• Beta Tester
88%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Accepted Solution

Using the Safe Mode function on your PlayStation 3?

[ Edited ]
72 Replies 230,232 Views edited 17-03-2011

0 Kudos
LABELS:

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
Beta Tester
/16

RabidWalker

• Beta Tester
88%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RabidWalker
Accepted Solution

RabidWalker wrote:

Safe Mode:

The option to use Safe Mode on the PlayStation 3 was introduced if a problem occurs where it will no longer start up normally.

To use this feature the console will need to have the System Software update 2.60 (or later).

When to Use Safe Mode?

• When starting up the PlayStation 3, and the XMB menu no longer appears (you may see a wavy line on the background instead).
  • When the PlayStation 3 is started up, nothing appears on screen.
  • When the PlayStation 3 is started up and you encounter the following message ‘The Hard disk’s file system is corrupted and will be restored’. When selecting ‘OK’ the system restores and restarts, however the same message appears.
  • When the PlayStation 3 is started up and you encounter the following message ‘The Hard disk’s database will be rebuilt’. When selecting ‘OK’ the system begins the operation and then fails (stopping the restoration of the HDD).
  • There is an issue after the PlayStation 3 update process is started, or a rebuilding of the database occurs.

Safe Mode procedure:

1)    Ensure the PlayStation 3 is in standby mode (where the red light is apparent), and then turn the console off at the mains switch.

2)    Turn the mains power on, then while in standby touch and hold the power button.

3)    Keep your finger pressed on the power button (after 5 seconds you will hear a beep).

4)    After 10 seconds of holding your finger on the power button, you will hear a second beep and the console will shut down (you can remove your finger).

5)    Touch and hold the power button again.

6)    Again hold your finger down on the button until you hear another beep after 5 seconds.

7)    A number of seconds after this you will hear a double beep- you can remove your finger.

8)    You will be prompted to plug your controller in and press the PS button on your controller. After doing so you will access the Safe Mode menu with a number of options.

Safe Mode Option Screen:

1. Restart System

Selecting this option will start up the system normally- It will also allow you to exit the Safe Mode Menu.

1. Restore Default Settings

Selecting this option will restore Default settings on your console (when starting the unit you will be prompted to set time, time zone etc). This option will also delete your PlayStation Network account information from the system.

Your User information will be deleted and restored- the indicator will be an asterix by your username e.g. *RabidWalker.

When logging into your user you will encounter no issues with disc based games. However when attempting to play PSN downloaded games you may encounter the message:

‘To access the system, you must activate the system.

Go to [PlayStation Network] > [Account Management] to activate this system. (80029514). ’

Follow the instruction to activate your PlayStation 3 to play downloaded games (if the system is activated, deactivate and reactivate the system)

1. Restore File System

This option will begin a process to repair data on your Hard Disk Drive. Therefore it will check for any corrupted data and try and recover this. It the data cannot be recovered it may be erased to ensure that it does not interfere with the operation of the PlayStation 3.

1. Rebuild Database

If issues continue to persist and you select this option please note that data will be removed during this process.

The following information will removed:

-          Playlists

-          User changes to Information Screens

-          User changes to Picture under Photos

-          Video Thumbnails

-          Video Playback History

-          Video Resume Information

This process may take same time to complete

1. Restore PS3 System

The option to restore PS3 system is the same as the ‘quick format’ option on the XMB menu. It will reformat the HDD, removing all data and restoring the Hard drive to its original state.

1. System Update

Selecting this option will install the PlayStation 3 Update but only if the update is on an external media storage device plugged into the console.

This option can be used if any issues are encountered with the installation of the System software update.

If you have any queries regarding this or any other issues please PM me or catch me on Twitter

@RabidWalker

Rabid :smileyhappy:

View solution in original post

Re: How you can use the Safe Mode menu if I have an issue with your PlayStation 3?

[ Edited ]

Beta Tester
/16

RabidWalker

• Beta Tester
88%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RabidWalker
Accepted Solution

RabidWalker wrote:

Safe Mode:

The option to use Safe Mode on the PlayStation 3 was introduced if a problem occurs where it will no longer start up normally.

To use this feature the console will need to have the System Software update 2.60 (or later).

When to Use Safe Mode?

• When starting up the PlayStation 3, and the XMB menu no longer appears (you may see a wavy line on the background instead).
  • When the PlayStation 3 is started up, nothing appears on screen.
  • When the PlayStation 3 is started up and you encounter the following message ‘The Hard disk’s file system is corrupted and will be restored’. When selecting ‘OK’ the system restores and restarts, however the same message appears.
  • When the PlayStation 3 is started up and you encounter the following message ‘The Hard disk’s database will be rebuilt’. When selecting ‘OK’ the system begins the operation and then fails (stopping the restoration of the HDD).
  • There is an issue after the PlayStation 3 update process is started, or a rebuilding of the database occurs.

