepted Solution

I put the HDD back in before I powered the PS3 the first time.  The time the battery was still disconnected.  After that, you dont have to actually remove the HDD again.

And as for Genuine.  I am sorry that it did not work.  If I can run accross anything else too try I will let you know.  I know that it worked for me and so far, I have gotten 5 others that reported that it worked but 2 or 3 that it did not.  Dont give up, im sure something will revive it.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

galeETR

22%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
galeETR
Accepted Solution

Hi, i'm from Argentina. I had the same problem but with the 3.0 version. Y did the same you did, and it keeps in 99%, but then when i restarted  it stop again in 44%. Any idea?

0 Kudos

/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TTDegs
Accepted Solution
failure at 44% ish often seems to go hand in hand with a network card (wired and or wireless) problem - are (were) you able to connect to a network?
0 Kudos

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

/16

THEVIRUS20

41%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
THEVIRUS20
Accepted Solution

Yeah I get up to 44%-45% and then I get the error 8002F1F9.

I got the PS3 from a kid that did not have the internet. Now when I got it it had the error. He said he got it when he tried to play MW2.

I kinda get somewhere with Elbex91's solution.  Only thing is when I get to the install and cancel the ps3 always starts at the recovery/update screen again always asking me to insert a media storage device with 2.60 or later.  Yet another loop.

When I try to update from this screen I get to the 44-45% and hit the error again.  Is this hardware based?  Could it be the Hard drive?

Sorry if I am making no sence.

0 Kudos

/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TTDegs
Accepted Solution
I'm still thinking network card issue, rather than hard drive.

Is the warranty sticker still in place?
knocking the network card loose when doing a DIY YLOD 'fix' is a favourite mistake to make...
0 Kudos

/16

THEVIRUS20

41%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
THEVIRUS20
Accepted Solution

Still in place.  Its out of warranty.  What does the network card look like?  Might replace it or try and fix it.

0 Kudos

/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TTDegs
Accepted Solution
google images are probably your best bet, as it's not easy to describe in words! :D

Having said that, if the warranty sticker is still there, it hasn't been opened.
Which means that either it has failed, or that isn't actually the problem.

Either way, opening a PS3 and poking around inside is NOT something I would recommend that anyone does.

Not only is there a risk of making things worse (static onto the motherboard? BIG no no!), but more importantly there are lots of sharp bits in there, not to mention the PSU - the risk of injury is not inconsequential.

You're in a similar (though obviously not same) position as having a YLOD, and your options are largely the same.

Have a read of my YLOD thread (linked from my sig line below) :)
0 Kudos

/16

THEVIRUS20

41%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
THEVIRUS20
Accepted Solution

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

THEVIRUS20

41%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
THEVIRUS20
Accepted Solution

TTDegs...you da man....Sorted.

Now, how I fixed it:

1. Tried everything from this thread and brrrppptttt..nada.

2. Listened to other people who had this problem and looked for the similarities in each persons problem.  Also thanks to TTDegs I connected the dots.

If you switch your PS3 on and it goes into the update loop, does your controller connect by bluetooth?

If not then it is the wireless card. This is wireless as well as bluetooth.

My PS3 is out of warranty and decided that I would have a look.  Also did not fancy paying £145 for a refurb.

I took it out gave it a clean and hay presto.....Up and running.

It started to update got the 45% and then shot to 100%.  Screen went blank and then started up in the main screen.  The first pic is the new board and the second pic is the location.New style board.jpgLocation.JPG

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

THEVIRUS20

41%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
THEVIRUS20
Accepted Solution

Just so you know.  The second picture is of the old card but the location of the old and the new are the same.  Also the wireless card has the USB sockets on it....Both have the wire coming from the board.  The wire is one of the wifi antenna, I m sure it has 2.  Please make sure, if you try this, to reconnect this before putting it back together.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TTDegs
Accepted Solution
nice one! :)

glad you got it sorted :)
0 Kudos

/16

Tristian7Fire

22%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Tristian7Fire
Accepted Solution

Hi everybody,

I am still surprised at how many posts there are of thise error that don't have a proper answer on how to fix it. I read through the posts and saw that some of you cleaned out the entire system, took it all apart and put it together. This worked because the RIBBON CABLE TO THE BD-ROM Drive was loose. Re ajusting it to make it fit securely could eisily fix this problem. If that does not work, then you will have to get/order a new cable, cheap ($2-5). One of these WILL fix your problem. This error is caused when it tries to update the software built into the BD-ROM drive and cannot acess it because of the loose or broken connection between the BD-ROM player and the motherboard. PLEASE NOTE: Trying to preform this update without all parts of the PS3 hooked up and properly secured will result in failture each and every time.

