02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

i got electric shock from my ps3 controller

29 Replies 1,384 Views Created 28-02-2012

hello people,

i was just reading about the "maximum amount of power i being suplied to the usb ports" message and last year my controller wouldn't charge i tried about 8 times an then i plugged it in again but before it come into contact a spark jumped from the cable to the controller an made a loud snapping noise i was holding the controller an got a small electric shock but shortly after the message  "maximum amount of power i being suplied to the usb ports" came up on screen an my controller never worked since i now have a new ps3 slim 320gb an starting to get same problem with controller it was stuggling to charge at first but sometimes it work then it didnt e.g it stopped working last night tried for an hour to get it to work give up an went to sleep woke up an it worked fine but only for a few hours an now it wont work at all tried everything, charge with pc, reset controller, tried 2 cables, other usb port ect. i got it to work for a second at one point but now its bean dead for 2 hours an nothing is working please help im in the middle of a game and its really getting to me now i might just get a new controller but dont want to waste money as im saving up for my car. ty

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

existenz1

94%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
existenz1
Accepted Solution

you have two problems I read from your post

1. spark a while back - where was the other end of your charging cable plugged into  PS3 - or a third party charting dock or something else ?

2. controller not holding charge. They have rechargeable batteries that fade with age. If its serveral years old this will be the reason - you can get replacement batteries and replace it yoursef off ebay which would be cheaper but more time consuming for you or just buy a new controller

3. saving for a car.. The most you should pay for a new controller is £35 including postage, wont set you back much on your savings..

see amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B005UB1KOE/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&qid=1330417243&sr=8-1&con...

0 Kudos

Re: i got electric shock from my ps3 controller

[ Edited ]
/16

spacemonkey9695

59%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
spacemonkey9695
Accepted Solution

it may be the battery as i had controller longer than the playstation an i recently had chrged my phone with my playstation because i lost my charger but i had usb that may explain the usb port message thank you for the help unlike everyone else.

to everyone else,

1.i wasnt gonna go into detail because i thought you guys were more grown up but i had 1 finger on the screws under the controller i remember because i said the same to my mate he said how were you holding it i showed him an he said about the screws.

2.i seen the spark jump with my own eyes it was about 1 or 2 milimeters away from controller.

3.the message said the maximum amount of power is being supplied to the usb ports so maybe it was more than usally i dont know im not a tech wizz  to be quite honest i dont care i know what happend an thats enough for me i think you know when you get an electric shock.

4.i was putting the lead in an out as many times as i could to get it to work maybe i was as i pulled it out there was still electricity i dont know im not a tech wizz.

5.i know you can touch them with metal because i cleaned the contacts with metal.

6.how is that being a wuss? i said i got an electric shock i didnt say it hurt an i cried like a baby.

7.try to think things through before being a smart arse.

im not even sure if the contacts were wet i cant remember as i said it was a year ago

THANKS AGAIN EXISTENZ1 FOR BEING THE ONLY SENSIBLE PERSON HERE.

0 Kudos

/16

spacemonkey9695

59%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
spacemonkey9695
Accepted Solution

an another thing,

it was enough to make me drop the controller and the controller never worked again ive dropped many controllers many times they still work so something happend to make the controller stop working maybe a short circuit FOR THE LAST TIME I DONT KNOW IM NOT A TECH WIZZ!!!!

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

fski

• Award Winner
97%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
fski
Accepted Solution

spacemonkey9695 wrote:

6.how is that being a wuss? i said i got an electric shock i didnt say it hurt an i cried like a baby.

:smileyvery-happy:

Thanks for cheering a broke bloke up spacemonkey.

0 Kudos

MVP
/16

castaway666

• MVP
99%
13 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
castaway666
Accepted Solution
Still call BS on this.

on a similar topic, I remember getting a shock after forgetting to unplug my range cooker when doing some work on the electric dial, that was fun having the full current go across my chest... still didn't drop my screw-driver!
0 Kudos

/16

RONNYNS

92%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RONNYNS
Accepted Solution

it must have been....

0 Kudos

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My PS3 career don't end in November 2013... Trey for life!
----
>>REMEMBER TO GIVE KUDOS IF YOU LIKE>>> Thumb up!
----

/16

spacemonkey9695

59%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
spacemonkey9695
Accepted Solution

I CALL BS ON THAT of course you dont drop it while geting electric shock in fact it tenses your musles so you hold it tighter but surly you would drop it after as a natral reaction.

0 Kudos

/16

LarasAider

90%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
LarasAider
Accepted Solution

spacemonkey9695 wrote:

I CALL BS ON THAT of course you dont drop it while geting electric shock in fact it tenses your musles so you hold it tighter but surly you would drop it after as a natral reaction.

Only if he's holding something that conducts Electricity. Like someone else said the Dualshock 3/Sixaxis is made of plastic n' plastic doesn't conduct. The Electricity, the op is incuring is static, which he can pick up anywhere and just this morning, I got it from my TV. The op is looking way into this and he shouldn't be; Static Electricity is a natural energy that we all have to live with. 

