11 Aug 2012

Playstation Staff

Why does my PS3 either freeze or not read the disc!?

6 Replies 858 Views Created 11-08-2012

so ive been up all night trying to fix/find out whats wrong with my ps3. i have an 80gb old fat ps3 with the silver trim. my ps3 started freezing a day ago when i played nhl 12, it started getting worse the more i kept ignoring it. i tried other games like mw3 and it froze aswell. soon the disc started having problems, the ps3 would read it but when i played it would say there was an error. sometimes it doesnt even read the disc. i kept restarting the ps3 by holding the power button not pulling out cords or anything. sometimes the game would play but right away or at one of the loading screens it would freeze. but everytime its freezes it only freezes the game not the XMB. so when i choose quit game it doesnt quit and i end up having to shut it off myself. i did a little searching around on google and did some troubleshooting, i did the corrupt file thing when you hold the power button till it beeps twice, it says its corrupt and will fix but when i kept having problems i would do it again and it would still be corrupt. i also did the rubuild database option too. i took apart my ps3 and cleaned the blu ray lens properly and that didnt fix anything either. i saw somewhere that the problem was a browser virus and you have to completley restore your ps3. so i did that hoping everything would be fine after, and sure enough the same stuff is happening. if someone could help me that would be so greatly appreciated!!!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7 (858 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 9

Playstation Staff

Re: Why does my PS3 either freeze or not read the disc!?

your old ps3 is on its way out ... i think its time you get a new ps3.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My PS3 career don't end in November 2013... Trey for life!
----
>>REMEMBER TO GIVE KUDOS IF YOU LIKE>>> Thumb up!
----

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7 (847 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

i wouldn't rush to buy a slim their not much more reliable.my slims showing all the signs of your old fatty and it hasn't even reached its 1st birthday yet.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7 (841 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

i wish i had the money to go buy another haha but im just a teenager with no job :smileysad: this sucks hearing that my ps3 is at the end of its life

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7 (832 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I'm having the same problem, after the last update mw3 freezes after about two games it does'nt happen on any other game, I hope my ps is'nt about to die as I'm on my 6th ps !

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7 (790 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

i am having problems with my ps3 aswell, i was playing TBOGT earlier and the game froze, ps3 wouldnt shut it self so i had to switch it from the mains after that incident the ps3 stopped reading disks, i tried DVDS, games etc and the circle on the top right would just twirl and twirl. 

can someone help please 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7 (586 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

My first PS3 (also a fat 80Gb) had the same problem. I think the problem was the Blu-Ray tray (or whatever that's called) broke so it can't read any CDs, DVDs or Blu-Rays. From what I gathered, there was some sort of fault with a specific screw that would fall out (I'm not saying this was a completely reliable source mind, but it made sense at the time), and repairing it (replacing the Blu-Ray thing) would cost almost 3/4 the price of a new PS3.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7 (570 Views)
0 Kudos