22 Jun 2012

Playstation Staff

ps3 slim switching off after 30 or so mins

3 Replies 286 Views Created 22-06-2012

I have had my slim for a few months under 3 years and fortunately still have my extended warranty cover.  However I have read the ps3 switching itself off can be something to do with the power supply lead and/or overheating, rather than the actual ps3. 

When my slim goes off , every light goes off and it wil not come back on straightaway  It has done this playing 2 different games and also last night with  no game in at all just at the menu.I do not play it excessively ( prior to last night It was 6 nights ago when i last used it)

I keep my ps3 pretty well ventilated and was hoping someone with far more knolwedge than myself on ps3's could give me advice on what to do next.

Thank you

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4 (286 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Re: ps3 slim switching off after 30 or so mins

Seems like it is switching its self to avoid over heating.
Maybe the fan is busted.
I think if the PS3 gets to a certain temperature it shuts down to protect the mother board from over heating.
Phone Sony support.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4 (273 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Thank you for the reply. I meant to put in my first post I actually watch quite a bit of tv/ movies thru my ps3 and seem to have no problems. 

This would back up what you said about the fan as I am sure a game with all the loading up takes more out of the ps3 than running a tv downloaded from the USB, would you agree?

Also any idea on price of the fans i presume I would have to get someone to install it too. 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4 (271 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Price wise shouldn't matter as you say you still have your extended warranty so you can get it fixed for free, ring whoever you bought it from/ whoever you have the warranty with and if that fails, call sony and they will advise you.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4 (256 Views)
0 Kudos