"Did you know that chucking devices that contain elements into a bath tub full of water; are the only products that can kill you. So I wonder what would happen; if I threw my PS3 in the bath tub".

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
To Gaming... Always Faithful.

Error: Undergoing Maintenance
MVP
/16

castaway666

• MVP
99%
13 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
castaway666
Accepted Solution
did OP shout Shazam at the same time?
0 Kudos

/16

spacemonkey9695

59%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
spacemonkey9695
Accepted Solution

castaway666 wrote:
did OP shout Shazam at the same time?

i just think this is out of hand i was just making a simple statment on what happend a year ago an whats happening now because i didnt want another controller to break an was wondering if anyone knew how to sort the problem but i solved it anyway i got a new lead but it didnt work it was really loose though so i bent the metal at the top and bottom inwards and it works now and its tight but seriously though it did make a spark i dont know how but it did i saw it myself i wish someone else was there to back it up but thanks for the help to the people that did actually try an btw facts are not always the best things to follow if we did that the world would still be in the stone age its a combination of fact, idea, and discovery sometimes the fact has to be forgoten to improve the worlds technolegy other times the fact needs to be remembered to avoid mistakes but the point is sometimes you need to forget the fact to make the idea into a discovery this has nothing to do with this i know but i heard it before an thought this is the most apropriate time im ever gonna get to say it, moving on problem solved everyone just get on with your lives an have some fun people 

"When the going gets tough, the tough do what they do, while the wise find the game in it."
- the Oaqui by way of Rick Hamrick
  "Ask not what fun does for you, but what you do for fun!"
- the Oaqui

0 Kudos

/16

spacemonkey9695

59%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
spacemonkey9695
Accepted Solution

the cast away quote is not surposed to be in there btw soz

an yeah case closed.

0 Kudos

MVP
/16

mont348

• MVP
98%
11 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
mont348
Accepted Solution

With a 3.7 volt battery it must of been one hell of a shock. :D

0 Kudos

Nested replies sux what were they thinking?
MVP
/16

castaway666

• MVP
99%
13 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
castaway666
Accepted Solution
hmmm.... I smell BS.
0 Kudos

/16

Paradox-1701

68%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Paradox-1701
Accepted Solution

castaway666 wrote:
hmmm.... I smell BS.

so do i, OP you said "spark jumped from the cable to the controller an made a loud snapping noise i was holding the controller an got a small electric shock"

1. controllers are plastic and dont conduct electricity.

2. the metal parts inside a USB the bits that conduct the electricity are lying ontop of plastic to stop them from touching the metal frame on the outside they use plastic because it does not conduct the electricity therefor electricity can not jump from the metal contacts on the inside to the outer metal

3. theres bearly enough power coming from a USB port to even shock a mouse, its about the same amount of electricity that your own body produces from static its no more than 5.25V

4. theres actually no power going through a USB untill both ends have been connected to something wanna try it? plug your usb into the ps3 and stick your tounge on the other end of the usb and guess what nothing happens.

5. you can use a bent out paper clip to bridge the metal contacts on a powered USB port on a laptop/pc and you will get a overload message but you dont get a electric shock from holding the paper clip at the same time.

stop been a wuss :)

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Beta Tester
/16

Jacko_the_lad

• Beta Tester
99%
13 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Jacko_the_lad
Accepted Solution

This is like that time I almost drowned in a desert.

0 Kudos

/16

D-E-S_87

77%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
D-E-S_87
Accepted Solution

So that's why it's called a "Dualshock 3" :Lol:

But on a more serious note, you might need to buy a new controller.

0 Kudos

/16

LarasAider

90%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
LarasAider
Accepted Solution

This thread is getting out of hand with the ridiculous comments being added. I other hand am inclined to believe the op cos' I believe that technology can do some strange things at times and we all know the PS3 or its components aren't perfect. 

0 Kudos

To Gaming... Always Faithful.

Error: Undergoing Maintenance
/16

spacemonkey9695

59%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
spacemonkey9695
Accepted Solution

thank you larasaider.

an thank for the jokes people.

at least some people have more of a wish to make people laugh than fault people on everything they can theres a name for these people but i wont mention it.

0 Kudos

/16

Paradox-1701

68%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Paradox-1701
Accepted Solution

Jacko_the_lad wrote:

This is like that time I almost drowned in a desert.

:Lol: i nearly did that one too its really not fun :P

on a serious note spacemonkey the wuss was a joke lighten up and get over it and you said "THANKS AGAIN EXISTENZ1 FOR BEING THE ONLY SENSIBLE PERSON HERE."

stating my reply was not sensible, sorry i thought my reply was sensible i simply stated a few facts nothing more sensible about that :Thumbs:

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Beta Tester
/16

lfcrule1972

• Beta Tester
97%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved