Reply
28 Feb 2012
Member
Playstation Staff

i got electric shock from my ps3 controller

29 Replies 994 Views Created 28-02-2012

hello people,

 

i was just reading about the "maximum amount of power i being suplied to the usb ports" message and last year my controller wouldn't charge i tried about 8 times an then i plugged it in again but before it come into contact a spark jumped from the cable to the controller an made a loud snapping noise i was holding the controller an got a small electric shock but shortly after the message  "maximum amount of power i being suplied to the usb ports" came up on screen an my controller never worked since i now have a new ps3 slim 320gb an starting to get same problem with controller it was stuggling to charge at first but sometimes it work then it didnt e.g it stopped working last night tried for an hour to get it to work give up an went to sleep woke up an it worked fine but only for a few hours an now it wont work at all tried everything, charge with pc, reset controller, tried 2 cables, other usb port ect. i got it to work for a second at one point but now its bean dead for 2 hours an nothing is working please help im in the middle of a game and its really getting to me now i might just get a new controller but dont want to waste money as im saving up for my car. ty

Please use plain text.
Reply
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 30 (994 Views)
Reply
0 Kudos
Level 4
 
Playstation Staff

Re: i got electric shock from my ps3 controller

[ Edited ]

you have two problems I read from your post

 

1. spark a while back - where was the other end of your charging cable plugged into  PS3 - or a third party charting dock or something else ?

 

2. controller not holding charge. They have rechargeable batteries that fade with age. If its serveral years old this will be the reason - you can get replacement batteries and replace it yoursef off ebay which would be cheaper but more time consuming for you or just buy a new controller

 

3. saving for a car.. The most you should pay for a new controller is £35 including postage, wont set you back much on your savings..

 

see amazon

 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B005UB1KOE/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&qid=1330417243&sr=8-1&con...

 

 

 

 

 

Please use plain text.
Reply
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 30 (969 Views)
Reply
0 Kudos
Level 11
 
Playstation Staff

Re: i got electric shock from my ps3 controller

 

With a 3.7 volt battery it must of been one hell of a shock. :smileyvery-happy:


SneezeSneeze
Please use plain text.
Reply
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 30 (951 Views)
Reply
0 Kudos
Level 5
 
Playstation Staff

Re: i got electric shock from my ps3 controller

hmmm.... I smell BS.
Please use plain text.
Reply
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 30 (944 Views)
Reply
0 Kudos
Level 1
 
Playstation Staff

Re: i got electric shock from my ps3 controller

[ Edited ]

castaway666 wrote:
hmmm.... I smell BS.

 

so do i, OP you said "spark jumped from the cable to the controller an made a loud snapping noise i was holding the controller an got a small electric shock"

 

1. controllers are plastic and dont conduct electricity.

 

2. the metal parts inside a USB the bits that conduct the electricity are lying ontop of plastic to stop them from touching the metal frame on the outside they use plastic because it does not conduct the electricity therefor electricity can not jump from the metal contacts on the inside to the outer metal

 

3. theres bearly enough power coming from a USB port to even shock a mouse, its about the same amount of electricity that your own body produces from static its no more than 5.25V

 

4. theres actually no power going through a USB untill both ends have been connected to something wanna try it? plug your usb into the ps3 and stick your tounge on the other end of the usb and guess what nothing happens.

 

5. you can use a bent out paper clip to bridge the metal contacts on a powered USB port on a laptop/pc and you will get a overload message but you dont get a electric shock from holding the paper clip at the same time.

 

stop been a wuss :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Reply
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 30 (939 Views)
Reply
0 Kudos
Level 1
 
Playstation Staff

Re: i got electric shock from my ps3 controller

it may be the battery as i had controller longer than the playstation an i recently had chrged my phone with my playstation because i lost my charger but i had usb that may explain the usb port message thank you for the help unlike everyone else.

 

to everyone else,

 

1.i wasnt gonna go into detail because i thought you guys were more grown up but i had 1 finger on the screws under the controller i remember because i said the same to my mate he said how were you holding it i showed him an he said about the screws.

 

2.i seen the spark jump with my own eyes it was about 1 or 2 milimeters away from controller.

 

3.the message said the maximum amount of power is being supplied to the usb ports so maybe it was more than usally i dont know im not a tech wizz  to be quite honest i dont care i know what happend an thats enough for me i think you know when you get an electric shock.

 

4.i was putting the lead in an out as many times as i could to get it to work maybe i was as i pulled it out there was still electricity i dont know im not a tech wizz.

 

5.i know you can touch them with metal because i cleaned the contacts with metal.

 

6.how is that being a wuss? i said i got an electric shock i didnt say it hurt an i cried like a baby.

 

7.try to think things through before being a smart arse.

 

im not even sure if the contacts were wet i cant remember as i said it was a year ago

THANKS AGAIN EXISTENZ1 FOR BEING THE ONLY SENSIBLE PERSON HERE.

Please use plain text.
Reply
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 30 (910 Views)
Reply
0 Kudos
Level 1
 
Playstation Staff

Re: i got electric shock from my ps3 controller

an another thing,

 

it was enough to make me drop the controller and the controller never worked again ive dropped many controllers many times they still work so something happend to make the controller stop working maybe a short circuit FOR THE LAST TIME I DONT KNOW IM NOT A TECH WIZZ!!!!

Please use plain text.
Reply
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 30 (905 Views)
Reply
0 Kudos
Level 7
 
Playstation Staff

Re: i got electric shock from my ps3 controller


spacemonkey9695 wrote:

 

6.how is that being a wuss? i said i got an electric shock i didnt say it hurt an i cried like a baby.

 



:smileyvery-happy:

 

Thanks for cheering a broke bloke up spacemonkey.

Please use plain text.
Reply
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 30 (895 Views)
Reply
0 Kudos
Level 5
 
Playstation Staff

Re: i got electric shock from my ps3 controller

Still call BS on this.

on a similar topic, I remember getting a shock after forgetting to unplug my range cooker when doing some work on the electric dial, that was fun having the full current go across my chest... still didn't drop my screw-driver!
Please use plain text.
Reply
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 30 (886 Views)
Reply
0 Kudos
Level 9
 
Playstation Staff

Re: i got electric shock from my ps3 controller

it must have been....

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My PS3 career don't end in November 2013... Trey for life!
----
>>REMEMBER TO GIVE KUDOS IF YOU LIKE>>> Thumb up!
----

Please use plain text.
Reply
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 30 (854 Views)
Reply
0 Kudos