14 Jun 2012
By ianiva
Playstation Staff

Transferring data from old PS3 hdd to new PS3

12 Replies 4,761 Views Created 14-06-2012

Hello everyone. Even though I have read other similar topics, I have a couple of questions that I can't seem to be able to find the answer anywhere. If I connect my old ps3 hdd to a sata to usb converter and then connect it to my new ps3, will it recognise it and will I be able to transfer the data? My old PS3 got the usual flashing red light and I'm very frustrated with Sony that the only apparent way to transfer data is to get the old ps3 working. Also, if I buy a repaired ps3 motherboard from ebay, will my old ps3 still be able to recognise the hdd or is it synced with the motherboard somehow?

Thank you very much for your help!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13 (4,761 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

Re: Transferring data from old PS3 hdd to new PS3

Unfortunately not. PS3 Hard disks can only be read in their own PS3. It's paired to the motherboard so if either are swapped the drive will be formatted prior to use.

The only way you can transfer it at all is with the Backup utility, or the data transfer utility. Both of which require the old one to work in its current state.

Sorry :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13 (4,760 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I see, thank you again! This really sucks about Sony, I must say. They should either repair all the ylod ps3s for free since it was their fault or find a way for us to transfer our data other than the well known ones. We are not to blame for any of this and yet, we are the ones that pay the consequences. Hopefully Sony checks this space and they actually care so they do something!

Anyway, thanks again!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13 (4,757 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

Unfortunately, hardware breaks. And if it's out of warranty then there's nothing anyone can do unless you want to pay for a replacement. :smileysad:

If it's under warranty, then they'll replace it for you, or if you have warranty from a store they can replace it too.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13 (4,753 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Definitely, it does break but it's different if it breaks in a few ones because it means the hardware isn't defective. It just happened. But if it breaks in nearly every single first generation PS3, it means it was a construction error and Sony must own up to it. It's the same with car manufacturers doing the recalls.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13 (4,750 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

The thing is, unlike with consoles like the Xbox 360, the Yellow Light of Death error light occurs for a variety of reasons, rather than for an individual issue. It's designed to be a message effectively saying to the user, "Look, something is wrong. You can't fix it and if I were able to explain it you wouldn't be interested as you can't fix it anyway."

The actual proportion of first generation users who have issues is a lot lower than people are led to believe. The official statistic is somewhere around 2%. (Compared to the Xbox 54%)

Your opinion can also be influenced by where you spend more time. If you only browse the PS3 support forum here you could be led to believe that every PS3 ever made has broken. Then when you look in PS3 games you might think that only 1 PS3 has ever broken. :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13 (4,748 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Since we have started a discussion, let me first of all ask if you're working for Sony or if you're just a user like I am?

Other than that, as far as I know the problem seems to be located at either the CPU or the GPU. Now, since it's a manufacturing fault, Sony could just replace those two and the problem would be fixed. If not, they should somehow find a way for the hdds coming from those systems to be able to transfer their data to other hdds. Regarding the problem numbers, my opinion is formed based on both what I read around the internet and also friends and people I know that have had the same problem. I don't know what the percentage is but if 2% is out of 200 million PS3s, we're talking about a massive number!

Also, at the end of the day, we are all customers that had the same problem and we need a solution for it. In my opinion, customer's should be respected and must always be the number one priority. Sony's solution basically is "either buy a new PS3 or bring us the broken one and we'll give you a repaired one" but no word about our saved data. Unless if the reason why they do this is for all of us to get a PS Plus subscription and pay even more money!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13 (4,738 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

ianiva wrote:

Since we have started a discussion, let me first of all ask if you're working for Sony or if you're just a user like I am?

I'm not a Sony employee! :smileytongue: Their messages are blue and have a  logo next to their name. The logo I have is the Beta Trial Member logo  which means I'm a regular member, but I get to test games before they're ready for release. More info on Beta Trial Members is available here.

ianiva wrote:

Other than that, as far as I know the problem seems to be located at either the CPU or the GPU. Now, since it's a manufacturing fault, Sony could just replace those two and the problem would be fixed. If not, they should somehow find a way for the hdds coming from those systems to be able to transfer their data to other hdds. Regarding the problem numbers, my opinion is formed based on both what I read around the Internet and also friends and people I know that have had the same problem. I don't know what the percentage is but if 2% is out of 200 million PS3s, we're talking about a massive number!

The YLOD can be caused by numerous problems. Most people with the GPU issues experienced this problem at the same time. It's unlikely that yours had this problem too, but not impossible. Though as the legal requirement for them to replace it has passed, they can say it's not their problem.

