30 Aug 2013
Playstation Staff

"Cannot start. The appropriate system storage was not found" message on start-up. Please help.

12 Replies 16,816 Views Created 30-08-2013

Hi, as the subject matter states, I am suddenly getting the message "Cannot start. The appropriate system storage was not found" whenever I am turning on my PS3. To get a better overview of how it has lead to this, I will give a full rundown of what has happened as this problem has just occurred last night.

Now, I have owned my PS3 for just over a year now, and it is the Slim 3003B 320GB model. Basically what had happened was, I turned on my PS3 which had been operating as normally as usual. Then, what I did was delete a digital version of Spec Ops which I had downloaded a few days ago as it was free through the PS+ Collection; and I usually do this whenever I finish a digital version of a game to conserve the space. Now, after deleting the game I checked up on how much memory I had left - approximately 88GB. Now that wasn't an issue, however the problem occurred once I began playing Borderlands 2. I had the disc already inserted, so I simply started the game from the XMB. Before I could actually play the game, I was prompted to download the latest patch - 1.08. There wasn't an issue with the patch downloading, in which I had spent the time doing something else. As I got back to check up on the progress, knowing that the patch has downloaded and installed by now, I thought I could finally play... But the most unusual thing had happened. I was aware the Borderlands 2 intro scene would be playing due to the fact that I didn't press start to go to the menu, but as it did play, it was frozen. It then stuttered to the next scene and played for 2 seconds and then froze again. I pressed start on the controller - nothing happened. Also, I pressed the PS button, and nothing... I noticed an unusual sound. It was like a clicking and somewhat slight grinding noise coming from the PS3 itself. My initial thought was that the disc reader had failed. But I also noticed the HDD led was also on (not flashing, but the light was just on). As I didn't know what had happened, or what I could do, I decided to turn the PS3 off by pressing the power button once, and not holding it down or anything. My PS3 didn't turn off, and the green power led was just flashing. I panicked so I then pressed the eject button, as that was all happening, to take out my Borderlands 2 disc.

As the green power led was still flashing alongside the hdd led and the clicking noise. I decided on my last resort to turn the system off through uplugging it from the mains. I waited for a while and then plugged it back in. Then I turned the system on, which lead me to encountering that message. as the system turned on, the same clicking/grindy noise could be heard and the hdd led being on. I looked up on how to resolve this problem and the first thing I decided to do was turn the system on in safe mode.

So I turned the system off, and did all the methods of starting up in safe mode. However, it never went into safe mode, the same message was still there. I did the safe mode method three times, but nothing happened, I just couldn't get into safe mode.

Now, I found out another way I could resolve the issue... This way lead me take out my hard drive and put it back in, as people have mentioned that it could've been loose in which I had to simply take it out and push it back in properly. So I tried doing that, and as I turned the system back on, the same clicky/grindy noise was still there, and the same message came up. So the problem was not resolved.

Please if anyone can help me, I have no clue on what to do now... I have had the system for a little over a year now, and surely the HDD cannot fail on me that quick. I'm on the verge of purchasing another hard drive, either the Hitachi Travelstar or the Seagate Momentus, both 750gb as I won't really need 1TB and both are at 5400rpm. However I'm a little sceptical on if I should get the Hitachi, because the hard drive that was in the PS3 is also a Hitachi... But then again I don't even know what the initial problem is to start with. But suggestions would be very useful for choices on the next hard drive also. Thank you.

On a side note, to get more of an idea to what has happened... Before the problem had occurred - (before deleting a game and starting up Borderlands 2) I was using Netflix, and I left a show paused, and later came back to see that the system was off automatically. I don't have any pets or children, and I know I myself wouldn't have turned off the system for no reason whatsoever so that was pretty unusual but I thought nothing of it. So that's what happened before the initial problem.

Thank you for reading, apologies if this was all too much as I felt like I needed to explain in full detail so I can resolve this issue.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 13 (16,816 Views)
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Re: "Cannot start. The appropriate system storage was not found" message on start-up. Pl

The HDD is dead. The loud clicking you hear emanating from it proves it. And, sorry, HDDs can fail at any time. I've had a 500 gig Seagate last just under 7 months before, which they replaced after I RMA'd it to them. Plus, we all have out prefered HDD manufacturer. I prefer Western Digital. My advice in deciding between Hitachi and Seagate is to do some research by checking out product reviews on Amazon and similar sites before you make a decision.

My PSN Profile

All blank friend requests will be refused.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13 (16,812 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

Re: "Cannot start. The appropriate system storage was not found" message on start-up. Pl

Well, I guess so then.  Thank you for your help.  I've heard Western Digital HDDs are very reliable and have good performance so I think I'll go with them and buy a 500GB drive...  Let's just hope it doesn't turn into an unlucky streak with me having to buy another PS3 aswell.

Thank you once again.   

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13 (16,774 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

Hey, just as you've suggested, I bought a new hard drive and it was a Western Digital - WD7500BPVT, 750GB.  It arrived today and I basically replaced the old drive with this...  However the problem still remains just like last time - as soon as I turn the system on, the tv switches to a lower resolution and then the message becomes apparent.  Now, there isn't any unusal sounds coming from the hard drive this time with the new hard drive, which would mean that it's operating fine.  But even with this new drive I have no Idea what the problem is.  I've placed the hard drive as securely as I could, and I've even tried to boot up in safe mode but all that occurs is the message appearing.  Is it something to do with the actual internal drive connectors? (Which would then require the console being serviced and me dishing out a lot of money, which is the last thing I want to happen).

Please find a solution for me, thank you.    

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13 (16,692 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

If you boot without the drive inserted does it show the exact same message? I can't remember if there's a difference in the messages.

If the message remains after a few attempts at inserting/removing that'd indicate a broken connection between the PS3's SATA port and the hard drive. You could try the drive in a PC to see if the drive is functional.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13 (16,687 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the message would definitely be apparent if I did boot up the system without a hard drive.  But I did try that, and the same message appears.  I've also had many attempts at reinserting the hard drive...  Still no luck.  Presumably, it must be the case of the internal SATA port being broken.  Do you think it could work if I try and format the hard drive on my PC?   

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13 (16,661 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I am having the same problem. Any advice on how i could fix this?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13 (14,159 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

Hi, the best solution I would suggest for you would be to purchase another hard drive.  And yes, although I did mention that's what I initially did; the thing is, the hard drive I had bought soon after I was faced with this problem turned out to be pretty faulty and just didn't seem to work with my PS3.  So that's the reason I presumed it could've been an internal problem before I realised it wasn't after I bought another.  So yes, I soon decided to purchase another hard drive to give it another shot, and it actually worked.  Luckily I had PS Plus so all my game saves were okay, and I didn't really mind re-downloading my DLCs overnight.  

So yeah, I hope you get to resolve this issue same way I did, hope this helps.  :smileyhappy:  :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13 (13,916 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I have the same problem.. But mine makes a distinctive fan sound for a few seconds, then stops. I also can't insert my disc in. Can anyone help?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13 (13,461 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I have the same problem.I was on YouTube then suddenly I heard a fan noise coming from the ps3 then I restarted the system it was same noise and it said "the approprite system stroage was not found"
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13 (12,736 Views)
0 Kudos