Safe Mode procedure:

1)    Ensure the PlayStation 3 is in standby mode (where the red light is apparent), and then turn the console off at the mains switch.

2)    Turn the mains power on, then while in standby touch and hold the power button.

3)    Keep your finger pressed on the power button (after 5 seconds you will hear a beep).

4)    After 10 seconds of holding your finger on the power button, you will hear a second beep and the console will shut down (you can remove your finger).

5)    Touch and hold the power button again.

6)    Again hold your finger down on the button until you hear another beep after 5 seconds.

7)    A number of seconds after this you will hear a double beep- you can remove your finger.

8)    You will be prompted to plug your controller in and press the PS button on your controller. After doing so you will access the Safe Mode menu with a number of options.

Safe Mode Option Screen:

1. Restart System

Selecting this option will start up the system normally- It will also allow you to exit the Safe Mode Menu.

1. Restore Default Settings

Selecting this option will restore Default settings on your console (when starting the unit you will be prompted to set time, time zone etc). This option will also delete your PlayStation Network account information from the system.

Your User information will be deleted and restored- the indicator will be an asterix by your username e.g. *RabidWalker.

When logging into your user you will encounter no issues with disc based games. However when attempting to play PSN downloaded games you may encounter the message:

‘To access the system, you must activate the system.

Go to [PlayStation Network] > [Account Management] to activate this system. (80029514). ’

Follow the instruction to activate your PlayStation 3 to play downloaded games (if the system is activated, deactivate and reactivate the system)

1. Restore File System

This option will begin a process to repair data on your Hard Disk Drive. Therefore it will check for any corrupted data and try and recover this. It the data cannot be recovered it may be erased to ensure that it does not interfere with the operation of the PlayStation 3.

1. Rebuild Database

If issues continue to persist and you select this option please note that data will be removed during this process.

The following information will removed:

-          Playlists

-          User changes to Information Screens

-          User changes to Picture under Photos

-          Video Thumbnails

-          Video Playback History

-          Video Resume Information

This process may take same time to complete

1. Restore PS3 System

The option to restore PS3 system is the same as the ‘quick format’ option on the XMB menu. It will reformat the HDD, removing all data and restoring the Hard drive to its original state.

1. System Update

Selecting this option will install the PlayStation 3 Update but only if the update is on an external media storage device plugged into the console.

This option can be used if any issues are encountered with the installation of the System software update.

If you have any queries regarding this or any other issues please PM me or catch me on Twitter

@RabidWalker

Rabid :smileyhappy:

Re: How you can use the Safe Mode menu if I have an issue with your PlayStation 3?

[ Edited ]

/16

jimnboys

23%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
jimnboys
Accepted Solution

i have a problem with starting into safe mode, i get nothing, no menu but the system does restart...

i turned my ps3 on yesterday after a 3 week rest from playing it and it started an update, i came back after 10mins and the screen was blank with a green light on the console...

do you know if i can get this fixed on warrenty without having the paperwork, although i do have proof of when i bought it and signing onto the ps network..

any help you can give to save me sending it away for repair would be a great help.

thank you

0 Kudos

/16

btg1117

23%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
btg1117
Accepted Solution

I can get to safe mode no problem, My issue is I'm unable to use my controllers my playstation wont recognise them?

Any ideas

I have tried connecting them with the usb cable and pressing the ps button, the red light just flash.... Then nothing!

Please help!!! 

0 Kudos

/16

leSPICYmeatball

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
leSPICYmeatball
Accepted Solution
I am having the same problem. Just change remotes and keep hitting the ps button. It will disconnect after a few seconds but just press it again. Worked for me! Hope u get it sorted.
0 Kudos

/16

btg1117

23%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
btg1117
Accepted Solution
Thanks for the tip,

Amazon amazed me by letting me return my ps3 after 4 months for a full refund! I did however lose all my saved game data.. Not great! I have now bought a new one and I'm treating it with respect :-)

Regards
0 Kudos

/16

Rival_Murkz

22%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Rival_Murkz
Accepted Solution

btg1117 wrote:

I can get to safe mode no problem, My issue is I'm unable to use my controllers my playstation wont recognise them?

Any ideas

I have tried connecting them with the usb cable and pressing the ps button, the red light just flash.... Then nothing!

Please help!!! 

0 Kudos

/16

usevo8

30%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
usevo8
Accepted Solution

Thanks for your help! You saved my PS3 and a trip to repairer. I was using vidzone for about 1.5 hours and the screen suddenly froze. I couldn't get it to restart properly and keep getting a frozen and then a black screen. Thanks to your tip and i tried to restart it in safe mode and the retore the setting and somehow it's working again now!