Foreward this on...

Tristian7Fire

0 Kudos

/16
44%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
greenday2theresc
Accepted Solution

First things first....

1. Download the latest version of the PlayStation 3 Update (to a USB / External Device has to be formatted to [FAT32]).

2. Remove PlayStation 3 Hard Drive (PS3 / HDD).

3. Place HDD into a computer for reformatting process.

4. Now use Windows / Ubuntu... or any formatting tool and format it to (FAT32) (for Ubuntu: When formatting change it from [ext32] to [Unformatted]).

5. After it being completed remove the PS3 HDD.

6. Place HDD back into PS3.

7. Go into Recovery Options / Safe Mode.

8. Now choose #6 (System Update) and then follow the instructions it'll ask u to reformat it do it and then following will be the installing of the latest version for PS3

and... BAM! it'll work and won't go back into that updating loop, Enjoy!

(these are the steps i had to take in order  for it to be fixed)

Fixing the update loop (8002F1F0)

[ Edited ]
/16

EOSCWSEABEE

42%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
EOSCWSEABEE
Accepted Solution

THEVIRUS20,

Are you saying that if my wireless controllers don't work that I need to buy a new wireless card and install it. Did you replace yours or just clean it and make sure everything was connected. Also will a working wireless card get me out of the update loop so my install can complete. I have no problem on the update it goes to 100% but the install times out at 52%. My controllers just stopped working one day and had to be plugged in to use. That same time I also could not connect online so the wireless card makes sense. But then a few weeks later it started working again. I see the picture you posted but I'm not quite sure what is the wireless card. Not to electronic savy when it comes to tearing things like this apart. Any information you have that could help I would appreciate it. 

0 Kudos

/16

JRISHAWNE3

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
JRISHAWNE3
Accepted Solution

At the sony call center---they know nothing about how to resolve this. they just want to sell u another refurb so u can have the same issue. and im not having luck with your method right now. but i will keep trying

0 Kudos

/16

texasfireball

22%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
texasfireball
Accepted Solution

I found a better solution that should work for all.

First... You must have your original hard drive.

Have you original hard drive installed in your console.

Have the latest version of system software (3.56 as of this writing) on a flash drive ready to go.

Start your system in safe mode

Great tutorial here:

http://community.us.playstation.com/message/695272

Use the File Restore tool. Reboot if it doesn't automatically.

Now when I came back up All my movies, music, pictures.... everything was there. All gaming files, downloaded material... everything.

But... My system would not wirelessly hook up to my router. It couldn't find it and my router couldn't find my ps3.

After exhaustive research and nothing working, I did what I did not want to do.

I went back into safe mode, put my flash drive in and used the system restore utility to install the dreaded 3.56 software.

Viola!

All I had to was go into my network settings and have the ps3 scan for my router.

Back up and running and waiting for version 3.57 before reattempting to upgrade my hard drive.

I hope this solution works as well for you as it did for me.

Cheers!

0 Kudos

Betreff: Re: Betreff: Stuck in system update loop- error 8002F1F0 shou

/16

Lutonant

30%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Lutonant
Accepted Solution

Sorry for replying to an old post.

Thanks for this, it worked and I have a workable OS but the blueray doesnt work. 8002f1f0 at 37% was the error I had.

The main reason for posting is I found that if you cant get the PUP you need from http://www.eurasia.nu/wiki/index.php/Ps3OsRels you could try the wayback machine http://web.archive.org/web/

It didnt download to the UK at night and failed 3 times but worked in the morning.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

originaldukes1

37%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
originaldukes1
Accepted Solution

TEAAAAA ITS FINALLY FIXED GOOD JOB SONY HOPEFULLY ALL MY INFO IS STILL IN TACT

0 Kudos

Re: Betreff: Stuck in system update loop- error 8002F1F0

/16

jared0327

62%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
jared0327
Accepted Solution

I had the same issue with this. Sony tech support wanted me to send it to fix it.  My system is close to a launch version so no warranty.  The issue was their FIRMWARE update that Modern Warfare wanted.  Anyway, since my system is out of warranty, and being in the IT field for over 10 years, I am not afraid to take something apart.

