17 Mar 2011
By: RabidWalker Beta Tester 3,743 Posts
Level 6
Accepted Solution

Using the Safe Mode function on your PlayStation 3?

[ Edited ]
54 Replies 142,087 Views edited 17-03-2011

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 55 (142,087 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Re: How you can use the Safe Mode menu if I have an issue with your PlayStation 3?

[ Edited ]

RabidWalker wrote:

Safe Mode:

The option to use Safe Mode on the PlayStation 3 was introduced if a problem occurs where it will no longer start up normally.

To use this feature the console will need to have the System Software update 2.60 (or later).

When to Use Safe Mode?

• When starting up the PlayStation 3, and the XMB menu no longer appears (you may see a wavy line on the background instead).
  • When the PlayStation 3 is started up, nothing appears on screen.
  • When the PlayStation 3 is started up and you encounter the following message ‘The Hard disk’s file system is corrupted and will be restored’. When selecting ‘OK’ the system restores and restarts, however the same message appears.
  • When the PlayStation 3 is started up and you encounter the following message ‘The Hard disk’s database will be rebuilt’. When selecting ‘OK’ the system begins the operation and then fails (stopping the restoration of the HDD).
  • There is an issue after the PlayStation 3 update process is started, or a rebuilding of the database occurs.

Safe Mode procedure:

1)    Ensure the PlayStation 3 is in standby mode (where the red light is apparent), and then turn the console off at the mains switch.

2)    Turn the mains power on, then while in standby touch and hold the power button.

3)    Keep your finger pressed on the power button (after 5 seconds you will hear a beep).

4)    After 10 seconds of holding your finger on the power button, you will hear a second beep and the console will shut down (you can remove your finger).

5)    Touch and hold the power button again.

6)    Again hold your finger down on the button until you hear another beep after 5 seconds.

7)    A number of seconds after this you will hear a double beep- you can remove your finger.

8)    You will be prompted to plug your controller in and press the PS button on your controller. After doing so you will access the Safe Mode menu with a number of options.

Safe Mode Option Screen:

1. Restart System

Selecting this option will start up the system normally- It will also allow you to exit the Safe Mode Menu.

1. Restore Default Settings

Selecting this option will restore Default settings on your console (when starting the unit you will be prompted to set time, time zone etc). This option will also delete your PlayStation Network account information from the system.

Your User information will be deleted and restored- the indicator will be an asterix by your username e.g. *RabidWalker.

When logging into your user you will encounter no issues with disc based games. However when attempting to play PSN downloaded games you may encounter the message:

‘To access the system, you must activate the system.

Go to [PlayStation Network] > [Account Management] to activate this system. (80029514). ’

Follow the instruction to activate your PlayStation 3 to play downloaded games (if the system is activated, deactivate and reactivate the system)

1. Restore File System

This option will begin a process to repair data on your Hard Disk Drive. Therefore it will check for any corrupted data and try and recover this. It the data cannot be recovered it may be erased to ensure that it does not interfere with the operation of the PlayStation 3.

1. Rebuild Database

If issues continue to persist and you select this option please note that data will be removed during this process.

The following information will removed:

-          Playlists

-          User changes to Information Screens

-          User changes to Picture under Photos

-          Video Thumbnails

-          Video Playback History

-          Video Resume Information

This process may take same time to complete

1. Restore PS3 System

The option to restore PS3 system is the same as the ‘quick format’ option on the XMB menu. It will reformat the HDD, removing all data and restoring the Hard drive to its original state.

1. System Update

Selecting this option will install the PlayStation 3 Update but only if the update is on an external media storage device plugged into the console.

This option can be used if any issues are encountered with the installation of the System software update.

If you have any queries regarding this or any other issues please PM me or catch me on Twitter

@RabidWalker

Rabid :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 55 (142,090 Views)

Re: How you can use the Safe Mode menu if I have an issue with your PlayStation 3?

i have a problem with starting into safe mode, i get nothing, no menu but the system does restart...

i turned my ps3 on yesterday after a 3 week rest from playing it and it started an update, i came back after 10mins and the screen was blank with a green light on the console...

do you know if i can get this fixed on warrenty without having the paperwork, although i do have proof of when i bought it and signing onto the ps network..

any help you can give to save me sending it away for repair would be a great help.

thank you

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 55 (129,806 Views)
0 Kudos

I can get to safe mode no problem, My issue is I'm unable to use my controllers my playstation wont recognise them?

Any ideas

I have tried connecting them with the usb cable and pressing the ps button, the red light just flash.... Then nothing!

Please help!!! 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 55 (129,255 Views)
0 Kudos

I am having the same problem. Just change remotes and keep hitting the ps button. It will disconnect after a few seconds but just press it again. Worked for me! Hope u get it sorted.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 55 (125,571 Views)
0 Kudos

Thanks for the tip,

Amazon amazed me by letting me return my ps3 after 4 months for a full refund! I did however lose all my saved game data.. Not great! I have now bought a new one and I'm treating it with respect :-)

Regards
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 55 (125,552 Views)
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your help! You saved my PS3 and a trip to repairer. I was using vidzone for about 1.5 hours and the screen suddenly froze. I couldn't get it to restart properly and keep getting a frozen and then a black screen. Thanks to your tip and i tried to restart it in safe mode and the retore the setting and somehow it's working again now!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 55 (123,989 Views)
0 Kudos

i followed the steps it works fine then when i sign in within a afew seconds it cuts off and gets a red flashing light again i dont know what to do :/

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 55 (122,268 Views)
0 Kudos

Re: Using the Safe Mode function on your PlayStation 3?

Hey my ps3 didn't go into the safe mode screen.... I really need help! It just won't display, even though it has the green power light on. When I start it up, though, the LINKSYS light turns orange for 2 seconds, then goes black to black, then goes to orange for another 2 seconds then nothing. The fan starts up when I start up the ps3, but it quickly turns off.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 55 (115,234 Views)
0 Kudos

So how long is "may take some time". because it has been saying preparing to start for like 6 hours, but the screen isn't frozen or anything. Really any indication as to what is supposed to happen After any of the options are selected wold help me a lot right now.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 55 (114,959 Views)
0 Kudos