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

quinny525

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
quinny525
Accepted Solution

i followed the steps it works fine then when i sign in within a afew seconds it cuts off and gets a red flashing light again i dont know what to do :/

0 Kudos

/16

MojoPlenty

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MojoPlenty
Accepted Solution
So how long is "may take some time". because it has been saying preparing to start for like 6 hours, but the screen isn't frozen or anything. Really any indication as to what is supposed to happen After any of the options are selected wold help me a lot right now.
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

RabidWalker

• Beta Tester
88%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RabidWalker
Accepted Solution

MojoPlenty wrote:
So how long is "may take some time". because it has been saying preparing to start for like 6 hours, but the screen isn't frozen or anything. Really any indication as to what is supposed to happen After any of the options are selected wold help me a lot right now.

Hi Mojo,

The time it takes after each option depends on how big your HDD is, and how much data you have on it. The more data the longer the processes will take. I would expect options 4 to take a little longer as it is rebuilding the database- again this is different for each user.

Rabid

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

/16

SteMachine1982

64%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SteMachine1982
Accepted Solution

Hi Rabidwalker,

I, like quite a few other people over the past four days have had the firmware update break my machine (320gb Slim, 18 months old, not modded in any way and warranty seal never broken - genuinely never had any problems with it).

My question is this - I eventually managed to get the machine to enter Safe Mode, however, none of the options work for me.  I even tried a full system restore and it starts off the process (on the screen where it tells me not to switch the console off) then it restarts the system and gives me the following message:

Cannot Start - The appropriate system storage was not found.

All of the options result in the above response.

I've tried to run the system update from a USB and even that won't work (comes up with error message 8002F003 - information regarding which is extremely limited and I could only find the code on modding sites - as I said I have not touched the hardware or software from a modding/hacking/whatever perspective).

I'm starting to lose my patience with the whole scenario now - is there any other things I could try?

I've removed and reinserted the hard drive as suggested on other parts of this forum.

Thanks,

Ste

0 Kudos

/16

ashriel225

92%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ashriel225
Accepted Solution

I got to safe mode and tried option 3, it sat there for eight hours with no change. The screen just said "Please Wait". I tried option 4 and has been sitting there for three hours as of now. I am going to letting it keep working through my work shift but if it doesn't work after 11 hours I am calling that a fail and will go to try and reset the entire system. Sucks losing all those character hours but I just want to play my system again.

0 Kudos

/16

xGeeorge

42%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
xGeeorge
Accepted Solution
Hey i've got the File system is corrupt problem and i also have an issue with the safe mode, i acces safe mode no problem and the controller no problem my problem is 1 step ahead of it, any option i choose weather it be 2,3,4 or 5 it just says preparing please wait... i've left them on preparing please wait for 5 hours each. HELP ME PLEASE!

MVP
/16

strangeplaice

• MVP
95%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
strangeplaice
Accepted Solution

If safe Mode isn't working then your PS3 has developed a fault and will need to be sent for servicing, or replaced. You can contact Customer Support who can discuss your options with you here.

Sucks when a good PS3 dies :(

0 Kudos

/16

Ging3r_NiNja148

22%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Ging3r_NiNja148
Accepted Solution

hi there, I am only 13 years old and just brought the ps3 that i have been waiting for 4 years.  I just got the red limited edition, super silm 500gb. some how my younger brother stuffed it up and i dont even reach the main menu.   it says that "my system storage has been corrupted press the PS button to restart. if this dosent work you will need to download a storage media". i have tried using the Safe mode but it wont work on my super silm.  some one please help to find a way with out getting me to take it to sony to get it replaced. please help

0 Kudos

MVP
/16

strangeplaice

• MVP
95%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
strangeplaice
Accepted Solution

That doesn't sound promising. If you've tried "Rebuild Database" and "Restore FileSystem", you may need to try the "Restore PS3 System" option which deletes all data on the console. Finally, you can try reinstalling the firmware using the Safe Mode menu.

Should that also fail then you would need to callCustomer Support who will replace it for free if you've had it less than a year.
0 Kudos

/16

iamthecoolest94

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
iamthecoolest94
Accepted Solution

what is the best option for the restoration of a corrupted hard drive? i have tried to restore file system, but i let it prepare for 5 hours yesterday and nothing happened. (it seemed like it was stuck)

0 Kudos

/16

Rashannen

33%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Rashannen
Accepted Solution

Just a quick note to people out there that no matter what you decide to do to the PS3 system, it is a very wise move to make sure that you have a backup before you start.

I myself when I first started having some issues way back in the day remember being told to just go into safe mode and restore file systems and that it was quite harmless. It however felt that my drive was corrupted and went straight into reformatting mode giving me no chances to back up my data beforehand. Lesson learned !

0 Kudos

/16

w3irdf1sh

37%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
w3irdf1sh
Accepted Solution
Cheers for this,im working my way throught it now....no joy as yet though (but got a new 500gb slim version in box next to it but im trying everything to fix this 1 first lol
0 Kudos

/16

Mr_Bunga_Bunga

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Mr_Bunga_Bunga
Accepted Solution

Thanks @RabidWalker, great solution... thought my ps3 had busted for good!!
Cheers!

0 Kudos

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel