19 May 2012
Playstation Staff
Accepted Solution

Why is a 320 slim Not 320GB ?

5 Replies 107 Views Created 19-05-2012

So i have noticed with my past ps3s that hdd space is missing.. on my last 320 i think i had 298 available.. But on my 1st ps a 80GB theres wasn't as much missing.. What is the 20ish (missing) GB actually used for ?.. plus am i right with the above numbers Or did i have a faulty ps ?... And if the missing/needed GB is, or was less for the 80GB.. Why use or need more for the newer (320) ones... lastly, is the 160GB 'missing' 22GB, or is that also different.. would just like to know if someone could answer.. thnx.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6 (107 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

Re: Why is a 320 slim Not 320GB ?

More space is required for storing OS files on a larger hard drive. Parts of the OS and file tables are stored in that space so it can't be seen as it can't be modified or accessed by the user.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6 (106 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Thanks for info... still don't 'understand' why a bigger hdd needs more spare space though.. i wonder how much a 1tb hdd would need to lose,,, tech, i'll Never get to the bottom of it... thnx again.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6 (103 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

It's because it needs a bigger table to point to all the spaces on the drive :smileywink: I'll borrow your imagination to help explain:

Imagine a small town that gets post delivered. (That's your 40GB drive.) Royal Mail only need a small sorting office to cope with all the houses. It's a small building on the high street with barely enough room to swing a cat.

Now imagine a big busy city like Glasgow. (That's your Terabyte hard drive.) It needs a huge sorting office that takes up the best part of a block in order to handle the huge number of houses.

So, a larger City/Drive needs a larger space to sort stuff :smileywink:

(More goes on in there than that, but that's one of the main reasons for the larger size.)
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6 (98 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

ok... you definately explained that one in an easy to grasp way. i can now see exactly how this system works and moreover Why it's needed.. thanks again.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6 (96 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

No problem :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6 (60 Views)
0 Kudos