01 Jun 2012
By cumbug

Playstation Staff

freezing then shutting down

4 Replies 748 Views Created 02-06-2012

pain in the arse.

my ps3 keeps freezing, it seems to happen when the graphics get a bit ott (high action scenes, etc) then shuts down leaving just the red light flashing. ive tried all the usual things, entering safe mode, rebuilding the database even a complete restore, this happens with all games, and at different times during game play, sometimes it freezes as soon as it starts, sometimes i get a good few games

HELP!!1!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5 (748 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Re: freezing then shutting down

[ Edited ]

It seems the newest firmware update (4.11) is the problem thought sony wont admit it. Dont bother playing much until a new update comes along. Il list my problems and what i have read online especially on the american forums page on sonys own site. I am on my 5th, yes, 5th ps3. This one is a 160gb slim thats 4 months old and a direct replacement from sony for my last breakdown.

It was slight at first and i thought it would be the usual overheating, hard drive failure, blu ray failure (so common, 4 and counting for me) but after looking up online it seems that alot of people have been experiencing

1. Game freezing

2. xmb freezing

3. controller connectivity problems

4. slow installations

5. slow loading games

6. crashs

7. inability to turn the ps3 console off after crashing

8. slow start up and slow accessing menus on the xmb

9. connection errors in the ps store

10. when a game works, loss of details and slow, ie. wheres the track disappeared to and what the hell is that big black box on the screen where the track should be, wait, its purple now, nope, white, orange, huh??

This and more, in the forums online!!

Heres my typical experience tonight.

I formatted my ps3 hard drive, erased everything, reinsalling and updating some things my friend invited me to play uncharted 2. I stopped and said i could usea break and play a game. Loaded the game, cant connect to multiplayer! Hold ps button and the xmb comes up, clock spinning and spinning, xmb icons show up eventually, spin......spin.....spin, what the hell is wrong, why wont they load? Il jus t move it over here to music, no wait, theres no icons at all! Move it back. Spin....spin....spin. EVENTUALLY, the option to quit the game comes up and i quit, same again when reloadong, but ive noticed my fan spinning like a  *****, it must be overheating or the hard drive is corrupt. Il try safe mode(hold the power button down in standyby mode until it beeps and keep holding until it powers off again. Press and hold again until you hear the double beep and get prompted to connect the controller with the usb lead and pick option 3 from the menu) Il tell you now to save some time, it doesnt f***ing work!! You risk making it worse, you only lose messages and any music playlists and videos/movies you have.

Ive restarted and the ps3 logo comes up straightaway, then the wavy ribbon, and i wait.....AND WAIT....then the photosensitive epilepsy warning appears. Soon then the theme loads up. I have my ps3 saves and extra downloaded content in folders, open them, takes a mini iceage for them to open and load the icon and content. Forget about playing games, the freezing issues happen alot eve if the game loads up. You might be lucky and get through an offline session with some games, even demos, but it seems like the pronlem starts off small and gets bigger and bigger until you get to where i am now. Its not the games, im 100% certain of that. Now ive got to install almost 5000 trophies again on my harddrive which will be twice as long after a few crashes and whtever the hell it is sony did with this poxy update.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5 (741 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I have the same thing, been happening for about a week now. Please fix this Sony or at least point me in the direction to go back to an older firmware.

I can play a game or even a few and then it'll happen, the screen starts to lag a lot and then completely freeze and shut off. Sometimes it'll freeze at the playstation menu and other times I can have a hour of play. Please let me know, this is my second PS3 and don't want to have to keep buying one every year.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5 (567 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Just happened again, literally two seconds after I selected the user on start up it happened. Not a happy gamer.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5 (564 Views)
0 Kudos
Playstation Staff

Are there any flashing lights on the console when it shuts down?

SFZ

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5 (551 Views)
0 Kudos