27 Apr 2009
By: tastethepavement

2 Posts
Accepted Solution

The PS3 is on, but it won't show on the TV screen?

53 Replies 74,847 Views Created 27-04-2009

I'm able to turn the PS3 on.. I've got it to work on an HD TV with the HDMI cables, with no problems..

but when I take it with a regular tv using the AV cables, it doesn't seem to work.. i mean, like i said.. the PS3 is on.. but nothing is showing up on the screen.. can anybody help me?

I've got it to work on this TV before, which is why its frustrating..

if anybody can help, it would be greatly appreciated..

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 54 (74,847 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Re: The PS3 is on, but it won't show on the TV screen?

Have you changed the AV settings from HDMI output to the output for the standard tv?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 54 (74,839 Views)
0 Kudos

do you mean i'd have to go back to the hd tv..

go under the settings and switch it like that?

cuz like i said.. its nothing is showing up on the screen on the reg tv when i do it..

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 54 (74,836 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Yep buddy! you will have to go back to the hd to change the settings back to standard av cables, it is a bit of a pain but it has caught me out once or twice.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 54 (74,868 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

right when you had your ps3 you set it up for hd with hdmi once you've set it up its save with those settings, so when you take your ps3 and use a normal tv the picture goes blank. what you need to do its set it up for normal tv before you unplug it. If not you could hold down the power sencer till you hear 5 beeps that should reset it on any tv........hope that helps you
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 54 (74,847 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

I'm having the same problem now. I've just tried to turn my ps3 on and all I can see is a black screen. anyone have any idea what's up with it, had it for about a year and had no problems before today.

Not got a hd tv either so don't know what it could be.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 54 (74,559 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

NCFCchris wrote:

I'm having the same problem now. I've just tried to turn my ps3 on and all I can see is a black screen. anyone have any idea what's up with it, had it for about a year and had no problems before today.

Not got a hd tv either so don't know what it could be.

either you have a problem, or the PS3 has simply forgotten what source it should be using.

to solve the latter, try the 'hold the power for a few seconds until 5 bleeps' as mentioned in the above post - this resets all video output to default.

if that doesn't work, try the PS3 on a different TV - in case your TV is the problem.

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 54 (74,556 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Thanks for your reply, i have taken my ps3 downstairs, same problem downstairs aswell...have tried the holding down the power button aswell but to no joy..starting to think it's the ps3 which is the problem but i don't see why, not happened before and it hasn't been treated badly for it to suddenly do this..
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 54 (74,554 Views)
0 Kudos

I have the same problem with my PS3. I have it configured to my HDMI at my place. I took it to my dad's (forgot to switch back to AV) and plugged it in. The socket sparked when I plugged in the power cable, so I didn't think anything of it. I brought it back home to set it to AV, and I didn't have a picture, or audio. I tried doing the power sensor override, and nothing. I went out, bought new AV cables, a new HDMI cable, and a new power cable. I turned it on, and I got audio, but no video. I plug in the new HDMI cable, nothing.  I unplug it and I lose audio on AV. I kept trying the power sensor override, and NOTHING. PLEASE HELP!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 54 (73,854 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

I'm sorry, but despite reading that a few times, I got lost :smileysad:

could you list what works and what doesn't work when connecting with AV, and then again (separately) when using HDMI?

And are you doing the video settings reset in between swapping the leads? (from standby, hold front power button until 2 beeps)

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 54 (73,852 Views)
0 Kudos