The data transfer restrictions are a legality, rather than a problem. If they didn't enforce this, then there would be no data transfer utilities at all.

The 2% is within the acceptable range of failures for any company tbh and significant changes have been made since then. They can't be expected to cover against any cause of YLOD for the entire life of the console as it'd be far too expensive. The same goes for your TV or fridge, PC etc. It's gonna break eventually, and if it's out of warranty you need to buy another.

ianiva wrote:

Also, at the end of the day, we are all customers that had the same problem and we need a solution for it. In my opinion, customer's should be respected and must always be the number one priority. Sony's solution basically is "either buy a new PS3 or bring us the broken one and we'll give you a repaired one" but no word about our saved data. Unless if the reason why they do this is for all of us to get a PS Plus subscription and pay even more money!

Customers, for all companies are the number one priority as without them money stops immediately. D:

The problem is that customers tend to expect too much from the companies. If they were your office IT department and your PC broke they'd get you another.

However they're a multinational enormous corporation who have to balance their books at the end of each year, and for the last few years they've been making enormous losses. Giving free consoles away out of warranty would annihilate the company and there'd be no more PlayStations.

They may appear in ways to be a faceless corporative giant, but at least they have communities such as this which allow support, chat and competitioins to be arranged and made. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13 (4,733 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Well, I wouldn't ask for a brand new console but for my broken one to be repaired free of charge. Car companies are massive corporations as well and they do recall cars and repair them free of charge when they find out something is defective even if the car is out of warranty. And still, that number of cars is very small so within the acceptable limit. The way I see it, it just has to do with the company's culture. An example (again from the car industry) is Ferrari vs Lamborghini. When some (I think 11) 458s started catching fire the company not only recalled the ones that hadn't yet but they replaced five of the destroyed ones that they used for investigation free of charge! That cost Ferrari a lot of money but because they really care about their customers they did it. On the other hand, when some Lamborghinis were involved in bizarre incidents with the car's rear wheel coming off, the company did nothing about it and said it wasn't a manufacturing error.

Anyway, as I said before I would be equally happy if the company found a way for all affected customers to be able to transfer their data.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13 (4,716 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

theres a small difference. a car if not made properly can kill you. a PS3 wont, unless you have taken it apart and plugged it in while touching all the LIVE parts.

i do agree with you though. everyone of my friends who had the 60GB model, ALL of them came down with the YLOD fault. one of them had an extended warrenty on it and sony still refused to repair it. they did however offer a replacement.

which brings me to my next point, yes sony "claim" to have mad losses, but anyone with half a brain can work out, repairing a console would be FAR cheaper than sending a replacement out. they have to cover the costs for the console, postage etc, whereas if it was just a repair it needed, they could arrange to have it collected, repair it for less than 3% of the consoles prices, and send it back out to the owner.

on watch dog, they investigated that everyone was having the same issue, so the "2%" mentioned above is not true if theres so many compalints that a big orginization has to investiagte it......however, they said that sony DID know of the fault, and showed that they could fix them for a fee. BUT, what they didnt tell you, was sony didnt know how to fix it, infact they were just copying what others where doing online on youtube, by opening th console up, apply heat using a heat gun to the GPU and CPU, with new thermal paste. and they also didnt say that this repair was only temperary. it WOULD happen again.

sony are good at finding cover up stories, iv yet to see them be honest about anything they sell that goes faulty, which is ALOT of items, by which they charge through the roof for in the first place. in my view they only over charge as no one buys there items and thats there way of making up the lost money up. or just to greedy, or both. i always make it a plan NOT to buy anything by sony anymore. iv had 3 ps3 consoles and ALL of them ended up having the YLOD.

the sheer size of sony, the amount of money they DO have, they can afford the very best lawyers, etc so in a way there like bullies, they think because there so big they cant be taken down. every company has its weak points, for sony its poor customer service.

they dont care about the customers at all. aslong as they get the money they dont give a hoot. look at it this way, if was only "2%" of the consoles that went wrong with the YLOD, then why have they gone to o much trouble making sure the slim consoles dont end up having the same issues. if they were making losses, why have they now got the PSVita, and the NEW slim console even slimmer than the other one?? how can they afford it, there not as "skint" as they claim.

sony know exactly what the weak poiints are before selling any item, they have to test them before selling to amke sure they work, they just hide the important parts from the buyers HOPING we will never find out. but we do. and they dont like it when confronted by it.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13 (3,428 Views)
0 Kudos