DO NOT DO THIS IF YOUR SYSTEM IS UNDER WARRANTY OR YOU EVER PLAN TO SEND TO SONY because you will have to remove the Warranty Sticker:

With that said, I had to take the PS3 apart (Instructions can be found on google).  I removed the battery that is on the left side of the board, opposite side of the BLURAY Drive, shorted the 2 battery PINS on the board.  Left the battery off, hooked everything back up and turned it on.  It did a fast update, then went into the Initial system set up.  It got it out of the loop, 50 times I got the loop.  Now my PS3 starts up without any type of issue.  I put the battery back in and no other issues.

I am sure that SONY will remove this post, I can only hope that someone who dont have a lot of money sees it first before its gone.

Below: Word Doc I had typed up to post

________________________________________________________________________________

First let me tell you what had happened.  Error 8002f1f9, 8002f1f0 and 8002f042

My son got Modern Warfare 2 for x-mas and when I attempted to load it, it required a Firmware update that was on the CD.  From what I understand, it copies the update to something on board.

Well, after it got to about 55%, it gave an error code 8002f1f9.  I removed the HDD during the update the second time and it got to 99% and stopped.  After a long while, it gave error 8002F042.  Of course Sonys online error tool didn’t have these.

I called Sony and after trying to get me into the Hidden Recovery Console, not letting it come up, Sony told me that I would have to send it in.  It would cost x amount of money I dont have.  The PS3 is close to a launch version and I have had no issues with it until this update.  Then of course Sony tech tried to say that it was something that I did, maybe a power issue.  The PS3 is on a UPS so that’s not it.  I have been in the IT field for over 10 years and this guy started explaining that he knows that a Firmware update did not cause this.

All the PS3 was doing was booting into the system update and giving an error every time.  Not letting me do anything but watch it error and start in the update mode over and over.  Our thoughts were to clear the FLASH and loop with JTAG and load an older FIRMWARE version.  But I was finally able to get into the Hidden Recovery Menu, formatted the HDD, told it to do a System Restore and it also gave an error, this time with a Serious error (no other details provided).

The FIX:

Thinking of anything to un-brick the PS3, I was about to give up.  I took it apart thinking to get it ready for the JTAG fix BUT…  Here is what I did instead first.  I removed the battery.  A little, on mine at least, blue standard battery.  After that, we shorted the 2 pins on the board that the battery was connected to.  DON’T SHORT THE BATTERY ITSELF.  Anyway, we got the idea from working on PCs.  To clear the BIOS or BOOT password and settings on some systems, removal of the CMOS battery and short the 2 battery PINS.  Anyway, I left the battery unplugged and hooked everything back up to at least turn it on.  It then started the system setup after a short update.  It did update the version to 3.14 so I think that it was just finalizing the install.  But there was nothing hanging the update at this point and started the initial system setup.  Issue resolved.

I put the COD game back in and though it now requested a SOFTWARE update instead of a FIRMWARE update, it took it without any type of issues.  My formally bricked system is now working and playing fine.  If your PS3 is bricked by Sonys failed attempt of any update, try this first before you toss it or sell it.  Then again, if you don’t want to pay the cost Sony wants to look at it and it is bricked, it will not hurt you to do so.  There are many places online to find instructions on how to take your PS3 apart, all I am doing is telling you what got my PS3 out of the Update loop that it was in.  I was told that I should offer this fix for sell, but I will not.  I will accept any and all donations through PAYPAL (ID jared9901) though if this helps you save your system.

NOTE: This should only be used if your system is OUT OF WARRENTY and you have no intention of sending it back and giving your money to SONY.  I cannot and will not be held responsible for any thing that happens if you try this fix. Please note that as long as you follow the directions on taking your PS3 apart correctly and the shorting of the battery, NOTHING will happen to your system other then a possible CHEAP fix.  Just don’t be in a hurry taking it apart or skip steps.  I have provided you with the fix, the idea of searching for instructions on how to take it apart and etc.  All I am telling you is how I fixed the issue that SONY caused and refuses to admit too.

0 Kudos

Re: Stuck in system update loop- error 8002F1F0

/16

genuine383

33%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
genuine383
Accepted Solution

How did you short the two pins where the battery was connected to?

0 Kudos

Re: Stuck in system update loop- error 8002F1F0

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel