15 May 2012

Playstation Staff

Transfering data from one ps3 to another

6 Replies 778 Views Created 15-05-2012

Me and my brother shared a ps3 but always argued over who went on it so i have now got my own one.

I have managed to transfer the trophies over to my new one and have found a way to transfer the game data across by connecting them with an ethernet cable. If i do this will it delete the data from my brothers ps3 and then put it on mine or will it stay on my brothers and copy onto mine? please can someone help me.thanks!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7 (778 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: Transfering data from one ps3 to another

If you do a data/game transfer i 'think' that it would mess up your bro's ps3, as i believe the one you transfer stuff from Will be formated after completion... i don't believe you can pick and choose what gets copied or moved, it just moves everything... But i am Not 100% about your brothers being wiped clean, so best wait for more advice, There Is a few posts about this allready on This site, prob under tech-help if not here... Also it's been known to take between 10 to 15 hours to complete this once started.. Just check the rest of site and you'll get better info.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7 (768 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Sorry for double post.

I meant to say check ps3 tech-help... as this is psn tech-help.

Also if your worried about copying your saves you can use a usb flash drive for most of them, but if you have locked ones the only way to move those is to join ps-plus for a bit... thats if you can't use data transfer.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7 (765 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

The entire system would be copied over, this would wipe everything from the destination system first though. You may find some items only present on one/the other PS3, though most things should transfer.

@chrisandsheva, this is a general tech help board. We help everyone except PS Home which has it's own enormous section :smileytongue:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7 (756 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Data transfer moves data.

Backup/Restore copies data. Copy protected items will be lost as you are restoring to a different PS3. Alternatively copy the non-copy protected saves via a USB stick.

PS+ online storage would work but there is a 24 hour time limit before copy protected items could be copied back.

Trophy data/purchases/saves etc will be tied to the original user name.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7 (745 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

@ strangeplaice 

This may well be a general tech help board.. erm help everyone.. ?... But IF you would just try to read the posts and maybe let it sink in for a minute or two then you may Not feel the need to add irrelevant ps's at the end of your replies... ie, the OP seemed desperate for a fast resolution, i only advised him/her to check the ps3 tech help board as well as this one, which 'strangely' does or did show up as 'psn tech help' from the main menu, Still i seen that you managed to provide the OP with the link to best answer... But only after they asked/joined the other similar thread here,,, erm dead to slim transfer, or something similar.

btw.. i 'noticed' that 14 ppl had read this OPs help request But were either to busy or didn't know of any answers to post, So i thought i would try to offer my limited advice on this, which i hope was both harmless and better than nothing.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7 (727 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

Since the OP this board is now PS3 Tech Help. They were restructured a few hours ago. It's only irrelevant now as the situation has changed.

My point was that you were mentioning two sections that didn't exist at the time. There were the Solutions pages which have since been removed and merged so that they're easier to use.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7 (721 Views)
0 Kudos